Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montreal Smoked Meat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucebruce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Montreal Smoked Meat Reply with quote

Well first I'll start this off by asking if there is a place that sells Montreal smoked meat in Korea? I would suspect the answer is no. Second I want to know whether is possible to bring smoked meat into Korea by plane or by mail?
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly: no and (as far as I know) not legally. Korea would be a much happier place with some Schwartz's.
brucebruce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it would.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed those in Korea since I'm an Anglo-Quebecker of Korean descendant from the good old Montreal. Most Koreans never heard of Montreal smoked meat let alone Montreal style bagels.
brucebruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the states but also Korean. I have spent a good deal of time in Montreal visiting friends at McGill. I crave smoked meat every month at least. I am looking for anyway legal or illegal to obtain it.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a good reminder that Koreans should have a very westernized taste in food.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of people drooling over a smoked meat log...

I kid I kid...
brucebruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't joke about smoked meat in this thread. The situation is getting critical. We need more people from Canada to do their part a smuggle smoked meat in by the suitcase. We should start a whole thread dedicated to black market sale of smoked meat. It could be like an ebay of smoked meat we can bid on slabs of meat. I'll probably win most of bids, sorry.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you from there ought to lobby (email) some of those Montreal companies and ask them to set up a place in Seoul. Make a restaurant that A) sells the meat and B) makes smoked meat sandwiches. I'm sure Koreans would eventually come around to it. Many foriegn places have popped up in Itaewon and others around Seoul.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucebruce wrote:
We don't joke about smoked meat in this thread. The situation is getting critical. We need more people from Canada to do their part a smuggle smoked meat in by the suitcase. We should start a whole thread dedicated to black market sale of smoked meat. It could be like an ebay of smoked meat we can bid on slabs of meat. I'll probably win most of bids, sorry.

So contact the Korean Customs service, jump through the hoops like any other Korean, get a license to import meats and get all you want.

joelove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Montreal. I've seen the lineups outside that Schwartz's shop on St. Laurent street. My brother told me it was nothing special but the place is famous for some reason. Seems to me you could get the same stuff in lots of places without waiting 30 minutes or more, but what do I know?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucebruce wrote:

This kind of irrational devotion intrigues me. I must keep an eye out for this "Montreal meat log" you speak of. Hopefully this is better than the love fest for Jester's Pies that was a bit of a let down.

I guess once you go Montreal, you never go back.
banjois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'd turn down a half-fat with a Cott's and a pickle, but I've had more of a hankering lately for a fresh bag of bagels, of which two are eaten on the walk home at 4 AM.....
brucebruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz's is king. Definitely the best smoked meat I have had. Don't get me wrong the other places aren't bad that but Schwartz's seems just slightly better IMO.

I am going to have to look into getting a meat import license. Opening a restaurant might be hard after Korea imposes its unusually high import taxes like it does on everything.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucebruce wrote:
Schwartz's is king. Definitely the best smoked meat I have had. Don't get me wrong the other places aren't bad that but Schwartz's seems just slightly better IMO.

I am going to have to look into getting a meat import license. Opening a restaurant might be hard after Korea imposes its unusually high import taxes like it does on everything.

What import tax....NAFTA / USFTA ... bring it in via NYC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: