Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers that have moved back to America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIsbell wrote:
Yaya wrote:
UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.

Gonna use this as a springboard into American regionalism. Yes, America in general has a quite high obesity rate, but individual states often have lower rates than other OECD countries. For example, Colorado has a lower rate than Finland (and iirc, their populations are similar).

The most obese region in the US is the South, which is also the Bible Belt. So yes, there are a lot of obese, evangelical evolution-opposing gay-bashing Americans, but that's just one particular region which is, population-wise, comparable to France or Germany. And to balance my bit of South-bashing, the South has such a fantastic culinary culture- Cajun food, Soul food, Barbeque, Tex-Mex, etc. Take a look at the Pacific Northwest and you'll find a regional culture that is just about as liberal (and obese) as France and probably more diverse. Meanwhile in California and the Northeast you have some of the world's greatest centers of art, fashion, science, and modern thought/intellectualism. This could be seen in contrast to the rural, agricultural based regional culture found in the Midwest.

So I guess one nice thing about America, coming back from Korea, is that you really have a lot of variety in places to live within the country. Korea has some differences based on urban or rural living, and some regional differences (Seoul and Busan seem like they'd offer reasonably different living experiences, for example) but Korea can't quite compare to American regionalism, in my opinion. Living in Portland versus San Antonio versus NYC versus Los Angeles all offer major differences that you can match to your tastes.

Don't think it's because of the Bible that southerners get fat. I'd say it's the discusting muggy heat that makes you lazy. Add in greasy food. Felt the same thing my first year in Korea. I had to eat the junk because I couldn't read or speak any Korean. Went for what I knew. Was so hot and there was a lack of air con anywhere. Just stayed in my shoebox all summer with the air con cranked. Gained weight. Have gradually slimmed down since. But, it seems a taste of life in the south.

Also, there's more variety of foods and tastes in the US. Go to Wal Marts website and look at all the different types of soda as just one example. Look at all the different types of restaurants, ect. More temptation. In Korea, food is less varied. But the younger Koreans are getting bigger as other foods and candies trickle in.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But let me add that I like visiting. I feel so in shape there. Ha ha. (I'm ok, but could be better.)
sml7285

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who is constantly annoyed by the title of this thread?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
For me, I realize what the U.S. is and isn't and it isn't for me. I have to agree with many of the posters who say they're sick of the politics, monotony, lack of travel opportunities, ignorance of the rest of the world, and for me personally, the UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.

I see fat people! Surprised

Back in the states for a few weeks, "fat" in KR and fat in the US are two totally different levels of fat...wow. I mean super wow! Leaving the NW for the South in a couple days, worried about what I will see down there. :/

The thing I notice most though, is for all their money Americans just aren't having any fun. There's a joylessness about them and a constant bickering about money, politics, etc. Sigh. A real constrast from Asia which tends to value a little thing called happiness!

They asked me when I am coming back to the home office so I can be "connected"...told them never, Asia is the future. Think that shocked a few people.
robinsoncrusoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been back in the states about 2 weeks now and boy, that first week was really painful! not many days (even now) when I don't think about buying a plane ticket back to the land of hite & cass.

I transitioned out of teaching english to teaching test prep to business consulting and although I still don't know what I want to do, I was good at whatever I was doing at the time. Maybe it's because I'm an F4, but I felt like Korea gave me the kinds of opportunities to run my own business, which would have been much harder for me to do in the US. I was able to get away with a lot of amateur mistakes when I first started consulting, whereas I'm pretty sure American clients and firms would've dropped my ass right away if I didn't meet the standards they were used to.

i think that were it not for my parents' advice, I'd be back on a plane right now. When I told them about my experiences, they asked me, "well, if you truly feel that way, take a moment and be honest with yourself...did you really try your best to make it in the US?"

a loaded question, i know, since there's no objective way to measure anyone's "best." But they have a point. I'm going to try to do what I did in Korea over here and agreed to stay put for at least 1 year. Over the course of that year, I'm going to give it my best to find out what area/field I want to pursue and gain some traction in it. If I honestly give it my best and there's still no progress, then it's back to Korea for me, this time without any reservations.

For me, there were very few things to dislike about Korea. socially and when it comes to relationships with women, korea was way better for me than the states. my parents' argument is that the US could be better for me financially. we'll see.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call me names for saying this....

There are many morbidly obese white people in the Southern USA, but race plays a very big part in overall weight stats.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinsoncrusoe wrote:
I've been back in the states about 2 weeks now and boy, that first week was really painful! not many days (even now) when I don't think about buying a plane ticket back to the land of hite & cass.

I transitioned out of teaching english to teaching test prep to business consulting and although I still don't know what I want to do, I was good at whatever I was doing at the time. Maybe it's because I'm an F4, but I felt like Korea gave me the kinds of opportunities to run my own business, which would have been much harder for me to do in the US. I was able to get away with a lot of amateur mistakes when I first started consulting, whereas I'm pretty sure American clients and firms would've dropped my ass right away if I didn't meet the standards they were used to.

i think that were it not for my parents' advice, I'd be back on a plane right now. When I told them about my experiences, they asked me, "well, if you truly feel that way, take a moment and be honest with yourself...did you really try your best to make it in the US?"

a loaded question, i know, since there's no objective way to measure anyone's "best." But they have a point. I'm going to try to do what I did in Korea over here and agreed to stay put for at least 1 year. Over the course of that year, I'm going to give it my best to find out what area/field I want to pursue and gain some traction in it. If I honestly give it my best and there's still no progress, then it's back to Korea for me, this time without any reservations.

For me, there were very few things to dislike about Korea. socially and when it comes to relationships with women, korea was way better for me than the states. my parents' argument is that the US could be better for me financially. we'll see.

I think many of the younger people who try Korea come back because they have time. Believe it or not, Korea has more expats than ever before and the number of expats will keep rising. Free trade agreements will definitely ensure that.

As for being more successful financially in the U.S., I am not sure about that. You have people who say they're leaving Korea because they want a yard, parks, blah blah blah and some get them while other struggle. The cost of living in the U.S. has risen exponentially and the 2008 financial crisis made sure that many jobs will never return.

Not to say the U.S. is a lost cause, but I'm thinking it's not the best place to be, if it ever was. Asia is happening and fun, and life is too short not to enjoy.
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Back in the states for a few weeks, "fat" in KR and fat in the US are two totally different levels of fat...wow. I mean super wow!

Last year I saw a young woman down the sidewalk. She was wearing a tank top and was about to enter a 7-11. From a brief glance at a distance, it looked like both her boobs had fallen out of her tank top! I did a double take and looked again. The rolls of fat on her back were so large, two of them appeared to look like large saggy boobs that went down to the top of her butt. What was seen, cannot be unseen.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
The cost of living in the U.S. has risen exponentially

So you think the cost of living in the U.S. is rising (and has risen) faster than prices are rising in Korea?
Quote:
The inflation rate in the United States was recorded at 1.70 percent in December of 2012. Inflation Rate in the United States is reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Prices are hardly going up at all there.
Quote:
The all items index increased 1.7 percent over the last 12 months, compared to a 1.8 percent figure in November. The index for all items less food and energy rose 1.9 percent over the last 12 months, the same figure as last month. The food index has risen 1.8 percent over the last 12 months, and the energy index has risen 0.5 percent.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Yaya wrote:

So you think the cost of living in the U.S. is rising (and has risen) faster than prices are rising in Korea?
Quote:
The inflation rate in the United States was recorded at 1.70 percent in December of 2012. Inflation Rate in the United States is reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Quote:
The all items index increased 1.7 percent over the last 12 months, compared to a 1.8 percent figure in November. The index for all items less food and energy rose 1.9 percent over the last 12 months, the same figure as last month. The food index has risen 1.8 percent over the last 12 months, and the energy index has risen 0.5 percent.

I don't disagree that the cost of living in Korea is high or that inflation is bad here, BUT you don't need a car in Korea, which removes a big expense. And if the U.S. was so much better in cost, why do so many who have gone back to the U.S. write about how expensive it is and how much easier it was to save dough in Korea while traveling in Asia?

I'm also thinking World Traveler might be a guise for that Korea-hating poster Real Reality.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
if the U.S. was so much better in cost, why do so many who have gone back to the U.S. write about how expensive it is and how much easier it was to save dough in Korea while traveling in Asia?

Those who left and were able to find a good job generally stop posting here. Those who fail at that want to come back to Korea, giving the impression that things are horrible in the West. (Those are the stories we hear...not the success ones.) Maybe they are for some people. But not for everyone. Do you really think it's OK for you (as a gypo) to make thousands of posts bashing America, and then get defensive and angry anytime anyone has something slightly good to say about the place?
allovertheplace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does moving back to America preclude 'cool' travel and opportunities? I have been back for 3 years and have lived in 2 other countries for work (not ESL), have an official passport, travel in more comfort, and just got back from 2 weeks in central america (vacation). YES - its easier to have that lifestyle teaching ESL, but it is possible to keep that coveted ex-pat lifestyle stateside.

Yes, its difficult finding a good job back home. But jobs do exists with opportunities.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Yaya wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The inflation rate last year was 1.7% per BLS, and the 10yr average is 2.4%. The forward looking rate implied by the market (spread on TIPS vs govies) is 2.6% for the next 10-30yrs.

...and all this is total BS.

Inflation is most likely much higher now and is only going to get worse as they continue to hyperinflate their way out of the debt.
kimchipig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Korea long-termer so perhaps I can add a few points.

Korea is a fun place for a 20-30 something with no family but let's face it, you are not going to get rich teaching Englishie in Korea, no matter what youngsters post here. I as there for nine years so I would know. I made reasonably good money in Korea by the standards of a 20-30 something but as someone who is now close to a 50-something, it was chicken feed compared to what you can achieve in a good career in Canada.

The problem in Korea is your are going to hit a glass ceiling pretty quickly. I did and once you are there, you are not going up. I realised that and go out before I turned 40 which, looking back, was a good decision. I didn't want to be a 50 year old sitting in a university dorm room making less than $2000 a month.

Returning to Canada after such a long absence was hard since you don't have any connections. I immediately started looking for private students and it took five years, yes, five, to make a good living at it.

I am now back for nine years and I have a nice home, car, family and money in the bank. My tutoring has now branched out into an agency with many tutors working for me. I make money like I have never in my life and several times more than I made in Korea. However, the teaching experience I had in Korea was extremely valuable.

Canada has been quite insulated from inflation as our dollar has appreciated a lot over the last decade and when I was in Korea last year, it was hardly cheap anymore.

Eventually most ESL teachers will go home. I for one always felt a little sorry for lifers, dressed in their hanboks, which is rather odd since Koreans rarely ever wear them.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that people who go back to their own countries have to snipe at those who remain here with comments like the ones above and people who like it here have to do the same thing with jibes about overweight women and working in a cubicle etc...can't you be satisfied with your own lives without trying to get one over on others? Is this one-upmanship really the key to happiness?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: