Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To those EPIK teachers leaving in Feb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: To those EPIK teachers leaving in Feb Reply with quote

I thought I'd give so some of my amazing wisdom that might save you some hassle down the line..... Smile

1. Paying final bills - You or you should ask co-teacher/K friend to call the gas board/elec board and tell them the final day you will be leaving the apt - ask them to come the day before and give you a final reading and to give you the bill there and then on the spot.

They CAN write them - then go to the bank, pay the bills and give the receipts to your finance lady at school - this will speed up your contract comp bonus - OR your school is super disorganized and will just give you it anyway (even if you haven't paid your final bills)...

2. Ask for a written reference BEFORE you leave the country! - this might not be important immediately when you get home but it can sometimes be a pain to get one once you leave the country - Co-teacher moves on/ 'too busy' writes you a shitty one (always harder for them to do that 'in country' and then look you in the face after they've done it) - loads of people here say ' you write it and have them sign it. I�d say that's a bad idea for many reasons......So why not ask them to write it in Korean, you can get it translated and notarized for 70-80 bucks and it all looks legit and nice! Also tell the specifically what you wanted included in the ref. and ask the principal to stamp it�.

3. Get a Korean police background check - Cheap and they'll print one out for you as you wait - WHY? You never know, you might decide to do teaching/something else where you must prove your clean criminal history throughout your life......Real pain to do that once you leave Korea� - take alien card with you to do this�.

4. Sort out your pension stuff before you leave.....

5. Leave your school in good terms (if you can!)

6. Take original/photocopies of all of your pay slips back with you � you might need them in the future!
Axiom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: To those EPIK teachers leaving in Feb Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:

2. Ask for a written reference BEFORE you leave the country! - this might not be important immediately when you get home but it can sometimes be a pain to get one once you leave the country - Co-teacher moves on/ 'too busy' writes you a shitty one (always harder for them to do that 'in country' and then look you in the face after they've done it) - loads of people here say ' you write it and have them sign it. I�d say that's a bad idea for many reasons......So why not ask them to write it in Korean, you can get it translated and notarized for 70-80 bucks and it all looks legit and nice! Also tell the specifically what you wanted included in the ref. and ask the principal to stamp it�.

Further to this, if there is even the slightest chance that sometime in the future you may want to apply for a position at a Korean uni, then also get a 경력증명서 (Certificate of Career).

It may save you a great deal of time.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this is great advice, some of which I wish I had taken. A big rule of thumb, it's a thousand times harder to get anything done once you are gone.
Lucas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

One more time for those of you just getting back from your hols.......
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
loads of people here say ' you write it and have them sign it. I�d say that's a bad idea for many reasons......So why not ask them to write it in Korean, you can get it translated and notarized for 70-80 bucks and it all looks legit and nice! Also tell the specifically what you wanted included in the ref. and ask the principal to stamp it�.

You want me to pay $80 for a reference letter? Ba ha ha ha hah a!
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quack Addict wrote:
Quote:
loads of people here say ' you write it and have them sign it. I�d say that's a bad idea for many reasons......So why not ask them to write it in Korean, you can get it translated and notarized for 70-80 bucks and it all looks legit and nice! Also tell the specifically what you wanted included in the ref. and ask the principal to stamp it�.

I don't think it's a bad idea if you did a good job and trust your co-op teacher will write a decent LOR, especially if don't have work lined up when you're returning home, or you're going into a career where you'll want to keep a running portfolio. The thing is..NOBODY is going to call Korea to get a reference. Plus it doesn't take long before teachers change schools, phone numbers change, etc., and everyone forgets that you were even there. The experience becomes a bit of a black hole, and this could be a way to bridge that.

Or you could just be wasting $80, it's the risk you take.
kinship

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paying final bills - You or you should ask co-teacher/K friend to call the gas board/elec board and tell them the final day you will be leaving the apt - ask them to come the day before and give you a final reading and to give you the bill there and then on the spot.

To add to this, clean your apartments thoroughly. I do not know how many horror stories I have heard about where previous westerners left their places in a filthy, disgusting mess.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You'd be surprised how unique most people's writing styles are.

If you want to write a cover letter and then have one or more of your ref's sound almost the same - fine. But that send red flags to more alert bosses.

You; 'well my co teacher wasn't confident in writing English, so I wrote it and they signed it'

Boss: Ok I�ll trust that you wrote an honest and balanced ref about yourself! Rolling Eyes
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:

You'd be surprised how unique most people's writing styles are.

If you want to write a cover letter and then have one or more of your ref's sound almost the same - fine. But that send red flags to more alert bosses.

You; 'well my co teacher wasn't confident in writing English, so I wrote it and they signed it'

Boss: Ok I�ll trust that you wrote an honest and balanced ref about yourself! Rolling Eyes

I think it's an individual situation if it is worth it or not. One good thing about "I write it and you sign it" is that you will write with a Western-style tone. A reference letter should be honest but not necessarily balanced. It's an endorsement of your character, not a performance review. I'd be afraid that a letter written in Korean might come off in a different tone than what a Western manager would expect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: