Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

art hagwon's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: art hagwon's? Reply with quote

newbie here! currently in the process of trying to find a job in SK and I'm just wondering 2 things:

do arts-based hagwons exist?

how do i find said hagwons?

any advice is appreciated Smile
cheolsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know many people who teach or have taught things like art, math or science in English as it's very popular in hagwons and private elementary schools to cover content in English as well. I taught math, social studies and science when I worked at a private elementary school, while we had special native speakers who taught art and drama at that school, as well as others.

A situation like mine, teaching content in maybe a third of your courses, is not unheard of, especially if you find the right hagwon. Teaching art exclusively or almost exclusively, though, is much, much harder.
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks cheolsu! i'm ok with even being in a school that has an arts focus, even if i'm strictly teaching english. how to find these positions though....THAt is the question.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the above poster said, you can get a job at a private elementary school where you could possibly teach art but you need experience for these kinds of jobs. I don't think there are any jobs for foreigners at strictly art hagwons but if you work at an English hagwon there are probably a lot of opportunities for you to do art activities. If you stay here for a year in a normal entry level English teaching job, you could probably find something at a private elementary school like the above poster said, but I think it is very unlikely that you will find an art teacher position from your home country just starting out. They don't really exist for foreigners outside of private elementary schools, and even then it would be rare to be selected as just an art teacher. If you want to be an art teacher, you should try it out in your home country because foreign teachers here are just for English or in English immersion private elementary schools where the other subjects are mostly Reading, Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and Math.

Last edited by thebektionary on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: art hagwon's? Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:
newbie here! currently in the process of trying to find a job in SK and I'm just wondering 2 things:

do arts-based hagwons exist?

how do i find said hagwons?

any advice is appreciated Smile

Yes, they are called Kindergarten. Every recruiter in Korea will have 20 ads from Kindy's over the next 4 weeks.

If you want to teach fine arts in a regular school to work with older kids then you are looking in the wrong place and almost too late in the year (the next school year starts March 2 and you are unlikely to get processed in time for the new school year).

Get off the EFL boards and look for "Teaching" positions in the Arts.
You might want to consider places like Thailand where "Art" majors are often hired to teach their subject in English (and the pay is comparable to Korea - unlike EFL where the salaries start in the 30k thb range).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: