Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The way a department store did my refund...weird!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: The way a department store did my refund...weird!!! Reply with quote

Last week I was at a department store in Seoul.

I bought about 250 000 won worth of stuff for my new place.

Yesterday I went to return one item that was worth about 40 000 won.

The lady at customer service took it back no problem and scaned my bank card. I went to withdraw cash right after and I noticed that no money was credited back but that an additional 210 000 won (250 000 minus 40 000) was withdrawn!

I went back and was visibly upset (although not irate). The store manager happened to be near by and he saw me talking to the lady at customer service. He happened to speak excellent English. He told me that how it works is that "for tax reasons" that the total amount minus the refund needed to be withdrawn and that the refund will come later. He said that how long it takes for the refund will depend upon my bank.

I am lucky that I have other money and that my total purchase was not larger. Being out of a larger amount of money for an indefinite period should would suck.

Expats: Be aware of this when you return items.

For me, I will visit the guy at my local bank on Monday (he speaks good English).

Anyone else every experienced this???? Advice???

Thanks!!!
r122925

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced something similar to this. I don't really understand the reasoning behind it, but one thing that I will point out is that it only happens with debit cards (often called "check card" in Korea). If you use a debit card the refund will take several days. On the other hand, if you use a credit card the refund will be instantaneous.

I know it's not always easy for foreigners to get credit cards in Korea, but if you can get one there are a lot of good reasons to use it.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is typical. The money from your original purchase will be refunded to your account in 1 or 2 weeks, perhaps more.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had it be anything more than instantaneous. They always refund the entire purchase first, then charge the new purchase.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
I've never had it be anything more than instantaneous. They always refund the entire purchase first, then charge the new purchase.

I think it depends on how long after the original transaction you try to refund your items. The longer afterward, the longer you have to wait for your receipt. It may also vary from store to store, but I've had this happen at the Lotte Department Store, Lotte Mart, Seoul Station, bus terminals, and a few other places.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, this is another one of those little 'pain the behind' items I am happy to do without... Very Happy
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just one of the many reasons to have a credit card here. they don't function like western credit cards and the advantages are very much worth it. for most e2's i hear they can get lotte cards and the ilk at lotte marts without much hassles. even if you stay only a year it's worth picking one up.
Keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is weird. I guess if you use a debit card ask for them to ring each item up separately. I'd rather have that hassle than if I need to return something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: