Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anybody actually LIKE how Koreans roll?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Does anybody actually LIKE how Koreans roll? Reply with quote

For all the negative things on this board about Koreans, is there anything that people actually like about the South Korean culture? For me, three things come to mind:

1st, they have good drinking etiquette. They're not going to leave you hanging at quarter-after-midnight because they want to go to bed, even though they're not doing anything the next day.
2nd, they don't give a $#!+ about copyright laws. Frankly, I think it's great that not every country in the world is beholden to all the rules and laws put forth by the Anglo-American mass media industry.
3rd, being able to walk places. I have a tailor/dry cleaner and a convenience store in the same building as me. Back home, the nearest convenience store would be a 20 minute walk, and the nearest tailor would be the nearest JCPenny's because there aren't any tailors in town.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tailor/dry cleaner, 24-hour convenience store, gym, and a pedicure shop in my building in NYC. This is not particularly South Korean.

I like copyright, so it angers me that there's so much theft here.

As for the drinking culture, it doesn't really affect me, as I don't really like to drink more than a glass or two of wine.

I do like the service that comes with larger purchases. I also love how the older women in my neighborhood invite me to sit and eat snacks with them. They also give small snacks to my dog when I have him with me. I've often brought them treats from a specialty bakery that I like.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3rd, being able to walk places

Actually this is one of the things that annoys me most about living in Seoul. It's hard to walk anywhere without having to stop and wait for ages at red lights or find your way through one of those ubiquitous underground shopping areas. I agree with number one though, it's nice not to have to feel self conscious if you want to let yourself go a bit on night outs.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like:

Not paying exorbitant prices for items at the airport, sporting events, etc..
Transportation
Walking
Drinking
Service in most dining establishments
Convenience
Koreans are friendly if you talk to them in Korean

I dislike:

Spitting
Littering
Service industry workers who seem grumpy all the time. (I realize the no tipping policy and low minimum wage is probably the cause)
The importance of image (imo has positive and negative points)
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue is... when we say things we like about Korea or Korean culture, it's bound to have overlap with other peoples and cultures. Same with the negative. So, if we say we hate the smog in Seoul, someone will chime in that LA has it worse. Or if we say it's great that Korea has a lot of multi-generational households, we'll easily find places where it's just as common overseas.

As well - what is Korean culture?

Is spitting on the sidewalk Korean culture? Driving on it? What about treating others to meals?

The thing is, there will always be average norms in society, outliers, and also things that are done that ppl may not like, but generally permit.

So at this point, when I see a question like this, I'm thoroughly confused.

After 11+ years here, I don't think I know what "Korean Culture" is anymore.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
One issue is... when we say things we like about Korea or Korean culture, it's bound to have overlap with other peoples and cultures. Same with the negative. So, if we say we hate the smog in Seoul, someone will chime in that LA has it worse. Or if we say it's great that Korea has a lot of multi-generational households, we'll easily find places where it's just as common overseas.

As well - what is Korean culture?

Is spitting on the sidewalk Korean culture? Driving on it? What about treating others to meals?

The thing is, there will always be average norms in society, outliers, and also things that are done that ppl may not like, but generally permit.

So at this point, when I see a question like this, I'm thoroughly confused.

After 11+ years here, I don't think I know what "Korean Culture" is anymore.

I know less and less each year, going on 20.

Mark Twain ... "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: h Reply with quote

I agree, I like the not caring about copyright, it has become way to strict in America and other countries now.

I also like their drinking etiquette as well. It's not demonized like in the bible belt and you can have a bottle of soju or whatever anytime you want.

Also, the service industry is really good. Even if the salesperson is in a bad mood, they at least pretend to me friendly here.

Lastly, the ease of going anywhere I want to go. Just hop in a taxi for long distance or ride my bicycle.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul and it's exurbs excepting Bundang are only good for walking if you're comparing them with hellish sprawls like Atlanta and Houston. Greater Seoul is horrendous compared to New York, Boston, Montreal, or D.C., to name a few.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It's much cheaper than the UK for almost everything

2) I pay hardly any tax compared to 25% back home

3) You get freebies when you buy things in stores. I bought a laptop and got a bag, mouse, webcam & mouse-mat. Maybe I'm easily pleased but in the UK you'd get nothing extra.

4) Convenience Stores open 24/7 which is nice and the bigger stores such as homeplus open till 11pm.

Downsides...

1) The Racism in smaller towns and cities (of course this doesn't exist so some people)

2) Taking things back to the stores for a refund is an absolute nightmare and pure chance as to its success

3) Covering mouths, noses when coughing or sneezing seems to be the exception rather than the norm. As does washing hands after going to the toilet.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

So in conclusion, I like shopping, saving money and have a hygiene phobia. Very Happy

Good thread this.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjamino wrote:

4) Convenience Stores open 24/7 which is nice and the bigger stores such as homeplus open till 11pm.

See, as an American, these are odd things to get excited about. Korean prices are generally higher than what we have at home, and even small town grocery stores in the States are generally open until 11 or 12 - and actually open at a reasonable hour in the morning, not the absurd 9 or 10 o'clock that you get in Korea. Not bashing here, it's just interesting the degree to which your experiences in your home country color your views on Korea.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe true but supermarkets in the UK are much better than those here in terms of variety of goods and price.
T-J

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Benjamino wrote:

See, as an American, these are odd things to get excited about. Korean prices are generally higher than what we have at home, and even small town grocery stores in the States are generally open until 11 or 12 - and actually open at a reasonable hour in the morning, not the absurd 9 or 10 o'clock that you get in Korea. Not bashing here, it's just interesting the degree to which your experiences in your home country color your views on Korea.

Our neighborhood mom and pop is open daily from 6am to 1am 365 days a year. Just goes to show...
Benjamino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Maybe true but supermarkets in the UK are much better than those here in terms of variety of goods and price.

True in terms of choice but I find emart and homeplus cheaper for my essentials.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

True in terms of choice but I find emart and homeplus cheaper for my essentials.
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I had a tailor/dry cleaner, 24-hour convenience store, gym, and a pedicure shop in my building in NYC. This is not particularly South Korean.

Well, it is if you live in a city of 250,000 people like I do. Of course these services will be common in biggest city in the USA, but how about in a place like Wichita, Kansas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: