Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lance Armstrong...who knew.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, obsession with perfectionism and hypocrisy are definitely underlying themes of the documentary, with his family serving as the main example of that. The documentary provided lots to think about that go beyond sports. It was enlightening to me to see the casual acceptance the classical musicians had about taking beta blockers to reduce their anxiety, or high school kids taking drugs to improve their focus when they are studying.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
ewlandon wrote:
Kuros wrote:
ewlandon wrote:
If you are at all interestedin this stuff you should watch the docu. called Bigger, Stronger, Faster it gives a pretty balanced view of drugs in sports.

I have been interested since I was introduced to this as a Freshmen at a ritsy Cali school. My psychology teacher was big into body building and brought in his trainer one day to tell us about drugs in sports. His trainer had trained britney spears and other celebs as well as many pro athletes.

He told us that "rule of thumb" i posted and explained everything. It was a huge eye opener to me. Also he explained how it goes way beyond pro sports and into highschool stuff especially with football. The ammount of parents who will drive to mexico to get their kids HGH so that they can be the star football player in highschool and get scholarships in college. The sporting world is a crazy place.

The scandal is more than about an individual athlete who chose to dope and thus won championships. Armstrong ran a drug ring, he forced his teammates to dope, threatened those who spoke out about his doping, lied under oath about doping, and sued those who told the truth about it.

I agree with you there, what he did was messed up. He was probably the worst in history when it comes to his actions to hide the facts.

As for phelps I would def say he was cheating if it werent for his inhuman like body proportions that could be the reason he is better than everyone else. But wouldn't be surprised if he was using drugs too as they are a huge part of high level swimming.

Are you sure? Have a look at this, you'll know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Skg3-eoxq4

Thanks for that link.

Man, the stuff those organizations do are shady.

Again - just wish it was able to be more out in the open.

Notice that the Canadian athletes interviewed were very frank about their use of performance enhancing drugs while the others didn't seem to want to discuss it or flat out denied it? I thought that was very interesting. Clearly, there are deep cultural differences at play.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Yeah, I just watched that vid again. Had watched it years ago, but wanted a refresher.

After watching it though, I found it less to be about steroids (on which, tons of time was spent), and more to be about the guy's family, and why they were "obsessed" with getting bigger strong faster.

When it comes to death from steroids... the main one trotted out in that vid was the suicide of Taylor Hooton. I felt bad for that dad to lose his son, but his focus on the steroid use seemed almost odd to me. The kid seemed to have tons of issues otherwise.

Same with Lyle Alzado. The focus on steroids, as opposed to the NUMEROUS other drugs he used, baffles me a bit. It reminds me of when someone dies from fan death here - sure, they ignore the alcohol in the system, and poor health of the victim - but instead the focus MUST be on the fan.

I'm sure you've seen this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmX8Q0vqKI
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Notice that the Canadian athletes interviewed were very frank about their use of performance enhancing drugs while the others didn't seem to want to discuss it or flat out denied it? I thought that was very interesting. Clearly, there are deep cultural differences at play.

maybe... but I think there's also legal issues at play.

Someone is welcome to prove me wrong, but it's my understanding that steroids (and the like) are classified differently in the two countries.

In Canada, it is a controlled substance - you can posses and use, but cannot deal/traffic in. Only legal "vendors" can do so (i.e.. pharmacies). So for the most part, being caught "using" in Canada will get you nothing.

In the US, it is classified in a higher category... and even possession is punishable.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
It depends on the competition. As far as I knew, they did polygraph tests as well - so other substances could be added to the mix.

But yeah, there's always going to be a "supplement" that will be able to sneak by testing.

Polygraph tests are pseudo scientific. They can't accurately determine if someone is being truthful or not. The reason cops give them to people is to get them to make statements that can be used against them in court.
GENO123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Armstrong...who knew.

Lance Armstrong...who cares

There is much more important stuff going on.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this thread should be, Who didn't know?

It was just a matter of being able to prove it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: