Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mildew on towels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradshaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Mildew on towels Reply with quote

Sorry to bother you with such a mundane issue, but I have exhausted my resources online. For the life of me, I cannot get rid of the mildewy smell in my towels. Online searches advice washing in hot water and using the dryer, etc. My problem: My washing machine only uses cold water and I do not have a dryer. Any tips? (I have tried adding vinegar to the wash and nada.) Thanks. Razz
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I find my apt rather dry during the winter... and that seems to take care of any sort of mildewy issues.

How often do you wash them?

Perhaps alternate per day
boomhauer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use 2 towels. And when not using a towel, dont leave it bunched up, hang them up so they can dry.
bradshaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hang my towel on a rack, so it's completely straight and able to dry. It does dry, but after showing and wrapping my hair in a towel turban, that wretched smell returns! Mad
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toss them. Buy new ones. Problem solved.
busanliving

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a big pan and boil the towel with a bit of washing liquid in there. Leave it boiling for a while and move the towel around a bit. Or you could try adding vinegar after the water boiled and leave it to soak for a bit.
lemak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Toss them. Buy new ones. Problem solved.

This. In my book towels are kind of like batteries or cooking pans. Sure you can buy the cheap ones but they're made of crap and last for crap. Fork out 20 or 30 bucks each for some Egyptian cotton towels and in winter hang them over one of the warm patches of your floor heating on the ground. Don't be surprised when you buy 5 dollar non absorbent plastic junk towels that they don't last. If you're a dude and moderately hairy expect to change out your towel at least every 2 or 3 days. If you shower twice a day by day 2 that thing is going to be as damp and stinky as a wet dog.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's because they aren't drying fast enough. this problem is even worse in the humid summer days for most people. use a normal house fan and point it at your laundry. it will speed up drying and should remove the mildew smell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: