Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking in Public Schools (And Korea in General)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Smoking in Public Schools (And Korea in General) Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Apologies if this issue has been discussed before, I did a search for both 'smoke' and 'smoking' and couldn't find anything specifically related to smoking in public schools.

I am going to be coming to Korea for the first time in about a month (heading to Gangwon-do) and was wondering if someone in the country could please enlighten me on what the deal is with regards to smoking in public schools.

I've read that it's banned in public schools, but is there anyone here who smokes who is able to do so without too many problems by maybe ducking out of the school grounds in between lessons?

I did a general Google search and came across this blog here, the author of which doesn't seem to have had toooo many problems with smoking in school: http://waegukin.com/smoking-in-korea.html

Would also like to know any general info on smoking in Korea, Gangwon-do in particular. I've read that smoking on public streets is now banned in Seoul, does this mean you have to duck down an alley or something to smoke?

Seems like it would just be best to quit before going over actually.

Thanks in advance for any info Smile
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As simplistic as it sounds... (yes, I know it ain't easy) just quit - although popping off of the school grounds at lunch and after school are options...

Popping out between classes may or may not be problematic depending on the admin at your school.

Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still smoke at school. I'm just going to wait to see what the principle's attitude is. If every teacher suddenly stops smoking at school, fine. I'll likely stop altogether, or perhaps just smoke at weekends again
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool cool, thanks for the input guys. i actually quit at the beginning of last year, then started smoking again after 6 months. been considering quitting again but I know that my main trigger is stress - that's what actually got me smoking again - so i'm worried that if i quit i'll just end up smoking again straight after arriving in korea considering how stressful moving to a new country can be. as well as how cheap cigarettes are over there and how much people over there tend to (use to?) smoke.

maybe i'll just bite the bullet and try to quit again anyway, went through absolute hell the first time i did but who knows, maybe it'll be easier this time
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke at school, discretely. Fine for smoking in children's area (such as a school) is $100. Although I've never heard of it being enforced. If students complain that you stink of tobbaco to parents and parents complain to school then ... you've taken a step towards the event horizon.

Last edited by andrewchon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
toddt82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked at two public schools now and it hasn't been a problem to duck out and smoke in between classes (time permitting) and at lunch time. At least the two schools I've worked at have had back "areas," which are still on school property, but are where no students ever really go. The only downsides have been that some students may see you (rarely happens) and if your classroom is on the 5th floor of the school, man that's a lot of stairs! If you have to leave the property you may be required to walk quite a ways from the door to the property line. The other thing too is that many of the male staff members will already smoke, and they've probably already established an area. See you if you can find out where it is when you start working Wink
Daelim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a smoking room for the men in my school... can go in as much as you like between classes and at lunch etc. The principle pretty much lives in there with the news on TV, coffee and ciggies Wink

Most schools probably have this room. It's basically the "groundkeeper office" in the parking lot or at the front gate of the school.
waynehead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, what Daelim says is true at my school, also, and likely true most places where there are more than a dozen or so smokers.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny_russian wrote:
cool cool, thanks for the input guys. i actually quit at the beginning of last year, then started smoking again after 6 months. been considering quitting again but I know that my main trigger is stress - that's what actually got me smoking again - so i'm worried that if i quit i'll just end up smoking again straight after arriving in korea considering how stressful moving to a new country can be. as well as how cheap cigarettes are over there and how much people over there tend to (use to?) smoke.

maybe i'll just bite the bullet and try to quit again anyway, went through absolute hell the first time i did but who knows, maybe it'll be easier this time

Take it from this ex-smoker, it's a lot easier to quit back home than it is in Korea. Try to quit before you come.
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much again for the input everyone! Smile some really good info and advice here Smile
Otherside

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

First school (elementary school), I used to duck out for a smoke when I had a break or during lunch. About 2 months in, my co-teacher told me that was not OK, and suggested I go and smoke on the roof. There was one other member of staff who smoked (who left a few months later, leaving me as the only smoker). No problems for the rest of my 2 years there (except the shame at looking at the drum filling up with butts, knowing that they were all mine!)

Second school (middle school), no problems at all. There are at least 10 other smokers, and they(we) regularly duck out for smokes behind the building across from the school. No one has said anything.

If you are a woman, I think you might have a few problems though, but with a name like Johnny_russian, I'd say that's unlikely.
chickenpie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all the male teachers at my public middle school smoke in their little "Male Teacher's Room" it stinks and all the kids know they smoke, the same teachers search the kids for cigarettes in the mornings Rolling Eyes
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to be coming to Korea for the first time in about a month (heading to Gangwon-do) and was wondering if someone in the country could please enlighten me on what the deal is with regards to smoking in public schools.

It all depends on your school and Principal! BUT I�d say follow the general flow of your school and see what the other smokers do.....

Be aware that the kids (assuming you are an elem teacher) will make comments about you smelling of smoke - this could become an issue depending upon who you have as your co-teacher AND your all round 'fit' within the school for everything else...

Now you can say that you'll wash your hands/chew gum/blow the smoke away from you. but you will smell of smoke!

Also wash your jacket regularly, because it will smell even if you think it doesn�t!

Expect your smoking to be used against you if you do not 'fit' within the school.

If you get on well with your teachers/kids/work hard/parents like you blah blah blah the smoking will not be an issue!

Remember though that you will be working in close contact with kids and it's not cool to be breathing your smokey breath, smelly clothes near them. Korean kids can be weird about things like this too. Just because they don't complain to you, doesn�t mean that they won't complain to their homeroom teacher/parents....

Best course of action - just don't smoke at school! It can be done, nicotine patches are cheap here!

Just because some middle aged male teachers may smoke within the school and get away with it doesn�t mean that you will. Erase the word 'equality' from your mind! Smile

Edit: Also if your co-teacher uses words like 'maybe you shouldn't smoke at work'

That means DO NOT SMOKE AT WORK Razz
PREEST

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be allowed to smoke at school, but you will always get students saying 'Teacher, teacher, smoking smell'. Can't blame them really, but it does get annoying. I just stopped smoking at school (It's nicer to have a cigarette at home to wind down after work anyway).

Are you that addicted that perhaps you could just not smoke at school?

Last edited by PREEST on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly smoking on school grounds is subject to a 100,000-won fine. However, it all depends on the principal. These days if the principal allows teachers to smoke at school, it will probably be in some back shed or server room that students don't get easy access to.

But I do remember the days when all the male teachers were smoking in the 'coffee' room, or in the server room (right by a window) where I choose to have my desk at, that was maybe a mere 5 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: