Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criminal Record Check, F2 Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbonthec

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Criminal Record Check, F2 Visa Reply with quote

I know this has been covered before; just wondering if there are any recent stories about this issue. Seems like the last I heard was half a year ago, and there was still a lot of confusion.

My situation is that I will be leaving my job at the end of Feb and travelling in Canada (my home country) for a while before coming back to Korea to find a new job. So, I will need to file for a CRC now (if the RCMP check is still what's needed, takes 3-4 months). Now, I have heard that a new CRC must be ordered when you return to your home country, but what of my situation, ordering first and then going back home for a visit? I just really don't want to return to Korea only to find my CRC is invalid... Anyone have any stories of similar circumstances that could put my worried mind at ease? (fat chance on this website? haha)

Second question: Has anybody heard if it's possible to start working at a new job while the CRC is still processing? I know, prolly fat chance there too. But maybe some hope?

Thanks for your help!
Skippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, how long are you going back for?

Some numbers to remember are.

CRC expire from 6 months from date of issue.

More then 90 days out of country and you will likely be asked for new CRC. Yet, I think that might just be for E-series people.

The couple months processing time is for those applicants IN KOREA. Since you are going back to Canada. Why not just try for a RCMP name check or an electronic fingerprint submission. Those checks take days or weeks to get back.

It is likely to work at a new job. The problem is when the local MOE comes calling for your papers, it might not being willing to wait. Yet you can also work any other job that does not require a CRC.
bbonthec

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

In answer to your questions, dunno yet. Just found out this afternoon that my job is getting cut short (no fault of mine, just business). Still up in the air whether I'll go back for an extended period, or bum around in Korea for a bit first and do part-time gigs, etc. I'm not overly worried, just wanna make sure I have all my bases covered.

Yeah, just checked the RCMP website and was pleased to see they streamlined the CRC procedures. Three day turnaround via electronic submission in-country, nice and quick. Even overseas, the waiting time was shortened from 3-4 months to only 9 weeks. I guess I should have checked there first before writing my OP, as it kinda made my questions moot. *forehead slap* But I do have another question:

I heard someone mention last year that once your CRC is submitted to the MoE, if you change jobs (without leaving the country) you can just visit your Gu office and ask for a copy of the CRC that they have on file. Which can then be resubmitted for your new job. Any further verification about this? Is it still possible, or did somebody just get lucky once?

Just need to know if I should order a second CRC to keep on hand for later. (I know they have a 6-month window. Back when I was E2, I used to order a new CRC every 6 months just to cover my ass. Should I have to worry about this again now? [The MoE does not currently have my CRC on file, as I have been employed at the same place for two years, since before the new laws went into effect.])

Thanks again. If my post seems a bit incoherent, it's because I'm still a bit surprised to have to be thinking about this stuff all of a sudden today...
bbonthec

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[double post, oops]
Skippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbonthec wrote:
But I do have another question:

I heard someone mention last year that once your CRC is submitted to the MoE, if you change jobs (without leaving the country) you can just visit your Gu office and ask for a copy of the CRC that they have on file. Which can then be resubmitted for your new job. Any further verification about this? Is it still possible, or did somebody just get lucky once?

I think the info was more, if you change area for example Daegu to Pusan. You might need to be required for new papers. That copies will not work, they want new ones as your are F2. But maybe you can luck out. Still hope for the best, plan for the worst. So get a new CRC.

[quote="bbonthec"
Just need to know if I should order a second CRC to keep on hand for later. (I know they have a 6-month window. Back when I was E2, I used to order a new CRC every 6 months just to cover my ass. Should I have to worry about this again now? [The MoE does not currently have my CRC on file, as I have been employed at the same place for two years, since before the new laws went into effect.])

Having extras is always good. Maybe you can submit your paperwork into MO before it expires. Do not really know.

Good Luck.
Thanks again. If my post seems a bit incoherent, it's because I'm still a bit surprised to have to be thinking about this stuff all of a sudden today...[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: