Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School Bleeding Students: Plan B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonXkeller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: School Bleeding Students: Plan B Reply with quote

So, suppose your school has been losing students left and right. Nothing is certain. The end could be on the horizon, or it could be a mirage. If it's the former, I would like to have a contingency plan.

I can honestly say, I have a very amicable working environment. The owner, director, teachers, and other staff are all very good to us(my wife and I), even if they are a bit absent minded about keeping us informed. At any rate, the KTs seem a little spooked. So many people here have reported nasty experiences with hagwons. Mine has certainly not been that.

I think I'm just going to level with the owner. On a scale of 1-10, what are the chances that we're calling it quits before our contract ends? Maybe he won't give me a straight answer, but in my experience with him, I don't think it could hurt to ask. He won't think we're looking to jump ship. One thing is for sure...you won't be told anything if you don't inquire.

All that being said, I'm assuming from what I've read, that if the worst-case scenario should emerge, we'll need to transfer to a D-10 while we look for new positions. Are there any documents needed for the transfer from E-2 to D-10 back to E-2, that we could order ahead of time to have on hand?
Advice from anyone who's had a school close on them would be awesome.
Seoul_newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many months are left on your contract?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: School Bleeding Students: Plan B Reply with quote

jasonXkeller wrote:

All that being said, I'm assuming from what I've read, that if the worst-case scenario should emerge, we'll need to transfer to a D-10 while we look for new positions. Are there any documents needed for the transfer from E-2 to D-10 back to E-2, that we could order ahead of time to have on hand?

E2 to D10:

ARC
passport
LOR if your contract is not yet complete
application
fee
job search plan

D10 to E2:
ARC
passport
application
fee
new contract
new employer's guarantee (sponsorship form)
new employer's business registration (copy).

grandpa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: School Bleeding Students: Plan B Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
jasonXkeller wrote:

E2 to D10:

ARC
passport
LOR if your contract is not yet complete
application
fee
job search plan

D10 to E2:
ARC
passport
application
fee
new contract
new employer's guarantee (sponsorship form)
new employer's business registration (copy).

What does an appropriate "job search plan" consist of?
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm assuming from what I've read, that if the worst-case scenario should emerge, we'll need to transfer to a D-10 while we look for new positions

Why have both of you leave? Unless the location is terrible, I would have one person continue while the other does a transfer to a new school.

Personally, I would make an agreement with the school if they let one of you go and help with the transfer paperwork, then no severance or airfare would need to be paid. However, they need to give this to the other teacher who is staying. That's just my slant on it.

If you need a LOR for E2 to D 10, then can't you just use that LOR for a new school? The D10 would only help if you need months to look for a new school. Is the situation in Korea really that bad?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: School Bleeding Students: Plan B Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
What does an appropriate "job search plan" consist of?

How you plan to live, support yourself and look for work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: