Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Hagwon Owner for Korean TV Show?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toriallegory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Foreign Hagwon Owner for Korean TV Show? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I work for an Arirang TV program called Semipermanent. It's all about expats living in Seoul and their experiences here. You can watch past episodes on our vimeo page: http://vimeo.com/user14591985

I'm writing because we're working on an episode about foreigners in education and we'd really like to find an expat hagwon owner who is willing to talk about the hagwon industry and the challenges of running a school as a foreigner.

If this sounds like you or if you work for an expat owner, please get in touch at our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/semipermanenttv

Thanks!
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of a few, and if they're interested I'm sure they'll contact you.

I don't think there is a lot of trust involved when talking about Korean television. Arrirang is probably a bit more of a decent station, but I wouldn't trust other national stations AT ALL.
cincynate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No.. are we about to see another episode about foreigners taking over korean businesses or foreigners taking advantage of Korean families or something like that.. Every time I see a show on TV about foreigners, we are predators who spread drugs and AIDS.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

I don't think there is a lot of trust involved when talking about Korean television. Arrirang is probably a bit more of a decent station, but I wouldn't trust other national stations AT ALL.

Funny, because I'm not sure I'd connect Arirang with trust.

Promoting Korea, yes. But a honest broadcast?... not from what I saw in the past.

I'd love it if they looked at issues/people/places in Korea with a more balanced viewpoint.
whiteshoes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I'd love it if they looked at issues/people/places in Korea with a more balanced viewpoint.

From what I've seen of the show, that is kind of what it is. It's a show by expats about the ex-pat lifestyle, more or less.
T-J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to give this one a pass. Walking around while giving a wide berth.

**edit**
I'll add the only way I'd possibly consider this is to have a script of questions before hand and agree to the content in advance. Any deviation from the pre-approved format would nullify consent to airing any part of the interview. CYA.

dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

Promoting Korea, yes. But a honest broadcast?... not from what I saw in the past.

Why would you say that? I would call their coverage a waste of time and space but do they also carry some pollitical agenda (other than "Korea #1")?
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

Why would you say that? I would call their coverage a waste of time and space but do they also carry some pollitical agenda (other than "Korea #1")?

The original poster posted, "I work for an Arirang TV program called Semipermanent."

While I understand a channel could censor a show, the show would make the show first. With a name like "Arirang" I don't think you are going to voice your opinion any greater by boycotting making a show Laughing

Quote:
we'd really like to find an expat hagwon owner who is willing to talk about the hagwon industry and the challenges of running a school as a foreigner

There is your problem right there.

1) You are looking for an already existing hagwon owner.
2) To piggyback on 1, you can't be a hagwon owner through normal procedures as a teacher.
3) To piggyback on 2, LOL Laughing, you'll just get a biased guest the government of Korea, NOT Arirang or show directors, has wielded to obey such ridiculous laws.

I think if you are going to make a show, make a show which includes any foreigner with insight, not just hagwon owner. That is, unless you are so gung ho about government agendas (in that case, I don't care to watch the show).
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, OP.

Even those of us who sometimes disagree strongly on certain issues will agree on this one:

The Korean media is NOT to be trusted. Period.

We've seen far too many expats burned in the past. I myself have seen it first hand, and was asked by a reporter from one of the main news stations to specifically give scripted lines supporting that stations slant on a story about Itaewon. The interview went something like this:

"We need you to say...."

"No, please try again... we need you to say..."

"One more time... please say...."
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... also hoping that the teacher is still around who successfully sued a Korean program for shooting unapproved video of him from a distance, then adding fake subtitles making it look like he was seeking sex (I believe it was gay sex, actually).

Yes, this actually happened to someone on this board, and he won a big judgement.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
... also hoping that the teacher is still around who successfully sued a Korean program for shooting unapproved video of him from a distance, then adding fake subtitles making it look like he was seeking sex (I believe it was gay sex, actually).

Yes, this actually happened to someone on this board, and he won a big judgement.

I call B.S. on that one.

If that happened, it would have been a 50 page thread on Dave's.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one feels like volunteering and enjoys raising the sh*t, I suggest this..

Present yourself as a total colonialist....

Wear a white suit and have a Korean staff member operate a manually operated hand fan (one of those ones where you pull on a string to move the fan) while they're interviewing you in your office.

And then yell at your Korean workers in English as loud as you can.

And put up a big American flag in the background.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If one feels like volunteering and enjoys raising the sh*t, I suggest this..

Present yourself as a total colonialist....

Wear a white suit and have a Korean staff member operate a manually operated hand fan (one of those ones where you pull on a string to move the fan) while they're interviewing you in your office.

And then yell at your Korean workers in English as loud as you can.

And put up a big American flag in the background.

Like it Laughing
Unposter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to collaborate that what Swampfox said was true and there was a long thread about it.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya ergo I troll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: