Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short layover question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Short layover question Reply with quote

Just curious. I'm eyeing a ticket on Delta flying from Incheon to Washington, DC, via Detroit. The problem is, the layover in Detroit is just 90 minutes. I'm wondering if that's enough to make my connecting flight.

I've done other searches on this and many say Detroit's airport is efficient and good with being on time and such. Still, such a short layover time is unnerving for me, esp. since it's an international flight.

Thanks.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Detroit immigration and its efficiency, but I've had to connect through Detroit numerous times domestically. Never had any problems, very easy to get around. You should be good to go. I'm also assuming you're flying Delta (at least to DC). They have plenty of daily flights to DC (all 3 airports), so even if you had bad luck and missed your scheduled flight, I doubt you'd get into DC more than a few hours later than planned.

I would definitely feel more comfortable flying into DTW than LAX and O'Hare with a 90 minute layover.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Short layover question Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Just curious. I'm eyeing a ticket on Delta flying from Incheon to Washington, DC, via Detroit. The problem is, the layover in Detroit is just 90 minutes. I'm wondering if that's enough to make my connecting flight.

I've done other searches on this and many say Detroit's airport is efficient and good with being on time and such. Still, such a short layover time is unnerving for me, esp. since it's an international flight.

Thanks.

Hell no, it's not enough. At LAX it commonly takes up to 2 hours to get through immigration alone. There is an extremely high probablity you'll miss your flight.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
even if you had bad luck and missed your scheduled flight, I doubt you'd get into DC more than a few hours later than planned.

Yeah but does he pay for the later flight? I assume the flights are all in one deal.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Short layover question Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:

Thanks.

If Detroit is where you clear customs and immigration inbound into the States then 90 minutes is too short. 3+ hours is recommended. (you need to deplane, clear immigration, get your bags, clear customs, recheck your bags and go through security again.) Difficult in 90 minutes and impossible if there were any delays in your flight.

If you clear customs and immigration at another point and it is just a plane transfer then you are usually fine with 90 minutes.
Lazio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
even if you had bad luck and missed your scheduled flight, I doubt you'd get into DC more than a few hours later than planned.

Yeah but does he pay for the later flight? I assume the flights are all in one deal.

If the two legs are issued in one ticket (or in other words: under 1 e-ticket number) than it's the airline's responsibility to get the passanger to the final destination with no extra charge.
There are many flights from DTW to IAD, BWI and DCA and Delta alone operates 10+ flights daily on these 3 routes.
Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you will be fine as long as you don`t arrive late.
If so, you will be rushing after you clear customs.
I remember running to catch a flight years ago. I think because the terminals were different for domestic and international flights.
My flight from New York arrived late.

It sure beats O`Hare, though.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazio wrote:
young_clinton wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

If the two legs are issued in one ticket (or in other words: under 1 e-ticket number) than it's the airline's responsibility to get the passanger to the final destination with no extra charge.
There are many flights from DTW to IAD, BWI and DCA and Delta alone operates 10+ flights daily on these 3 routes.

Exactly. Assuming it is one ticket. If he's talking about two different tickets, then yeah, to be safe, I wouldn't advise doing it.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought the ticket on Delta's official homepage AND I called about connection times so I feel a bit safe. They said 1.5 hours is enough in Detroit to go through customs and immigration but I will have just one hour from Detroit to Incheon coming back, and an operator said it's OK.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back it isn't an issue since it is just a change of planes. Your baggage is checked through to ICN and customs clearance is at ICN.

mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine.

If anything happens, say a mechanical delay (or flight crew problems or something "within Delta's control"), Delta will fix it and pay for you....like putting you in a hotel for the night and on the next day's flight to ICN OR rerouting you to another city to put you on a Korean Air/partner's flight. You actually get paid quite well if their mistake puts you in your destination more than an hour late.

If it's just weather or air traffic or ground congestion, they will simply put you on the next flight wherever they can and give you some food/hotel vouchers.

Like others have said, if you miss the DTW-IAD connection, they will put you on the next IAD flight OR fly you to another DC airport.

The key is, if something goes wrong, to be calm, POLITE and proactive. For instance, if customs is bad, once you get out, go straight to a customer service desk or use WiFi to tweet Delta/go online.

Often times, if the airline knows something is going to happen, they'll go ahead and rebook you by the time you get to the gate of your missed flight.
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. Four hours late. But it's like 800 USD. I wouldn't mind some of that cash.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear! Thanks for making my day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: