Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I find a job after being sacked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supershi2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Can I find a job after being sacked? Reply with quote

I'm currently working at a hagwon and having a hard time adjusting. I've been here two months. I started off with a LOT of problems, but feel like I've made some improvement. However, I'm not sure this improvement is enough for me to keep my job. I've been trying really hard, taking advice from older teachers, watching my videos, etc. but I'm not sure I will still be with the company at the end of the term.

I know it would be easier to find a job while still being here in the country, but I'm not sure if I can get a good letter of recommendation. Would I be able to find another job if my contract is terminated, or should I go home and start from scratch?
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you go home and get a job in the field you went to college for. You are obviously not cut out to be a teacher.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I find a job after being sacked? Reply with quote

supershi2012 wrote:
I'm currently working at a hagwon and having a hard time adjusting. I've been here two months. I started off with a LOT of problems, but feel like I've made some improvement. However, I'm not sure this improvement is enough for me to keep my job. I've been trying really hard, taking advice from older teachers, watching my videos, etc. but I'm not sure I will still be with the company at the end of the term.

I know it would be easier to find a job while still being here in the country, but I'm not sure if I can get a good letter of recommendation. Would I be able to find another job if my contract is terminated, or should I go home and start from scratch?

Chances are that if you are under 6 months and do not get a LOR or have a valid complaint at the labor board you may need to leave Korea until the end of your contracted period before immigration will allow you to apply for a new visa or transfer to a new employer.

Try to make it work... 60-days in really is hardly enough time to get your feet wet.

YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are obviously not cut out to be a teacher.

Quote:
Chances are that if you are under 6 months and do not get a LOR or have a valid complaint at the labor board you may need to leave Korea until the end of your contracted period before immigration will allow you to apply for a new visa or transfer to a new employer.

Hmm, one negative, and one questionable.

My understanding is if you get fired you have a greater chance of being able to get a new scbool. Leaving Korea may be an unfortunate step, but remember this:

DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY YOU ARE IN UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED YOU HAVE EXHAUSTED ALL POSSIBLE WAYS TO GET A JOB IN THE COUNTRY.

Waiting until the end of the contract term (12 months) doesn't seem accurate. Also, we used to have to wait 75% of the contract period before, so I doubt it has gone up. This was more possible with public schools, and then they loosened the restrictions and allowed all schools to transfer after the 6 month mark.

I'd say once you get fired, you have a month (tourist visa) to get all your documents for a new visa. Plan ahead because the process I understand takes longer.

Until that time, do what you can to secure another school. Then, you can simply transfer to a new school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: