Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neanderthal baby is possible
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Neanderthal baby is possible Reply with quote

Neanderthals could create their own culture and political force in the world, says Harvard scientist George Church.

A Harvard scientist has said it would be possible to clone a Neanderthal baby from ancient DNA if he could find a woman willing to act as a surrogate.

The process would not be legal in many countries and would involve using DNA extracted from fossils.

George Church, a genetics professor of Harvard School of Medicine, said that the process was possible and that far from being brutal and primitive, Neanderthals were intelligent beings.

They are believed to be one of the relatives of modern man and became extinct 33,000 years ago. He added that altering the human genome could also provide the answers to curing diseases such as cancer and HIV, and hold the key to living to 120.

He told Der Spiegel, the German magazine: "I have already managed to attract enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the human species largely extinct. Now I need an adventurous female human."

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/i-can-create-neanderthal-baby-20130122-2d3u7.html#ixzz2IfUYcU85

-------------------------------------------------------

At first I when I read the title I was going to congradulate zackback on becoming a father, then I read on. Joke's on the researchers. Dave's has managed to create a Neanderthal culture for years now.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the original article. He was hypothetically speaking. He has no plans to clone cavemen.

Taking the article you linked to at face value shows a lack of scientific literacy on your part.
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humor, this is 12ax7. 12ax7, this is humor. Rolling Eyes
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Humor, this is 12ax7. 12ax7, this is humor. Rolling Eyes

Sure, if you say so. Rolling Eyes
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a baby Neanderthal. I bet he would look like this --------> Shocked
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grand Wizards who brought you genetically modified soy beans and margarine will probably pull it off in the next 30yrs...I think I could be great.

There were different tribes of man; we survived and they didn't. Why not add back some genetic diversity. Get a population of Neanderthals going and then have sex with them and make some homo-neander half breeds.

Sounds like fun, what could possibly go wrong? LOL.
comm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
There were different tribes of man; we survived and they didn't. Why not add back some genetic diversity. Get a population of Neanderthals going and then have sex with them and make some homo-neander half breeds.

Humans have already interbred with Neanderthals, probably including some of your ancestors.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

Humans have already interbred with Neanderthals, probably including some of your ancestors.

Actually, the genetic similarities are most probably due to common ancestry, not interbreeding.
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Neanderthal baby is possible Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
far from being brutal and primitive, Neanderthals were intelligent beings..

Congratulations, another news report finally confirms what i was saying years ago.

Of course neanderthals can breed with humans. Because they were human.

The whole primitive hairy caveman myth- complete with gorilla-like artists impressions- was a fantasy invented by evolutionists.

12Ax7 wrote:
Actually, the genetic similarities are most probably due to common ancestry, not interbreeding.

That is just mere speculation driven by evolutionists desperate to try and claim neanderthal as more separate than it is.

The fact is that humans and neanderthals are between 99.5% and 99.9% genetically identical. They are in fact, no different than any two humans of different races existing on the planet today.

Don't buy into the hype.
kinship

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Congratulations, another news report finally confirms what i was saying years ago.

The whole primitive hairy caveman myth- complete with gorilla-like artists impressions- was a fantasy invented by evolutionists.

I will support this statement as the few skeletons found a race of people does not make. The conjecture invovled is astounding aswhat is attributed to these supposed neanderthals cannot be deduced by looking at a small amount of dead bones.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Neanderthal baby is possible Reply with quote

Junior wrote:
madoka wrote:
far from being brutal and primitive, Neanderthals were intelligent beings..

12Ax7 wrote:

That is just mere speculation driven by evolutionists desperate to try and claim neanderthal as more separate than it is.

The fact is that humans and neanderthals are between 99.5% and 99.9% genetically identical. They are in fact, no different than any two humans of different races existing on the planet today.

Don't buy into the hype.

Ridiculous. The claims that humans and neanderthals interbred are based on specific genes, not the whole genome.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ridiculous. The claims that humans and neanderthals interbred are based on specific genes, not the whole genome.

No, what is ridiculous is buying into the idea that random development could create two distinct and different species that are compatible with each other.

Do you know how difficult it is to recover genetic material from samples well over 1,000 years old. It is very difficult for samples younger than 1,000 years old. With the supposed age of neanderthals obtaining usable DNA defy logic and reason
comm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
No, what is ridiculous is buying into the idea that random development could create two distinct and different species that are compatible with each other.

Speciation occurs when two similar organisms are no longer able to produce fertile offspring. Technically if Neanderthal is another species then Humans would not be able to produce fertile offspring with them. So if they are a different species then 12ax7 is right. However, blood lines that would lead to Neanderthals would be compatible with Humans until that speciation event.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in any case, I STILL WANT ONE.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Neanderthal baby is possible Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Neanderthals could create their own culture and political force in the world, says Harvard scientist George Church.

A Harvard scientist has said it would be possible to clone a Neanderthal baby from ancient DNA if he could find a woman willing to act as a surrogate.

The process would not be legal in many countries and would involve using DNA extracted from fossils.

George Church, a genetics professor of Harvard School of Medicine, said that the process was possible and that far from being brutal and primitive, Neanderthals were intelligent beings.

They are believed to be one of the relatives of modern man and became extinct 33,000 years ago. He added that altering the human genome could also provide the answers to curing diseases such as cancer and HIV, and hold the key to living to 120.

He told Der Spiegel, the German magazine: "I have already managed to attract enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the human species largely extinct. Now I need an adventurous female human."

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/i-can-create-neanderthal-baby-20130122-2d3u7.html#ixzz2IfUYcU85

-------------------------------------------------------

At first I when I read the title I was going to congradulate zackback on becoming a father, then I read on. Joke's on the researchers. Dave's has managed to create a Neanderthal culture for years now.

Not possible (at least, not at present): http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/why-we-cant-clone-a-neanderthal-or-any-ancient-organism/

From the link:

Human DNA, for example is arrayed on 23 pairs of chromosomes, and those chromosomes are unique bodies, each carrying their own subset of genes arrayed in a particular linear order. Chromosomes are complicated structures [. . .], for they contain not just DNA, but specific DNA-associated proteins (�histones�), a �centromere,� a special part of the chromosome which helps it move to a daughter cell when cells divide, and �telomeres,� repeated bits of DNA at the end of chromosomes that protect the chromosome from degrading.

To produce an organism, its genome must be sitting on chromosomes, and on the proper number of chromosomes. You can�t just take a whole genome and stick it into a recipient cell, expecting that cell to behave normally. The genome first has to be assembled in proper order�and that means the perfectly proper order (no room for error here), with all the bits in the right sequence. Then it has to be packaged into those chromosomes, for without chromosomes cells can�t divide properly and you can�t produce a whole organism from that single cloned cell. To get an organism from one cell, there has to be millions of cell divisions.

Not only do we lack the ability to assemble bits of DNA (what we have from Neanderthals) into a complete genome, but we are nowhere close to putting that DNA onto chromosomes in the proper order. Until we do that, we won�t be able to bring back any species from fossil DNA. I doubt that we�ll have this ability within the next 50 years, if that.

But the problems go beyond that. DNA degrades with age, and some types of degradation (like changes of one DNA �base� to another) cannot be detected by sequencing, but would still render the reconstructed clone inviable because those mutations would be lethal in the re-created organism. The genomes of many species, including ours, contain repeated elements dispersed throughout the genome. Much of this is �junk,� some of it may have unknown but essential functions, but all of it would cause problems trying to reconstruct an ancestral DNA sequence. We don�t know exactly how many of these things there are nor exactly where they all sit on the DNA. If you screw that up, you will likely not get a viable �egg.� Finally, trying to assemble bits of fossil DNA (or DNA �cloned� from those fossil sequences) is likely to cause copying errors, creating even more mutations that will make the �clone� inviable.

And, of course, for the Neanderthals we don�t have a complete DNA sequence in order, and there is controversy about how much is original, how much may be contaminated, and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: