Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody seen Django yet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Anybody seen Django yet? Reply with quote

I'm not normally one to post about a movie a recently watched. I normally think such threads are a bit childish or something. But last night I watched Django. Man, what a movie. It's fabulously entertaining and subtly raises a lot of moral issues that get you thinking. Acting and filming also first rate. Also some very funny moments that will have you laughing out loud.

Highly recommended.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it playing at most major theaters in Seoul, particularly at Yongsan? For some reason, part of me thought that movie wouldn't get a lot of international action, even though it's Tarantino.
lemak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it. Laughed the whole way through. Samuel L's character is a classic. Tarantino is getting crap about his portrayal of the black man again, but interestingly enough he makes the whites (with the exception of Christoph Waltz -sure I butchered the spelling) out to be a bunch of inbred morons. Worth the watch for sure.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why Spike Lee is complaining about the movie. He even admits he's never seen it. He says it's using slavery to entertain, and that Tarantino uses the 'n' word too much. I think he needs to get a sense of humor. Not only that, if anyone should be complaining about the movie it's white people. As the poster above said it makes your average 'whitey' look like an inbred degenerate. Honestly, I'd say 99.9% of black people will have no problem with the movie. I was cheering on Django's character throughout the movie, and associating entirely with the slaves. And I'm as white as they come. So if I was actually a descendant of an African slave, as many African-Americans are, this movie would be my number one 'guilty pleasure' of the year.

One of the funniest scenes is where the assembled clansmen, looking to lynch Django, end up squabbling with each other about how uncomfortable their klan hoods were. I almost fell off my chair I was laughing too hard. Very Happy

Spike, if you still chose to boycott the movie it's your loss. It's a hoot.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna see it today but the gf looked it up and it's not being released in korea until march... lame.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Was gonna see it today but the gf looked it up and it's not being released in korea until march... lame.

This being Korea, you can pick up any new movie on the street for a few bucks. Where I live I can pick up four new movies for 10,000 won.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't support any movie that racist Foxx is in. He said "how great is that?!" when he got to kill all the white people in the movie.
*beep*.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it, and was surprised by it. Pretty decent flick.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
i wouldn't support any movie that racist Foxx is in. He said "how great is that?!" when he got to kill all the white people in the movie.
*beep*.

I'm sure he was probably referring to the fact that the black guy always dies first in most every movie. Not to mention that it was a joke on a comedy show. I think it's great that, in a movie, a slave could kill all the white people, I mean considering that they are all slavers, and fictional, no big loss I say.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
*beep*.

I'm sure he was probably referring to the fact that the black guy always dies first in most every movie. Not to mention that it was a joke on a comedy show. I think it's great that, in a movie, a slave could kill all the white people, I mean considering that they are all slavers, and fictional, no big loss I say.

How about a white guy get up there and says he gets to kill all black people in his movie, and it was great, would that be ok. Just want equality, that's all. What he said was wrong. Period.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
*beep*.

How about a white guy get up there and says he gets to kill all black people in his movie, and it was great, would that be ok. Just want equality, that's all. What he said was wrong. Period.

It's not the same, especially considering the whole slavery thing, especially considering he was talking about a movie where he played a slave. Also, considering the fact that black characters are more likely to die, and sooner, than white characters, it's not the same. The thing is that there isn't actual racial equality yet, and considering the deeply unequal past, there is a difference between the two. Period.
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was alright.

much prefer the original Django movies.
but yeah was good, especially liked Dicaprio he did a good job with the character.

nice cameo from the Original Django too.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
*beep*.

It's not the same, especially considering the whole slavery thing, especially considering he was talking about a movie where he played a slave. Also, considering the fact that black characters are more likely to die, and sooner, than white characters, it's not the same. The thing is that there isn't actual racial equality yet, and considering the deeply unequal past, there is a difference between the two. Period.

blah, blah, blah. Blacks need to get on with it and quit whining about slavery. You can't blame a whole race and generation for something they had no part in. My grandparents came to the US in 1950. I haveas much to do with slavery as a 31 year old white dude in Russia right now--absolutely nothing.
Saying it was GREAT to kill ALLLLL the white people in the movie is not a joke. It wasn't funny.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
*beep*.

blah, blah, blah. Blacks need to get on with it and quit whining about slavery. You can't blame a whole race and generation for something they had no part in. My grandparents came to the US in 1950. I haveas much to do with slavery as a 31 year old white dude in Russia right now--absolutely nothing.
Saying it was GREAT to kill ALLLLL the white people in the movie is not a joke. It wasn't funny.

The white people in the movie were all slavers, and all had something to do with, obviously. Is it great to kill all the white slavers in a movie, sure why not, they're better targets than most of the people who get killed in a movie. Also, there still isn't racial equality, so it is different in that respect as well. I'm sure Foxx is sure sorry he said it, he'll lose the key sensitive white victim guy demographic.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
*beep*.

The white people in the movie were all slavers, and all had something to do with, obviously. Is it great to kill all the white slavers in a movie, sure why not, they're better targets than most of the people who get killed in a movie. Also, there still isn't racial equality, so it is different in that respect as well. I'm sure Foxx is sure sorry he said it, he'll lose the key sensitive white victim guy demographic.

Well that's what I was wondering, too--if he felt like he shouldn't have said that because all of the whites that took what he said the wrong way and lost out on tons of revenue for the film. I bet DiCaprio and Tarantino weren't happy. He lost me from every buying a ticket, and I bet there's tons more from what I've read on the net. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: