Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

letter of release plus d10 visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakuraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: letter of release plus d10 visa Reply with quote

I am getting a letter of release from my employer (and quitting my job) but I still have 7 months left on my visa. Is it possible to stay living on the visa for the remaining 6-7 months then switch to a d10 to take a full year plus off?

Thanks for any info
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is against Korean law. You and/or your school have to inform immigration of your status within 14 days. One thing that you do have to inform of is quitting your job. So no waiting around for the visa to expire.

Do you really need a year to look for a job? I knew things where tough for some people, but that takes a either a high level of incompetence or pickiness. Or do you need a year off for something else?

Maybe just maybe your school might let you hang around. But it will likely not be worth it for them.

Also you can not work during that time except for the school that hired you, which you are quitting.
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your legal status in Korea will expire soon after your E2 visa is cancelled by your boss. This will probably happen when your director hires a new teacher and the new teacher is registered with immigration. If you wish to remain legally here in Korea, you should go to immigration now with your Letter Of Release(LOR) and apply for a D10. Then you will have 6 months to hang around the ROK. Of course you can stay as long as you want illegally, now that you are here but exiting may be a problem if you don't have a valid visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: