Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Korean Court Case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo sorry to hear about the crap you two guys are in. That's a load of BS.

Either try to blow this story up (because we all know Koreans like to save face) or just *beep* it and get out of here.

Honestly, screw this place.
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Or get a new lawyer. Is the one you have court appointed, or did you hire them, OP?

My Korean friend knows a lawyer here, so he contacted him and the lawyer was not interested and said that in a case like this, a court-appointed lawyer is better.

And I found out that the Korean guy went to my school yesterday, and now I have to meet with my VP tomorrow. It's never good meeting with him about this as he has taken the Korean guy's side it seems (in fact, my VP lied to me months ago and said that the court contacted him and said me and the Korean guy should both pay each other, but I must pay more because I am a teacher). So yes, that's something to look forward to.

I have just over four months to go then I am out of this place, so I hope it's not something bad tomorrow, maybe just another warning or something, for what, who knows?

And yes, I have contacted both my embassies (dual citizen), and just waiting for a reply. I ended up emailing them, rehashing the entire story on the phone would make me lose my voice at this point.
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you guys don't get is that as teachers you're supposed to behave well.

Koreans expect westerners to behave twice as well as they do. They might not openly admit it but they view westerners as superior! They view englishmen as gentlemen.

Now you just burst that bubble by hanging around bars all the time, ridiculing K-men, pis*ing in the street and so on. You unwittingly invited aggression.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hang around bars unless dressed as a woman (I stopped drinking in my home town after the incident).

Don't urinate in streets as I've been toilet trained.

I don't ridicule anyone not least mien hosts here in Korea.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing stories like this. When a foreigner gets into an altercation with a Korean, the Korean asks the cops where the foreigner works. The cops, incredibly, comply and give out the name of the foreigner's school. The Korean party then calls up the school to talk trash about the foreigner to hopefully get him fired.

What the hell are the police thinking. Back home any cop who did that would be sacked on the spot, and the police department would be sued to boot.

Apparently not in Korea. But I wonder if the police would be as willing to hand out the Korean's work information to the foreigner. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Confused
Benjamino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it goes on

"I went today to the street where I got attacked to see for sure if there is CCTV there, and the same Korean guy that attacked me popped out of a restaurant (he owns a corner restaurant there), in a very aggressive manner swearing at me in Korean. I just walked off. "

quote from the op.

Well today the Korean guy visited the office of education and informed them that BOTH of us have been harassing him and taking pictures of him at his store/restaurant.

I think he's told one lie too many now as my schools CCTV will back me up as to my whereabouts on Tuesday at the time I was supposed to be stalking him.
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:

Now you just burst that bubble by hanging around bars all the time, ridiculing K-men, pis*ing in the street and so on. You unwittingly invited aggression.

Says the man who told everyone here he kicked his New Zealander coworker in the head while he was drunk. Remember that, Rapier? Take your personal vendettas somewhere else.
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjamino wrote:
And so it goes on

"I went today to the street where I got attacked to see for sure if there is CCTV there, and the same Korean guy that attacked me popped out of a restaurant (he owns a corner restaurant there), in a very aggressive manner swearing at me in Korean. I just walked off. "

quote from the op.

Well today the Korean guy visited the office of education and informed them that BOTH of us have been harassing him and taking pictures of him at his store/restaurant.

I think he's told one lie too many now as my schools CCTV will back me up as to my whereabouts on Tuesday at the time I was supposed to be stalking him.

But the Korean guy no doubt has 'witnesses' doing whatever it is he claimed we were doing.

(For the record, I haven't seen Benjamino in person in months.)
TexasChicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Libel Reply with quote

On a positive note I do believe you have a strong case of slander and libel if you wanted to form a lawsuit. Going to your boss and telling him these personal matters is illegal i'm pretty sure.

You may want to record your meeting with this guy and the principal. Once you've got him slandering you in front of your boss on audio It's a pretty much air tight libel case against the guy.

T.C.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously! I'd be raging about having been slandered, and that I would never urinate in public.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for my daily update on this.....

I believe I'm facing the sack very soon due to the Korean guys relentless pursuit of 'justice' .

He's been to my school again yesterday and the board of education. I'm told that once the OP has his final court verdict of the appeal then we will both face the same punishment from the BOE.

Best case scenario - they keep me on till June and we shake hands on at the end of contract.

Probable result - 30 days notice and visa termination. I'll never work in Korea again as I now have a criminal record

I appreciate the advice of suing this guy for slander but I can't afford a lawyer. If I'm sacked then I'll need every penny to get a flight home or to another country for work.

I'm at my wits end and cannot believe this has happened to me. I've played everything by the book. I left everything to my school and they said do nothing and just accept the punishment.

I did all that and I'm on the verge of losing my job, home and everything.

This is not fair.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjamino wrote:
Time for my daily update on this.....

I believe I'm facing the sack very soon due to the Korean guys relentless pursuit of 'justice' .

He's been to my school again yesterday and the board of education. I'm told that once the OP has his final court verdict of the appeal then we will both face the same punishment from the BOE.

Best case scenario - they keep me on till June and we shake hands on at the end of contract.

Probable result - 30 days notice and visa termination. I'll never work in Korea again as I now have a criminal record

I appreciate the advice of suing this guy for slander but I can't afford a lawyer. If I'm sacked then I'll need every penny to get a flight home or to another country for work.

I'm at my wits end and cannot believe this has happened to me. I've played everything by the book. I left everything to my school and they said do nothing and just accept the punishment.

I did all that and I'm on the verge of losing my job, home and everything.

This is not fair.

That is sad to hear. Too bad that it is all too typical. Come to China.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/when you leave, name and shame the guy. We could all go there en masse and make his life miserable, as he clearly hates the ideas of foreigners living hear his place of business.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have been reading this site for a while, you would know that I was attacked by a Korean guy while walking down the road (because apparently my friend was urinating in the middle of a busy road, right after we had left a restaurant where we were sitting right by the bathroom).

My apologies. I read this wrong. It's sarcasm and I wasn't paying close enough attention.

So why do you think he attacked you? I've read the first few pages of your original thread, and I have to tell you that the way you write it up; it looks like you blame it on talking to Korean girls, or wannabe tough Korean guys who are drunk. Now you say he's a restaurant owner in the neighborhood.

It just doesn't make any sense. But then again, I really don't care one way or the other. I wouldn't hold it against you either way.
Savant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
If/when you leave, name and shame the guy. We could all go there en masse and make his life miserable, as he clearly hates the ideas of foreigners living hear his place of business.

I'm all for flashmobbing outside his restaurant with Gangnam Style blazing in the background. We'll call it Korean Cultural Appreciation Day.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: