Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why can't you be as good as this teacher?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Why can't you be as good as this teacher? Reply with quote

Very Happy

http://www.wimp.com/homeroomteacher/
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't you be as good as this teacher? Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Very Happy

Why can't we be this good? Because it's impossible in this culture. We are "inferior" foreigners who are not to be taken seriously and teach students that are taught by Korean adults/parents that it is ok to disrespect us. If we were Korean then maybe we'd get some respect like this guy.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't you be as good as this teacher? Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Very Happy

Why can't we be this good? Because it's impossible in this culture. We are "inferior" foreigners who are not to be taken seriously and teach students that are taught by Korean adults/parents that it is ok to disrespect us. If we were Korean then maybe we'd get some respect like this guy.

Dude, this is way too broad of a claim. Do people have this experience? Yes. Is it everyone's experience? No. Plenty of teachers are highly respected by the Koreans they work with and by the students they teach. I'm sorry that you've had such a crappy time professionally in Korea, but Korea's cultural failures aren't nearly as universal as you make them out to be.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why can't you be as good as this teacher?"

Dude, that's cold. He's dealing with deeply traumatized children. I hope my students never have to go through the same thing.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's good though, you have to admit. Really good.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why can't you be as good as this teacher? Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Very Happy

Are you joking? I honestly can't tell. Let the kid mourn the loss of his grandmother, there is no need to have a "worse story about a dead relative contest". I'm sure the camera had nothing to do with that little story telling session either.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Agreed. That guy's supposed to be a teacher, not a "grief contest counselor." Also, how long do you think a foreign English teacher in Korea is going to stay at a school if the entire class is crying over something?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK that guy would be on a potential disciplinary charge in the first two minutes of that lesson for hugging that kid. The other kids would be shouting out 'paedo'
littlelisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making it a priority to have kids feel empathy/create a culture for empathy in your class is a wonderful thing. I don't think it was creating a "worse story contest". I think it shows a class where kids DO honestly share and listen to each other and empathize as a regular thing. Sure, it was an extreme example of that, but still. To create a classroom environment where kids feel safe talking about things like that to other students is incredible. A teacher who can do that is a teacher kids remember forever. A teacher is not a grief counsellor, but if your students are dealing with hard things, you want to do as much as you can to help them. I think that teaching kids to become good people is as important as teaching them math and reading.

A little while ago, I went to a showing of the Vagina Monologues. At the end, one person was awarded a prize called the vagina warrior for doing anything that helps end violence against women. The woman who won worked with many women who'd been sexually molested. She came up and told people for the first time that she had been sexually molested when she was younger (she didn't go into any details of course). It's really hard to share something like that with a room full of people, and afterwards people came up to her to share with her that they had also had the same experience, but had never had the courage to tell anyone. It's a healing thing when people feel that they can share what they've been hiding, and to make people feel safe to share something like that... Afterwards she said that she had been really nervous about sharing her story, but that she finally felt glad that she did not only for her own self, but also for feeling like by sharing she was able to help others feel safe to share too. This video reminded me of that kind of thing. Not a contest where you try to make up a worse story, but feeling safe enough to share something you've been hiding.

To me, this man seems like an amazing teacher. Even if you don't like the grief-sharing stories, you can tell he has a really good connection to his students.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
In the UK that guy would be on a potential disciplinary charge in the first two minutes of that lesson for hugging that kid. The other kids would be shouting out 'paedo'

Yeah, and there were some pretty serious riots in the UK in recent years. None in Japan.

So what's your point?

I don't think it's fair to bring the UK into this, and bash on it. Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, and there were some pretty serious riots in the UK in recent years. None in Japan.

So what's your point?

No point really. Just an observation.
ricochet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, he's the second best teacher i've ever seen in my handsome ass life! Shocked
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video. Here's a pretty funny one:

http://www.wimp.com/sneezingbear/
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:

To me, this man seems like an amazing teacher. Even if you don't like the grief-sharing stories, you can tell he has a really good connection to his students.

No, I can't tell anything from the video. I just saw kids huddled in the corner crying like they just witnessed a train wreck. I'm not a "professional" teacher but as an ESL drone I've seen the best Korean teachers at my school and I know how they work. They are low on drama like this and they know how to address issues the kids have without disturbing class. I know students in my class have had far worse things happen to them, and by the way my KT's handled the situation you wouldn't even know anything was going on. That teacher just came off as a drama queen that wanted to put on a show for the camera. It was really shallow of him to exploit the death of his student's relatives to make him look like some kind of a super teacher. You really think everyday of his homeroom class is spent talking about dead relatives? I can make a kid cry and hug them by making them recall a traumatic incident in their life, it doesn't make me special.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people here are so defensive! Relax, don't do it - when you want to go to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: