Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Explorer, Toliet paper trash cans, Korean Culture
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of people in Korea believe in fan death, too, so I'm not sanguine about "a Korean told me this is the reason" as being all that authoritative. By the way, any toilet's going to clog if you use practically the whole roll of toilet paper in one shot. And, by "improved in the 1990s" I take it you mean "actually present." As metnioned above, in the late 1970s, my house in Seoul, in a nice enough area, had no sewage plumbing. It wasn't all that rare either for a house to not have flush toilets.
crescent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to illustrate that only buildings built in the late 90's and later could possibly be fit with adequate plumbing. Even then, with the economy in the state it was at the time, the extra cost of better plumbing systems would impose limits to how many new buildings had it.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
CentralCali wrote:
Lazio wrote:
That�s a lame excuse.

These very same people grew up without phones, let alone mobile phones. Now they�ve adopted smart phones and can�t live without them.

To you, it's lame. Heck, to me it's pretty lame too. But that has to be the reason behind it. There's nothing wrong with the sewage pipes today which, of course, weren't there 40 years ago. The point is, that's the way they were trained.

Your example of them not growing up with mobile phones doesn't really apply, IMHO. For one thing, as you said, they didn't grow up with the phones so there's nothing for them to compare that to. They did, on the other hand, grow up taking their daily dump.

I grew up using toilet paper. Now I have a bidet. It was an easy habit to break, so it is a lame excuse.

I love my bidet as well.

But we all know that there are different 'adaptors' in society.

Many change quickly, but a good portion continue to do what they do - regardless of the evidence against it.

Remove the cans from public toilets and have signs that say to flush it?
newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys know that bidet is one of the most unsanitary thing in the world right? The water splashes all over the toilet including where the water dispenses from.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Many change quickly, but a good portion continue to do what they do - regardless of the evidence against it.

Remove the cans from public toilets and have signs that say to flush it?[/quote]

I've seen restrooms in modern places (Sentum City, Lotte Department Store, etc.) with signs advising the commode users to flush paper down the toilet. You know what else I saw in the very same stall as the sign? Yep, a pile of used toilet paper in the corner. The pile was on the floor because there was no trash can for it.
crescent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
I've seen restrooms in modern places (Sentum City, Lotte Department Store, etc.) with signs advising the commode users to flush paper down the toilet. You know what else I saw in the very same stall as the sign? Yep, a pile of used toilet paper in the corner. The pile was on the floor because there was no trash can for it.

Um, I've been to the bathroom at Sentum City a couple of times. I didn't see anything on the floor in the stalls. Don't tell me I was lucky to get in there right after the cleaner on both occasions.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

Remove the cans from public toilets and have signs that say to flush it?

I was there last month, and the toilets were clean. I'm not saying that NOBODY does that, but certainly not the majority. That was a gross image, though. I think I'll pass on that late-night cup of decaf tea.

Last edited by NYC_Gal 2.0 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Internet Explorer, Toliet paper trash cans, Korean Cultu Reply with quote

Landros wrote:

And God the public washroom at SeoHyun Station stank so bad today. Why don't men flush shitty toilet paper?

When your in the USA give the Greyhound Bus bathrooms a try one of these days. Also Thailand can be really nasty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: