Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small acts of kindness for Korea's neglected dogs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainman3277

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
ejyanaika wrote:

Everyone told me that no matter what, the law wouldn't be on my side. I believe the korean person i met/asked called the police for me about the situation. But then again she may have been hesistant about it. So i just wore a hoody and tore everything down and unchained the dogs. I was not going to have another night of listening to a dog getting beaten to death.

Regardless if it's animals, i see it often with people here too. Someone falls, or there is a situation on the subway, and no one does anything. The apathy boggles me. But there are times when you do see those random acts of kindness and it's really touching.

To paraphrase Chris Rock, this is like you coming on Dave's and saying "I take care of my kids, you should too." "At least I've never gotten drunk and thrown in jail". You're supposed to do that stuff. That doesn't make you special.

That was the EXACT thing I thought of after reading the original post, haha!
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
[

I mostly agree with you till the end.

It sounds a bit racist and non-democratic (im sure you didnt meant to sound that way) but in a democratic society the temporary korean citizens should have an outlet to speak their mind about the community they live in. .

What the heck is a temporary Korean citizen?

Either one is a citizen or one is not.

Do you mean NON-Korean temporary RESIDENT? Or are you in fact a Korean citizen?
rainman3277

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:
Mix1 wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:

small acts of kindness or almost always selfishly motivated. that's why they are small. just enough to relieve your guilt.

@Scorpion: When it comes to helping animals, you're always going to have a few making fun of it; it makes them feel manly. .

What an ignorant statement. I know loads of 'manly' guys who love dogs, myself included. I've visited shelters in korea and participated in fund raisers for sheltered animals and it hasn't derailed my life in the slightest. But posting about give a sole dog a bone being a small act of kindness is about the laziest kindness and totally emotionally self serving. Should be titled smallest act of kindness, and that's why the poster is not being applauded by many. This kindness is so small 90% wouldn't even think about it. They would just do it and forget it. Like feeding the pigeons.

So, do you want a medal? Presumably, you've done a little more for dogs than the OP, good for you. Now you're being sanctimonious and saying he's not doing enough. Whatever. You could have been cool in explaining your point to him, but instead you chose to be a jerk and make jokes deriding him.

As for the 'manly' thing, if you can't see that side of it, that's the ignorant part. Despite what you've done for dogs, the main point still stands. You might consider yourself manly, but usually your type of actions are met with derision from plenty here who love to joke about dog soup, etc.

Animal lovers hating on other animal lovers. Hilarious.

First, I'm not hating on animal lovers at all. That's not the root of my or others objection at all.
Second, do you know what 'manly' means? Your defence of your original use of it is pretty unbelievable.
Third, my statement about fundraising wasn't an attempt at boasting. It was to support the prevailing opinion here that the posters actions were more about personal gratification rather than compassion, despite it's veiling. That being said, if you do think those working at charitable organization are equal in benevolence as the poster, you must have an even lower opinion of philanthropists.

You must be thrilled with yourself all day when dropping a buck in the UNICEF box at Christmas.
Mix1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:

First, I'm not hating on animal lovers at all. That's not the root of my or others objection at all.
Second, do you know what 'manly' means? Your defence of your original use of it is pretty unbelievable.

Believe it. So, what do YOU think it means? I know it's a difficult word and all...

The rest of your response is all over the map. And ironically, YOU are the one patting yourself on the back here, by lauding your presumed charitable actions over other peoples' actions who don't measure up to your standards.

Do you hoover next to the UNICEF bucket and lambast the donators who don't meet your standards as well?

"A dollar? Don't pat yourself on the back over that! You just did it for yourself and your guilt! I put in five dollars and volunteered 5 minutes at a soup kitchen! I'm better than you!"
Laughing
tigershark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

FYI - I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to give dogs chicken bones as they can splinter and cause damage to their dog esophagus. Pretty sure that's a thing. Other bones are fine though.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever hear that the best way to help beggars and homeless people is to donate to charities and not to just hand them money? The same goes for stray animals. You may feel better because you fed a stray but you will make a much bigger impact if you donate time or make a donation to an animal shelter or group that helps animals. That'll make much more of a positive impact in the long run. I gave a few links on page 1 of this thread.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you ever hear that the best way to help beggars and homeless people is to donate to charities and not to just hand them money?

Spot on! - I just give them 1L bottles of soju instead!
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you ever hear that the best way to help beggars and homeless people is to donate to charities and not to just hand them money?

Spot on! - I just give them 1L bottles of soju instead!
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails dude, again your posts suggest that you really are rather odd. You say that showing compassion to a neglected dog tied to a two-foot leash for its entire life (often in sub zero temperatures) is equvivalent to handing out candy to kids in class. Is that really your final answer? Or would you like some more time to think about that one? Because if that's what you believe then you have no moral compass..or you're just nuts. And while we're on the 'nuts' theory, what's with the enormous posts all the time. Have you no life outside of Dave's? It sure seems that way. I've even seen posts from you entered in the middle of the night. Do you not read? Do you have no social life or friends. Honestly, as someone else suggested to you a few weeks ago, take a friggin rest and let someone else don the superhero garb for a while and defend Korea's honor. Join a club, find a girlfriend, take up chess. Something. Your entire life cannot be about trolling Dave's looking to confront all challengers over every little thing.

Oh, and did I mention the lengths of your posts? WTF?

Do us all a favor and take a vacation. Even superheroes need downtime.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You say that showing compassion to a neglected dog tied to a two-foot leash for its entire life (often in sub zero temperatures) is equvivalent to handing out candy to kids in class.

Go back and read the context of that post.

The person wrote that they feels that the he brings the dog great joy in life because he walks up with meat and the dog gets all excited. Sorry, that's what ALL DOGS do. So its perfectly fine to compare that to an NET saying that he is the brightest joy in his students' lives because he walks in with a big bag of candy.

I'm implying that the dog doesn't get as much "joy" as he thinks it does. I could walk up to that dog with a steak and that dog would go just as nuts. I could walk up to the best treated dog in the world with a steak and it would go nuts.

Quote:
what's with the enormous posts all the time.

A post that agrees with you is well-thought out. A post that disagrees with you is long winded and enormous. It's not the length that bothers you, its the content.

Sorry, I actually try to elaborate my rationales, not just do things in 30 second sound bites, which are the death of discourse.

Quote:
Have you no life outside of Dave's? It sure seems that way. I've even seen posts from you entered in the middle of the night. Do you not read? Do you have no social life or friends.

Most of those late night posts are after spending 8 hours out on the town living a social life and meeting with friends. Believe it or not there are stretches where I don't post much here at all- girlfriend time, busy with work, doing stuff, weekends. Most of the posts here are hammered out in about 15 minutes in the morning to wake up, during mid-afternoon after classes finish, and late at night at drunk 30.

Maybe it takes you an hour to write 3 paragraphs. It takes me about 3-5 minutes.

But yes, I do LOVE to argue.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. But when the impulse to argue (and attain personal satisfaction from arguing) overides all other considerations, even moral considerations, there's a problem.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
My dog eats a diet that is mainly those "dry pebbles." Those dry pebbles cost me a fortune, as I use a mixture of Orijen (amazingly high-quality food from Canada) and Royal Canine (gastro-intestinal formula) and are really good for his teeth. He also gets some sweet potato, dehydrated bananas, and one egg a week, as well as that My Beau amino-acid and vitamin goo from New Zealand, but yeah, dry kibble is often better for dogs than most soft foods.

If the owner doesn't mind, sure, give the pooch some meat (off the bone) that isn't seasoned (salt is bad for dogs, and onions and garlic can make them really ill) and brighten its day. I don't love the idea of dogs being chained outside all day, so again, if the owner is okay with it, go for it. I do the same with a couple of dogs in my neighborhood, though their situations aren't as bad. The owners know, though, and are cool with me bringing a milk bone (made for dogs) or pig ear (also made for dogs) once or twice a week.

NYC Gal, thank you for your advice. Where do you find milk bone in Korea? Is it available in supermarkets or do I need to go to a specialty store....As I say I've never owned a dog, so all informed advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. But when the impulse to argue (and attain personal satisfaction from arguing) overides all other considerations, even moral considerations, there's a problem.

Burt of course, someone who has the need to 'vent' about Korea, comes onto Dave's to 'vent' about Koreans in a racially immoral manner is justified as they're "just letting off steam.

That being said, I think there are some clear moral arguments as well as practical ones. Look, it wasn't just me who took exceptions to this guy's post or the one where we thought the guy was going onto private property to break stuff while trying to dodge the CCTV.

Most of the arguments aren't so much about the morals of what the person is doing but their motivations for doing so, the manner in which they do it, and posting on here. Like I said, it comes across as some lecture to throw money into the Salvation Army bucket or to give money to the poor or be nice to kids. That's stuff you're supposed to do. Coming on Dave's and announcing it to the world makes you wonder what the deal is. There have been other animal posts on Dave's, many of which haven't provoked this kind of reaction.

Something stunk about the whole thing, that's why many posters took exception.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
My dog eats a diet that is mainly those "dry pebbles." Those dry pebbles cost me a fortune, as I use a mixture of Orijen (amazingly high-quality food from Canada) and Royal Canine (gastro-intestinal formula) and are really good for his teeth. He also gets some sweet potato, dehydrated bananas, and one egg a week, as well as that My Beau amino-acid and vitamin goo from New Zealand, but yeah, dry kibble is often better for dogs than most soft foods.

If the owner doesn't mind, sure, give the pooch some meat (off the bone) that isn't seasoned (salt is bad for dogs, and onions and garlic can make them really ill) and brighten its day. I don't love the idea of dogs being chained outside all day, so again, if the owner is okay with it, go for it. I do the same with a couple of dogs in my neighborhood, though their situations aren't as bad. The owners know, though, and are cool with me bringing a milk bone (made for dogs) or pig ear (also made for dogs) once or twice a week.

NYC Gal, thank you for your advice. Where do you find milk bone in Korea? Is it available in supermarkets or do I need to go to a specialty store....As I say I've never owned a dog, so all informed advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

You can find them in the pet sections of any supermarket. They're usually called Milk Gum and come in all shapes and sizes. Some of them have chicken jerkey on them. My dog goes crazy for those.

This week, I'm having all of my students with dogs give me any of their old dog coats and shirts, which I'm laundering and sending to a no-kill shelter that I visited when I was in Busan, along with a bag of detergent (they have lots of blankets to launder.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: