Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EPIK after breaking a contract, is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jojo26

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: EPIK after breaking a contract, is it possible? Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this answer exists somewhere, if it does, please let me know and point me to the answer. I could not find any reference to this specific question.

I worked in Korea on an E2 Visa for one of the major chain schools. The job was so so at best, and I wasn't thrilled with it, although I did enjoy my time in Korea and stayed about 8 months. I did a dry run at grad school applications in the US, and was accepted to a program with a fellowship. My choice was fairly easy. Said program wraps up this fall, and I would like to give Korea another stab, although this time with EPIK or a University. I gave my boss 45 days notice (my contract required 30) and left on decent, although not great terms, they withheld a bunch of money from my last cheque and I didn't have the stomach to chase them for it.

My question is this. On the EPIK application it asks me to list previous work experience in Korea and inquires as to whether I have broken any contracts. The recruiter said that anyone who had broken a contract would not be accepted. Is there any way, other than me telling them, that EPIK will know if I have broken a contract? It seems such information may exist with Korean immigration somewhere, but how would EPIK find out? I also have the option of applying on another passport, I'm a dual citizen, but would rather not, as this seems, well, shady.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. If you do not wish to post a reply feel free to PM me.
Otherside

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can argue that you didn't break the contract... rather you mutually agreed to end the contract early (and from what you said, on fairly amicable terms), I think you would be in with a shot. Your reasons are legit, you gave notice, and you have the higher degree to prove it.

Personally, I broke my first contract, had to pay a pretty hefty sum (recruiter costs, airfare, etc) in order to get a letter of release, and then moved directly to a public school. This was in 2008, when the competition was far less fierce.
Now, I just leave that first gig off my resume.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a letter of release from the previous employer then it is probably not an issue.

If you do not have a contractual release then you will probably be passed over in a tight/competitive job market since you are perceived as a risk and they have lots of other candidates to choose from.

Jojo26

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would EPIK know I broke my previous contract, without my explicitly telling them so?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jojo26 wrote:
Would EPIK know I broke my previous contract, without my explicitly telling them so?

When they check the immigration files for the issuance of your NOA your previous visa status (and early departure) will appear in your immigration file. Government programs have access to government data bases.

NQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Jojo26 wrote:

When they check the immigration files for the issuance of your NOA your previous visa status (and early departure) will appear in your immigration file. Government programs have access to government data bases.

Hang on...you're still 'breaking a contract' if you give proper notice? Will giving proper notice still deter you from getting another teaching type of job in Korea?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQ wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Jojo26 wrote:

Hang on...you're still 'breaking a contract' if you give proper notice? Will giving proper notice still deter you from getting another teaching type of job in Korea?

Contractual release (aka LOR) = probably not a problem. Didn't break the contract.

No proof of contractual release then they assume the lowest common denominator (you left / quit/ ran / got fired).

NQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
NQ wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Jojo26 wrote:

Contractual release (aka LOR) = probably not a problem. Didn't break the contract.

No proof of contractual release then they assume the lowest common denominator (you left / quit/ ran / got fired).

So if I quit by giving the proper amount of notice in a contract, it's not good? What if you had to quit because of some emergency back home?
NQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

I also want to know if leaving early affects receiving your pension as well.
PREEST

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need LOR.
cincynate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
o if I quit by giving the proper amount of notice in a contract, it's not good? What if you had to quit because of some emergency back home?

Doesn't matter how or why you quit. They have thousands upon thousands of applicants to sift through, with an ever shrinking number of positions to fill. They find out you left for ANY reason, they are going to pass you up for the next application. They don't have time to call every single person and ask questions like that.

Your best bet is to get a job at a hakwon for a year.. then everything will be forgotten. [/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: