Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

signed a contract...wondering if my recruiter dropped me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: signed a contract...wondering if my recruiter dropped me Reply with quote

I have no experience so this is all new to me, but i signed a hagwon contract for a job in Seoul back in mid December. There was a lot of pressure to sign at first, but ever since I did there has been very little communication with my recruiter.

I did send them my CBC, apostilled diploma, passport copies and the medical self check form. First they told me my documents were never received. I called them back and said i had seen the delivery confirmation, after which they assured me that they had been located. Every time I've asked about the visa they've been pretty vague. The last time i followed up was about three weeks ago, and they told me they'd send me the visa number as soon as they had it.

What's going on here...I've heard to expect things getting done at the last minute but this seems a little fishy.

PS, is anyone actually concerned about the North right now? I've been reassuring my family that its just more empty threats and business as usual.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the documents got lost (at the recruiters office) or your recruiter (not his agency) quit and left you hanging.

I'd be ordering new documents if I was you.

The North is a non-issue except for Fox news or CNN (fear mongering at its best).

Alker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job starts in about 4 weeks, looks like I'm out of luck if I'll be needing new docs. Has anyone else had an excessively long wait to get their visa?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was for an EPIK/GEPIK job then no worry.
The NOAs will be sent soon and that would explain the "rush" back in Dec.

If it was for a hagwon (odd that they would be recruiting 90-120 days early) then you should be looking for a new job and getting new documents.

PREEST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, most recruiters are only interested in getting you a job so they can get paid. They don't really care for your well being...

I am currently looking to return to Korea after coming home for a holiday. One recruiter offered me a job in the exact location I wanted, she said she was in touch with the school and was going to get back to me with an interview time. Well, she never got back, and then deleted me from Skype and won't return my emails...(Thinkoutside recruiting)

These kind of experiences are really frustrating, and recruiters to me are kind of like lawyers..Only interested in getting paid and don't really care for their clients or potential clients.
Alker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously...they still get paid if I never make it to Korea?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alker wrote:

Nope.... they do not but you are assuming that recruiters don't quit and move on....

if it was a hagwon job and you sent the stuff off 6+ weeks ago AND you haven't heard back from anyone for more than 3 weeks then your documents are probably gone; lost in some pile of lost workers in the circular bin when your recruiter had their temper tantrum and quit and your recruiter has moved on to other things.

cheolsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alker wrote:
Actually, it's often the case that they only get paid if the school has a teacher for a certain length of time, such as 3 or 6 months. Until that point, if you quit or get fired, they are responsible for finding another teacher for free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: