Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gray smog blows in from China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Gray smog blows in from China Reply with quote

http://nwww.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130116000769

Quote:
Gray pollutants that have turned China�s Beijing into �Gray-jing� appear to be affecting Korea as well, government researchers said Wednesday.

The level of particulate matter and air pollutants including sulfur oxide and nitrogen oxide in major cities surpassed two times the standard in recent days, prompting authorities to issue health advisories and environmentalists to take to streets.

�The recent smog in Korea is a mixture of air pollutants coming from China, water vapor and polluting substances (mixed into the snowmelt),� said Kim Jong-choon, a director at the National Institute of Environmental Research.

Beijing has recently been suffocated by gray smog. The Chinese capital on Sunday issued its first-ever orange alert, indicating visibility was less than 200 meters.

The concentration of PM 10 (particulate matter smaller than 10 micrograms per cubic meter) in the air marked well above the standard in major cities and provinces, including the capital Seoul with 218 and Gangwon Province with 276.

The standard is 100 micrograms per cubic meter in the air. Busan was found with 272, Incheon with 244, Daegu with 235 and Gwangju with 247.

�The particulates may cause respiratory diseases. Further examinations for secondary pollution of soil and water are needed,� the researcher said.

The Ministry of Environment promised to closely monitor the pollutants by conducting checks on a regular basis.

T-J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realy, there ought to be a TOS rule about simply copy pasting news articles. Most people get their news from news sites. We are aware of current events. If you have an opinion to state or want to start a discussion then do so, if not then don't waste our time with your need to post for the sake of posting.

/rant
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just informing everyone about dangerously bad air blowing in from China. It could be seen as a warning for those who may have problems breathing. That certainly applies to living in Korea and I haven't seen anyone else bringing up the issue.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you haven't been paying attention, the pollution in China is so bad it can actually be seen from Outer Space.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/15/169422960/beijings-pollution-seen-from-space-in-before-and-after-photos?ft=1&f=1025

That's what is blowing our way, lessened, obviously, by some natural filtering and the distance. It's being called "airpocalypse."

Beijing pollution historically bad, air quality index measures 886 (out of maximum 500) .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48VAFtUlPLc
orosee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, "nice" to see that China has added a new colour to their annual dust contribution in Korea.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
Just informing everyone about dangerously bad air blowing in from China. It could be seen as a warning for those who may have problems breathing. That certainly applies to living in Korea and I haven't seen anyone else bringing up the issue.

Yeah, I'm cool with this being posted.

I didn't see it in the paper(s) I usually read, so it's good to see/know about this stuff - especially stuff that's related to Korea (the purpose of this forum).

No worries, dairy airy, ya did fine in posting this up, IMO.
sublunari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been coughing for the last few days, I'm not sick, and, curiously enough, I can't see the mountains at the edge of the city anymore. Is there a website that provides realtime updates for pollution levels in the country?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sublunari wrote:
I've been coughing for the last few days, I'm not sick, and, curiously enough, I can't see the mountains at the edge of the city anymore. Is there a website that provides realtime updates for pollution levels in the country?

I know of this one.

And yes, it is registering the crap I see outside as pretty heavy pollution. Thanks, China!
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, not sick - but coughing and wheezing. I feel totally fine, except for that part of things. How long is it expected to continue?
lemak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal clear skies over Shanghai today - the likes of which I never once saw in Korea. I guess a lot of the crud tends to blow eastward.
I can tell you one thing, In China I use my asthma sprays about 10% that the amount I used them in Korea. Not sure what that means, but I'll take it as a positive.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
Crystal clear skies over Shanghai today - the likes of which I never once saw in Korea. I guess a lot of the crud tends to blow eastward.
I can tell you one thing, In China I use my asthma sprays about 10% that the amount I used them in Korea. Not sure what that means, but I'll take it as a positive.

I don't really think that Shanghai has anything whatsoever to do with the crap blowing into Korea but okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: