Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I just threw in my daughter's PB&J sandwich she didn't finish from breakfast into my shake. Do you figure that makes me strange? lol

What's the oddest thing you've thrown in the blender?

Craziest thing I've done was raw eggs and ice cream.

I've also done a spoonful of peanut butter (really enhances the flavour and improves the texture), but not the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

The trainers at my gym are useless. Pitchmen, that's all. All they do is their little walk-around with people who are thinking about getting a membership. Spotting? I've never seen them offer it to anyone, nor would I trust that they know how to do it. The only reason I'm going there is because it saves me the time and the gas of driving across town to my old gym, where the owner is an experienced trainer who'd not only spot me on heavy lifts but would also sit on the machines for added weight when the stack wasn't enough for me. Luckily for me, I just made friends with other guy who lifts heavy (he's trying to qualify for the upcoming Mr. Korea, if I understand correctly). I'll be asking him to spot when I start needing it.

IMO, that's the best. If you can have guys that train at (around) the same time as you, not only can ya make friends, but they'll be there for ya in the spotting/assisting dept. AND ya don't have to feel like you're they're wanting you to pay 'em or something.

I train at 2:00pm.. and most of the people there are either over 60, or WAY out of shape.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

The trainers at my gym are useless. Pitchmen, that's all. All they do is their little walk-around with people who are thinking about getting a membership. Spotting? I've never seen them offer it to anyone, nor would I trust that they know how to do it. The only reason I'm going there is because it saves me the time and the gas of driving across town to my old gym, where the owner is an experienced trainer who'd not only spot me on heavy lifts but would also sit on the machines for added weight when the stack wasn't enough for me. Luckily for me, I just made friends with other guy who lifts heavy (he's trying to qualify for the upcoming Mr. Korea, if I understand correctly). I'll be asking him to spot when I start needing it.

IMO, that's the best. If you can have guys that train at (around) the same time as you, not only can ya make friends, but they'll be there for ya in the spotting/assisting dept. AND ya don't have to feel like you're they're wanting you to pay 'em or something.

I train at 2:00pm.. and most of the people there are either over 60, or WAY out of shape.

You've just reminded me of when I used to go to the gym at the CFB where I worked. There was this friendly elderly couple, I'm guessing they were both well over 70 years old, who'd work out at the same time I did. He was retired from the Canadian Forces. He wasn't particularly strong, but he worked out with a lot of intensity and focus. It was really inspiring to see an older gentleman being as active as he was.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Fer, that's one messed up gym - it has a sofa?? lol

There's a sofa in the waiting area in front of the lobby. There's also a massage chair. Some psycho hit the plates under both. I went there last night and he/she/they hid some of the plates again in the same place. I have no idea what the deal is. I plan to berate them if I catch them in the act.

In a way I don't know if I have a lot of complain about. It's a really really cheap gym that is pretty clean and neat for what it is. I'm literally the only person I've seen who works out seriously and I guess I shouldn't expect everybody to do the same or treat the gym like I do. But the plate hiding thing is just insane.

Quote:

I train at around 8am or after 9pm. Doesn't matter when I go. Young or old, everybody is out of shape and has no idea how to work out or even look like they want to do anything remotely hard.

Quote:
I've also done a spoonful of peanut butter

I just eat spoonfuls of PB out of the jar. If that's weird I don't want to be normal.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with eating peanut butter out of the jar (I personally prefer spreading it on the bread that I buy at the French bakery in Soreamaul (damn good snack)).

But, it really tastes great in a protein shake. Give it a try.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For various reasons I've had to take a couple of weeks off and just getting back into it. I now find myself in a new city with a new gym, and so far, I'm not happy with it. The place is HUGE, has every modern gimmicky machine under the sun, but only has a tiny little area reserved for barbell free weights, and there are still machines mixed in around that area. There's way too much foot traffic around the bench press, too many people using the one squat rack, the weights are disorganized, and they don't allow chalk! Oh yeah, and the place smells like BO and the music is too loud.

I'm not happy with the place at all, I miss my old gym.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
For various reasons I've had to take a couple of weeks off and just getting back into it. I now find myself in a new city with a new gym, and so far, I'm not happy with it. The place is HUGE, has every modern gimmicky machine under the sun, but only has a tiny little area reserved for barbell free weights, and there are still machines mixed in around that area. There's way too much foot traffic around the bench press, too many people using the one squat rack, the weights are disorganized, and they don't allow chalk! Oh yeah, and the place smells like BO and the music is too loud.

I'm not happy with the place at all, I miss my old gym.

Chalk? I don't know of any health clubs that allows it. Last time I've chalk in a gym was a long time, and that's because it's main purpose was for training in weightlifting.

But, yeah. Sounds like the gym I'm going to. My biggest problem is that the heaviest dumbbells they have are just 20kg. That really limits the range of exercises one can do.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

Chalk? I don't know of any health clubs that allows it. Last time I've chalk in a gym was a long time, and that's because it's main purpose was for training in weightlifting.

But, yeah. Sounds like the gym I'm going to. My biggest problem is that the heaviest dumbbells they have are just 20kg. That really limits the range of exercises one can do.

I could live without the chalk if that was my only complaint. I'm actually more annoyed than anything that they specifically advertised they have an Olympic weightlifting section and that it's so pitiful in a huge place filled with very expensive equipment.

There's another gym I'm going to try but unfortunately it's a bit out of the way for me.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Trained at MF Fitness today (Omokyo Stn). Loved it. Great place.. with great equipment. 15 mins from my place... hmmm... going to have to think about it for a bit.

Cap, how much is the monthly rate and daily rate? I'll be moving up to Seoul on Friday and I'd like to find a gym that's solid with a good free weight area, and a good set of dumbbells. I'll be living in the Mokdong area for a week or two. Thanks.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea of their monthly - but their daily drop-in is 10,000.

I dig the place, and plan to join there in a month or so.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Is it just a gym, or a gym/sauna combo? Because 10k for a drop in is pretty pricey. How much is the monthly for an average gym in Seoul? I've been paying roughly 50k a month at the gyms I went to.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though there's only one barbell at my gym, I'm lucky in that I'm the only person who ever uses it.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Is it just a gym, or a gym/sauna combo? Because 10k for a drop in is pretty pricey. How much is the monthly for an average gym in Seoul? I've been paying roughly 50k a month at the gyms I went to.

My gym has a 15,000 won drop in fee.

Both gyms run at least 1 million for the year - 600k per 6 months, and around 150k per month - if you only do one month.

There are cheaper gyms around, to be sure. But I've yet to find that sweet combo of cheap / great equipment / convenient.

If ya do choose to drop in there once or twice, pm me. Maybe we can head there together.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

My gym has a 15,000 won drop in fee.

Both gyms run at least 1 million for the year - 600k per 6 months, and around 150k per month - if you only do one month.

There are cheaper gyms around, to be sure. But I've yet to find that sweet combo of cheap / great equipment / convenient.

If ya do choose to drop in there once or twice, pm me. Maybe we can head there together.

That's definitely not cheap. My gym's 90000 per month, 240000 for 3 months (don't think they have a 6 month and a year membership deal). I prefer the one across town (70 000/month) for the reasons I've mentioned before, but I'd rather drive 5 minutes than 15-20 minutes.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tonight a guy was using the one barbell to do deadlifts but he was taking longer because he was mixing in other workouts like a circuit, which is kind of stupid if you're doing deadlifts. This kind of stuff irritates me because its a small gym with limited equipment and running a circuit means you hog the equipment longer. If you're gonna do deads, just freaking do deads.

I need to find a cheap gym that doesn't mess around with machines or other silly concoctions and just has barbells and squats racks and power racks. Surely they are around somewhere.

Or get enough money to buy my own power rack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 24 of 51

Jump to: