Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding the ideal recruiter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PREEST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Finding the ideal recruiter Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to these forums! I have lived in Korea for 18 months, but returned to my native New Zealand in December 2012. I am hoping to go back to Korea in Feb/March.

Unlike the first time round, where I wasn't too concerned with location, I have found it difficult to find a recruiter who helps find me work that best suits what I am looking for. I am constantly being offered jobs in areas too far from my desired location. It seems if I turn a job down, they don't get back to me. One recent recruiter had told me a school in the area I want is interested in me, she said she would set up the interview and get back to me with an interview time...She never got back to me.

Who are some reliable recruiters that you have used? Who can you recomend?Any help would be much appreciated~[/u]
Alum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why you'd want to rely on a recruiter in the first place. They don't want you to be selective. They just want you to take the job they offer you so they can close the deal. Do they REALLY have your best interests in mind. There are plenty of jobs w/o recruiters. After 18 months in Korea, I'm surprised you don't have a list of possible places to apply! Rely on yourself!
tremault

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, where is your desired area?
it could be that there are not many openings in the area you are interested in.
In that case they will try to match your requirements as closely as they can because that's how they will get paid.
I don't think recruiters are going to purposely try to be awkward. The recruiter I am currently working with found me positions in yongin and made it clear she was trying to get me close to a large city like I had asked.
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having the same issue with recruiters. my best friend started a job there in november and sent me the contact info for her recruiter who she LOVED, got her the perfect position, listened to everything she wanted etc. etc. I emailed him all of my information, a friendly introduction, mentioned my friend and he just never ever wrote back.

i know people have suggested not using recruiters but 99% of the jobs posted are from recruiters so, what gives?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:
i am having the same issue with recruiters. my best friend started a job there in november and sent me the contact info for her recruiter who she LOVED, got her the perfect position, listened to everything she wanted etc. etc. I emailed him all of my information, a friendly introduction, mentioned my friend and he just never ever wrote back.

i know people have suggested not using recruiters but 99% of the jobs posted are from recruiters so, what gives?

They use their Korean wives or girlfriends to call schools on their behalf to find vacancies, or something like that. Schools love it because they don't have to pay recruiter's fees and they don't have to pay for a flight to Korea.

An "ideal" recruiter doesn't exist. Just be firm in telling them what you want and don't let them talk you into taking a bad job at a bad school.
FastForward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:

You aren't in Korea and haven't networked in Korea, so your only option would be to use the recruiters to find the job. You probably will have a really hard time trying to avoid going through recruiters. Plus, I don't see why you wouldn't want to use a recruiter. They have access to 100's of jobs and it makes the process pretty easy.
watergirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this as well and to be so frustrating. What I've found helps is to not rely on just one recruiter,
-write an intro detailing what you're looking for and send it to as many recruiters that you can. (just copy and paste)
-the recruiters will initially send you jobs completely unrelated to your write-up (I've guessed that what they're doing is simply emailing your cv to all their employers and seeing who is interested in you and then forwarding you these jobs)
-just persist and say again, you're looking for a job in this location
I have found some to eventually find me what I'm looking for

I find it much more enjoyable to merely apply to the ads from the hakwaons or companies who advertise themselves. a lot are on craigslist
The best thing by the way is to somehow get the email address of a foreigner at the school. This has to be asked for lightly or indirectly, I've said 'to find out about the area and remitting money back home etc.
Recruiters have given it to me but have been reluctant to but just ask again.
Try not to ask for it in the first interview of course.
steve902

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dealt with Lynn from the company listed below. I've spoken to recruiters from multiple countries, and she was by far the best. She was organized, on time (for calls/ interviewes, nice, attentive well spoken, well mannered, and seemed honest in her descriptions. She followed up when I emailed her with questions and was prompt with replies.

ThinkOutSide Recruiting

www.thinkoutsiderecruiting.com

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=55917
PREEST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve902 wrote:
I dealt with Lynn from the company listed below. I've spoken to recruiters from multiple countries, and she was by far the best. She was organized, on time (for calls/ interviewes, nice, attentive well spoken, well mannered, and seemed honest in her descriptions. She followed up when I emailed her with questions and was prompt with replies.

ThinkOutSide Recruiting

www.thinkoutsiderecruiting.com

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=55917

That's amazing you should mention her. Because she is the one that got in touch with me, set me up an apparent interview then never got back to me...It has been two weeks or so now. Sent her and email to ask what is going on and haven't heard anything. She was helpful up until that point, but really only got my hopes up and then left me hanging.

My only request is that I get a job in Incheon. I have been offered almost everything under the sun, by many different recruiters, just hardly ever anything in Incheon. I know there are plenty of jobs there, I used to live in Incheon!! Another recruiter offered me a job in Pyeonteak, I had stated clearly that I wanted to be in Incheon! Of course, when I turned the job down, I never heard from them again.

I was in Yeonsu-gu in Incheon, my partner lives there and that is why I wish to go back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: