Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Getting an E2 while in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Questions about Getting an E2 while in Korea Reply with quote

Sorry, I know there have been posts about this before, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I wasn't able to get a D10 before my last visa expired so I came here on a tourist visa (I'm Canadian).

Before I came back I got my criminal background check but -- shortsightedly I realize -- didn't get it apostilled. I don't have my diploma notarized/apostilled either -- I still have the copy from over a year ago, but I assume I need a more recent one?

Anyway, is it possible to get the apostille in Korea if I already have a CBC from my home country or do I need to send all that back to the embassy in Canada? And does anyone know how long that usually takes? I'm having trouble getting any schools interested in me without all of my documents together.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about Getting an E2 while in Korea Reply with quote

jpe wrote:
Sorry, I know there have been posts about this before, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I wasn't able to get a D10 before my last visa expired so I came here on a tourist visa (I'm Canadian).

Before I came back I got my criminal background check but -- shortsightedly I realize -- didn't get it apostilled. I don't have my diploma notarized/apostilled either -- I still have the copy from over a year ago, but I assume I need a more recent one?

Anyway, is it possible to get the apostille in Korea if I already have a CBC from my home country or do I need to send all that back to the embassy in Canada? And does anyone know how long that usually takes? I'm having trouble getting any schools interested in me without all of my documents together.

If you have a current Canadian CBC you can get an affidavit at the Canadian embassy in Seoul and it will be acceptable to Korean immigration.
It still must meet the "6-months or younger" deadline when it hits the desk at immigration.

Your degree on the other hand will need to be certified by the Korean consulate in Canada.

Canada is NOT a signatory to the apostille treaty so an apostille is neither possible, legal or needed.

watergirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
so if you used a diploma and a crc Korean consulate stamped within canada, for your last job in Korea, check if it is still on file at immigration. You just call 1345 and ask them to check.
Oh, but sorry, actually, I think because you let your visa expire you will need to get new docs.

It can be done from within Korea. I did it last year, I'm from Vancouver so it might be slower for you if you don't come from a big city. It took about 3 weeks.
There are SEVERAL steps....

- CRC...check your city Police department's website for what they want.
I needed-
-fingerprints done easily and free at the Police station near Seodamon subway station (Line 5 and the spelling might be wrong) on a Canadian form from the Canadian Embassy (walking distance from the police station)
-maybe 2 letters, one with all my personal information and permission

-diploma and letter of permission, copies of ID
**I had to call a few lawyers who would do the verification by mail. (seriously, they;re just copying it and saying it is a true copy..)
The Korean consulate in my city gave me a lawyers number and this might be a good idea for you to try because, of course, the lawyers nearby will deal with this a lot.

-letter for my Vancouver consulate giving permission to release the information etc, photocopies of my Korean id

-several Money orders (I got them at the KEB bank in Itawaen, apparently many Korean banks can't issue MO in Canadian funds) to pay for CRC, Layer, and consulte

-I couriered all these things to my sister who could have mailed it all locally but who waited for the CRC from the police, then got the diploma copied at the lawyer, and took both docs to the Consulate. Apparently, the consulate did it very fast.

Unfortunately, I've read that each *consulate and *police department has different requests for documents so you need to check all their websites.

You need to check about the CRC because might be some new rules about needing a RCMP check now but I think it's just confusion.
What I did: I called a recruiter based in my city who knew all the ins and outs and called my home city's korean consulate to check everything.

Good luck..
lynnli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of services that can help you if you're in SK.

Canada
http://www.alscanada.ca/en/what-we-do/authentication-apostille.aspx
http://www.idocscanada.ca/

UK
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/

US
http://www.apostillepros.com/

watergirl wrote:
Hey
so if you used a diploma and a crc Korean consulate stamped within canada, for your last job in Korea, check if it is still on file at immigration. You just call 1345 and ask them to check.
Oh, but sorry, actually, I think because you let your visa expire you will need to get new docs.

It can be done from within Korea. I did it last year, I'm from Vancouver so it might be slower for you if you don't come from a big city. It took about 3 weeks.
There are SEVERAL steps....

- CRC...check your city Police department's website for what they want.
I needed-
-fingerprints done easily and free at the Police station near Seodamon subway station (Line 5 and the spelling might be wrong) on a Canadian form from the Canadian Embassy (walking distance from the police station)
-maybe 2 letters, one with all my personal information and permission

-diploma and letter of permission, copies of ID
**I had to call a few lawyers who would do the verification by mail. (seriously, they;re just copying it and saying it is a true copy..)
The Korean consulate in my city gave me a lawyers number and this might be a good idea for you to try because, of course, the lawyers nearby will deal with this a lot.

-letter for my Vancouver consulate giving permission to release the information etc, photocopies of my Korean id

-several Money orders (I got them at the KEB bank in Itawaen, apparently many Korean banks can't issue MO in Canadian funds) to pay for CRC, Layer, and consulte

-I couriered all these things to my sister who could have mailed it all locally but who waited for the CRC from the police, then got the diploma copied at the lawyer, and took both docs to the Consulate. Apparently, the consulate did it very fast.

Unfortunately, I've read that each *consulate and *police department has different requests for documents so you need to check all their websites.

You need to check about the CRC because might be some new rules about needing a RCMP check now but I think it's just confusion.
What I did: I called a recruiter based in my city who knew all the ins and outs and called my home city's korean consulate to check everything.

Good luck..
jpe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait, you don't need to actually get it done at the embassy?

And what is it the embassy stamps your documents with, if not an apostille?
watergirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm, you can get your CRC stamped at the Canadian Embassy but last I hear, they would only verify RCMP CRCs which take 3-4 months to get.

I don't know what an appostille is because it's an American process.
In Canada, the lawyer and the Korean consulate are certifying your docs and they merely use a stamp they have.
jpe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have my CRC as I mentioned, but I got it from the Toronto City police (which is much quicker). So I'm going to have to send that back to the K-embassy in Toronto as well?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpe wrote:
I already have my CRC as I mentioned, but I got it from the Toronto City police (which is much quicker). So I'm going to have to send that back to the K-embassy in Toronto as well?

TO = K=consulate .... and probably.

You can ask at the Canadian embassy...
Sometimes the Korean staff there are accommodating and know what they are doing (since you are just swearing out an "affidavit of authenticity"
and NOT "certifying a document")
but usually not and it is easier for them to say, "No," to you than to actually ask and provide the service.

If it is an RCMP issued CBC then they will (perhaps should would be a better word) "certify" the document.

The different is 22k for certification and 54500 for attesting the oath (affidavit of authenticity).

jpe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was told by immigration (and also a friend) that I don't need any new documents, since my last E2 only expired in December. I need to bring a copy of my verified diploma (from last time I applied over a year ago), but a CRC isn't necessary. Supposedly all your info is still on file for up to 3 months.

This is kind of surprising, especially because I thought one of the reasons the d10 exists is to save the trouble that re-applying to an e2 supposedly entails....anyway, we'll see when I actually go there with a new visa confirmation # if it's actually that simple.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpe wrote:
So I was told by immigration (and also a friend) that I don't need any new documents, since my last E2 only expired in December. I need to bring a copy of my verified diploma (from last time I applied over a year ago), but a CRC isn't necessary. Supposedly all your info is still on file for up to 3 months.

Do not take this as gospel. Verfiy, by calling immigration and asking again. The 90 day thing is one aspect of immigration I take with a whole bunch of salt. You might be very surprised at being told another answer. I would still proceed on getting the documents ready. Not just for immigration but also to keep twitchy recruiters/aschools asking for paperwork. Remember to them no papers means not ready and they will not talk to you.
watergirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might have changed things, so I would go into the immigration office and check. They'll have access to your specific records. Trouble is, I don't know if each immigration office is consistent. They're supposed to be but I've found seoul immigration better than others. Before, for ex, they didn't request a letter of release when changing jobs but the incheon immigration office did.
I think they've gotten better in some ways. Now, with the D10 visa as an option, one doesn't only have 2 weeks to get another job, before all the docs expire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: