Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After School Programs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorlore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: After School Programs Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone can give me specific information about the after school programs in Seoul and where to find them exactly. I have seen them on Craigslist, Workplay and other websites but was wondering if any knows where else to find them or specific schools to apply to. Thanks
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just got to get the them when they bite. There are no exclusive after school offers. One thing you can try is to look for offers a little bit out of Seoul because chances are good they will have after school programs for folks who earn less. Remember, they often send their older kids to hagwons.

So you'll be teaching mostly 1st and 2nd graders. Then, you'll have 3rd and 4th graders coming in late and leaving early for different things. The 5th and 6th graders may stop coming due to math hagwons which also have an English teacher. If faced with a choice, the parent will send their child to a hagwon that teaches math and have a Korean teacher teach English over just a native speaker at a public school.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to get these days, they mostly want f2 / f4 visa holders now. Ah, 1pm - 5pm shift for 2.4mil plus 400k rent for an apt in haebangchan - those were the days....
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig up some old threads with a search, you��ll find some good details. Just ask them for interviews persistently. All they did was check that I had a pulse before giving me what has to be the easiest esl job in the country. Beef up your resume with bs, be assertive and persistent and I think your chances will be good.
rowdie3

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days they generally do not sponsor a visa by themselves. You either have to have an E2 with an employer who will let you add a second job (like Wall Street Institute) or have an F series visa.

I recommend Edubest. I work for them now. Good books, management, pays on time.

They generally advertise on www.hiexpat.com

Pay from 2.2-3.0 depending on how many classes a day and experience. No housing, health, pension. Limited vacation.
ayahyaha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who have an after-school job on an E2 with housing, pension, etc. Those positions still exist. Everyone I know who has them is a more experienced teacher and/or was already in Korea, though.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you both have a point.

Such things are not above the locals.

Mostly the locals are looking for a nice friendly personality and someone who relates to kids well over any sort of qualifications or experience... We all know the majority of AS / hakwan students don't retain much, (well kindy do as they're in the right developmental phase) so it's not so much that ellusive 'teaching technique' as it is getting on well with the kids. In Korea being liked in theinterview is the number one draw still.

But if the interviewer is looking for specifics, well... Jfromtheway is correct that it helps to offer that. I wouldn't lie about it, but if my recruiter, I'd go along with it I guess..
dorlore

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the replies. I have just started threads on here and no one has said much except for this one. Greatly appreciated

One more thing I'd like to ask and follow up about the E2 Visa. I have taught in Korea for over 2 years but came home for a couple months. I just booked my flight back out there. I already have some interviews lined up with schools that said they would sponsor my E2 Visa. Do you think I will have a problem finding other programs to do the same?
rowdie3

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm completely understanding your question. You are wondering if other schools would sponsor your E2, is that right?

All hagwons and public schools will. Some afterschool companies will, but that is becomming less common. Does that help?
stationhater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently applying to a few of these, looking for a reduced number of hours (as is every sane person). Oddly, I was told by several recruiters that the after school programs are looking exclusively for people with zero in country experience. When I inquired as to why, no one from any company answered.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with the hagwons, the after-school programs are starting to suffer a bit. Now, if you're working after-school, you can probably expect to be working at two or up to five difference schools per week. In my case, I'm still lucky and working at just two. Financial pressures on families are pushing poorer kids (the target market for the after-school programs) out, and lower-middle-class into the programs. Anyone who can afford it usually sends their kids to English hagwon proper; other schools contract out. Now, I'm hearing about a lot of public school teachers being pressured into doing the after-school programs (in exchange for double-salary, mind you) instead of desk-warming.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stationhater wrote:
I was recently applying to a few of these, looking for a reduced number of hours (as is every sane person). Oddly, I was told by several recruiters that the after school programs are looking exclusively for people with zero in country experience. When I inquired as to why, no one from any company answered.

That's weird. It must have been just that company's requirements. I thought most wanted F6 people.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
stationhater wrote:

That's weird. It must have been just that company's requirements. I thought most wanted F6 people.

I ran into a similar thing recently, operating under the assumption that several years of experience, a solid resume, along with currently being in country for face to face interviews, an easily transferable E-2 visa, and a ton of location flexability would be adventagous.

Hasn't seemed to be the case, apparently, because I'm noticing several of the positions I've applied for are still open, but now listing: FEMALE PREFERED. Alas, this Y chromosome might be hurting me.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wondering if any knows where else to find them or specific schools to apply to.

http://www.afterschooljobsforlazyE2visaholders.com

You'll be racking in the won and ajummas in no time!!!!
Mr Lee's Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: afterschool interview - through the looking glass Reply with quote

Last Thursday I traveled hours for an interview with an individual who was finding teachers for after school programs in various cities that were using the materials he provided. His first question was whether or not I was a Christian. His second was why I never had children because god wants all women on earth to have children. He then told me that I was terribly old in his opinion, and explained that if I was young he would have paid 200,000 won/mo more for my education and experience, but since I was old I would get hit with the age penalty. He paid a wage and some housing, no health care or pension. The hours were listed by the recruiter who sent me as 1-6, but when I met him they had changed to 1-9. He tacked on the 3 additional hours to cover classes in a hagwon he was getting to sponsor visas for him. Lastly, he claimed to prefer young female teachers because they would "do what he told them to do and not complain." In his words, young women were "most easily controlled". Jesus Christ. Can I get an amen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: