Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using cell phone plans with a phone I already own

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltaskelta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: using cell phone plans with a phone I already own Reply with quote

I have done quite a bit of research and I cannot find a definitive answer to this, let me start by telling you what I know....

A lot of newer smartphones (iphone 4S in my case) come with multiple antennas in them so they can all come off the same assembly line and be used almost anywhere in the world. All Iphone 4S's have a sim card slot, and from what I can tell, are technically capable of working in Korea.

That being said, I also came across info from a few years ago that said the korean providers will not let you use a phone not purchased in Korea, or they will charge you an arm and a leg to do so. I do not know if this is still the case, as it was from quite a while ago. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I take a gsm capable smartphone to Korea and then just sign up for a Korean plan, and save on the cost of a new phone?
john110375

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I activated a 4S from AT&T last year. No problem at all. Just make sure it's carrier unlocked from your old phone company. Smile
deltaskelta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john110375 wrote:
I activated a 4S from AT&T last year. No problem at all. Just make sure it's carrier unlocked from your old phone company. Smile

ok thanks for the help, are you charged any more for service than if you bought one of their phones?

Also, what would be the cost to get a new smartphone if I decide to go that way? Is it like the US where its about $200 with a new contract?
john110375

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your own equipment its just a matter of choosing your calling plan. I chose the 54 plan that has unlimited data. But it's your choice they don't charge anything extra for using your own phone Smile

They give you a discount to sign a contact. I recently got a galaxy 3 for about 10 dollars a month added to my bill (240 for the phone) the cash price of the phone is almost 1000 bucks. ;-(
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: iphone update problems Reply with quote

Has anyone heard about issues arising when updating itunes/ios on unlocked iphones? I read that sometimes if the iphone was unlocked improperly, an update can actually trigger issues with the unlocked aspect of the phone. Knowledge, experiences?

Thanks
oppa637

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot update if it was not officially unlocked. If you are going to buy an unlocked phone, make sure it us unlocked from the company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: