Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pub Sch contract renewal....anyone actually not get renewed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Pub Sch contract renewal....anyone actually not get renewed? Reply with quote

My little sister was told today that her public school (GEPIK) will renew her for another year.

She recently expressed her desire to renew to her Korean co-teacher and was told that they were not sure but that they likely would not renew her. She was disappointed at the time although not surprised. She admits that she performed poorly and she does not get along particularily well with her Korean co-teacher (the working relationship is in her words "not great, not good, but not bad, MAYBE OK").

I have yet to meet a single person who did not get their contract renewed at a public school (so long as they wanted to renew). I can count at least 18 people who I know personally who have worked at public schools. About 12 renewed for at least a 2nd year and the other 6 quit (or so they told me at least).

I am curious...

How often does one get refused a renewal?

As an aside my sister admits that part of the reason why she is likely getting renewed is because they don't want to be bothered to hire someone new.

Thanks in advance for your time and comments!!!!
lukeirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one guy who didn't get renewed in Gangwon-do, because his co-teacher didn't like him. The principal did like him and tried to get the rejection overturned but it had already gone through the office.

But that's the only time I've heard it happening. I know alcoholics and the insane have been renewed in Gangwon-do in the past
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pub Sch contract renewal....anyone actually not get rene Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:
My little sister was told today that her public school (GEPIK) will renew her for another year.

It's hard to tell what you're saying, did they renew your sister's contract or did they not renew it?

Last edited by young_clinton on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your sister with EPIK or is she with one of those after-school companies that provide teachers to the extra classes on the public school grounds? If she's with EPIK, the school doesn't do the hiring.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does happen sometimes. Not something I've heard a lot of lately. But if your co teacher really despises you, she can come down hard and be vindictive. Rare, but has happened on rare occasion. Korean emotionalism that exists in some of the population. When the recession first struck in 2009, there were a lot of GEPIK and SMOE teachers getting dropped because they were 40 or non white. Quite unprofessional it was.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was re-newed last year but this time I've been shafted. It could be for many, many reasons. I haven't asked why, yet. I've no plans to ask in future, either.
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Less than the full contract Reply with quote

Has anyone working for EPIK/GEPIK actually been fired shortly after being hired by them?

Such reasons, other than breaking the law may include things like: bad/ boring classes, bad relationships, being too weird, etc.

I know there's a clause in the contract that allows this to happen. But, in practice, does it really happen?
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Less than the full contract Reply with quote

Soldier wrote:
Has anyone working for EPIK/GEPIK actually been fired shortly after being hired by them?

Such reasons, other than breaking the law may include things like: bad/ boring classes, bad relationships, being too weird, etc.

I know there's a clause in the contract that allows this to happen. But, in practice, does it really happen?

That would be too difficult on the school's part to rehire and explain to the parents why you had to leave in month #13. Those reasons are more for hagwons to let you go, not public schools.
NQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been renewed despite my rocky relationship with my co-teacher if it wasn't for these GEPIK budget cuts. I agree that the co-teacher can just come down on you and not make you renew if she doesn't like you. I don't think my co-teacher is particularly fond of me but she's really lazy and wanted to depend on me for the material I provided next year.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Less than the full contract Reply with quote

Soldier wrote:

It was going to happen to me, but didn't happen mostly because there's SOOOO MUCH paper work involved in firing anyone employed in public service, was easier to just run out the clock. When I look at Barack Obama and how much dirt gets flung in his way and he doesn't flinch one bit, I had it easy. I'm not Obama, but I was expected to be one.
creeper1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: so much Reply with quote

So much for all the talk of budget cuts. According to this thread most people seem to being renewed no problems.

Anecdotally it means the good times still roll in PS Korea!
Cool
newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For past four years, I was told by my co-teachers that my contract was not going to be renewed for various BS reasons. Laughing
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: So now... Reply with quote

Andrew Chon...where are you now?

Did the school system change their minds and sign you on again for another year?

Or, did you complete the contract and go somewhere else; and what type of school?

I'd also love to hear from others as well.

Cheers.
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: So now... Reply with quote

Did the school system change their minds and sign you on again for another year?

Or, did you complete the contract and go somewhere else; and what type of school?

Cheers.
Soldier

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: