Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Risks of reporting sexual assault as a foreigner if defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paigemel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Risks of reporting sexual assault as a foreigner if defended Reply with quote

Since living in Korea I've learned that groping, sexual assault, or unwelcome contact is fairly common. The importance of reporting these violations is crucial because it raises awareness and eventually leads to change. The US consul explicates the protective laws of Korea in this situation and sexual assault counselors, of course also, advise that incidents be reported.

However, women, especially foreign, may feel backed into a corner when it comes to handling the situation in an effective way, or at least some way that won't lead to more victimization.

What I mean is, reading about the personal experiences of foreign victims of assault is very discouraging to someone who wants to report such crimes because they paint this picture:
1) the victim's case may be neglected by law officials.
2) attending counseling may cause the victim to lose her job.
3) if she used self-defense she could be arrested herself or lose her job and VISA.

Are these caveats outdated? Can anyone who has firsthand dealt with this kind of situation please share insight about how to tactfully and effectively deal? Further speculation will only make it more difficult to decide what the right course of action should be.

My main concern is, if a foreign victim retaliated against a Korean perpetrator's molestation with violence, does she run the risk of deportation or job termination if she reports the incident?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Risks of reporting sexual assault as a foreigner if defe Reply with quote

paigemel wrote:
Since living in Korea I've learned that groping, sexual assault, or unwelcome contact is fairly common. The importance of reporting these violations is crucial because it raises awareness and eventually leads to change. The US consul explicates the protective laws of Korea in this situation and sexual assault counselors, of course also, advise that incidents be reported.

However, women, especially foreign, may feel backed into a corner when it comes to handling the situation in an effective way, or at least some way that won't lead to more victimization.

What I mean is, reading about the personal experiences of foreign victims of assault is very discouraging to someone who wants to report such crimes because they paint this picture:
1) the victim's case may be neglected by law officials.
2) attending counseling may cause the victim to lose her job.
3) if she used self-defense she could be arrested herself or lose her job and VISA.

Are these caveats outdated? Can anyone who has firsthand dealt with this kind of situation please share insight about how to tactfully and effectively deal? Further speculation will only make it more difficult to decide what the right course of action should be.

My main concern is, if a foreign victim retaliated against a Korean perpetrator's molestation with violence, does she run the risk of deportation or job termination if she reports the incident?

The consul advises "X" but refuses to assist (big noise but no support).

The KEY words in your query, RETALIATION / VIOLENCE mean YES, arrest, job termination and deportation are in the "victim's" near future regardless of whether the assailant is Korean or foreign.

You're not in Kansas anymore Toto. The victim has rights but the ability to use excessive force is not one of them.

It is no different than getting sucker punched on a Saturday night and beating your assailant to a pulp. He started it but YOU lose. Pay your blood money and kiss your visa goodbye.

paigemel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response, snide and insensitive though it was.

Like I stated before, I'm curious to hear from someone who has dealt with a similar situation firsthand. If you would please share your own experience (via PM) maybe it would help me gain a less biased view of the circumstances.

Also, your analogy about beating someone to a pulp was a little extreme, and not anything like the situation I'm curious about. Unless you meant to illustrate that it's a zero tolerance policy and that a swift kick would not be considered mere self-defense.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's nothing in between getting helplessly molested or beating the crap out of the perp?

This is somewhat of a related story I've heard from a guy who majors in self-defense at Yongin Univ but apparently one of his female classmates was dragged by a guy at night and she kicked him in the head resulting in a KO and no criminal charges for her. But she was Korean and I'm guessing no other witnesses were around.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appropriate level, defensive, physical response is NOT what the OP posted or queried (at least not what I understood RETALIATION and VIOLENCE to mean).

Get your butt pinched on the bus and give a slap = no worry.

Get your boob grabbed at the bar and kick his ass to the ground = bye-bye.

Actively being assaulted = use enough force to get away = fine.
Take punitive measures on your own = bye-bye.

Filing a report as a victim = no visa issues.

This isn't India (or America for that matter).

kilakilakila

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been subway-groped twice, quite aggressively, during my last 11 months. sadly, i did nothing about it. i just pushed my way to another train car.

it was horrible and violating and i hope women reading this can somehow avoid it.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilakilakila wrote:
i've been subway-groped twice, quite aggressively, during my last 11 months. sadly, i did nothing about it. i just pushed my way to another train car.

it was horrible and violating and i hope women reading this can somehow avoid it.

Why didn't you smack him, what are you afraid of? weak
stilicho25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obvious troll is obvious.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:

Why didn't you smack him, what are you afraid of? weak

Who is this guy? Where did he come from?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think getting your butt pinched is "sexual assault". Maybe we can get a bunch of guns like in the USA and start slaughtering and imprisoning people like crazy for the crime of butt pinching LOL.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
I don't think getting your butt pinched is "sexual assault". Maybe we can get a bunch of guns like in the USA and start slaughtering and imprisoning people like crazy for the crime of butt pinching LOL.

It is sexual assault, and should be handled as such.
paigemel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why some of you bother to reply when you have no experience on the issue and no intellect to offer is beyond me. (Your agitated outpours and exaggerated responses are not welcome on this thread where people are looking for serious answers. Please leave it to the grown-ups.)

Sexual assault is defined as any sort of indecent physical contact or threat of onto another person who has not granted consent. It can occur within the first, second, or third degree.

An act of sexual assault is an act of violence.

An act of self-defense is also an act of violence.

Now that some time has passed the biggest concern is not even the molestation that has occurred. That is surpassed by the extreme lack of sensitivity for the victim.

It's not always easy to identify when sexual assault is happening.

It's not easy to process those feelings and respond in an appropriate and timely manner.

It's not easy to speak up about it.

It's not easy to be a foreigner with few places to turn for help. Especially to find out that your defensive response could lose you your VISA.

It's not easy to be comfortable anywhere outside of your house after it happens.

And it's not easy to face the astoundingly insensitive comments from family members, friends, or even strangers (such as those on this blog).

Let the record show: yet another assault will go unreported due to a dearth of support for the women subjected and a surplus of condonation for the perpetrator.

I highly encourage everyone, especially the men, to glance at this because it might help you understand just a little. http://www.rolereboot.org/culture-and-politics/details/2012-12-a-letter-to-the-guy-who-harrassed-me-outside-the-bar

Last edited by paigemel on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what to say to the above, other than that's all well and fine and full of labels, but very over dramatic. Just kick and scream. I knew a K girl here who told me some crazy attempted rape stories. Two times, she had some loked out Korean dude holding a knife to her throat. Another time, some drunk ajosshi just got her in a choke hold while she was walking in a park at night time. Korean dudes are rapey. Every time, she kicked and screamed and those rapey K dudes went running. With the drunk ajosshi in the park, she broke his glasses, then went after the guy. As she was going after him, she asked a 7/11 guy to watch her dog... but the guy said "no" since the rapist was an older man. Go figure, Korea fighting. A woman who was there said she'd watch her dog. Found the police, busted the ajosshi rapist.

Also, one of the rape incidents wound up with her waking up with some dude with a knife in her bed since she forgot to lock the door. Kicked the dude in the nuts, chased after him in her night gown in the middle of the night... Police got him, but weren't going to do anything, and, as she said, were talking about having to take a dump while both of them were just sitting there. But, that girl's brother works at the Korean embassy in Japan and has some sway, so when she threatened to call her brother, they actually did their job. The guy had multiple rape charges, got sent to prison, then killed himself in prison. The guy's mom called her after he did that, and said she was happy he had finally offed himself. Talk about a shame society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: