Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man saves boy from dog mauling; faces prosecution for gun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Man saves boy from dog mauling; faces prosecution for gun Reply with quote

No good deed goes unpunished. . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/man-shot-pit-bull-save-boy-gun-charges_n_2551012.html?

A Good Samaritan who shot a pit bull that was mauling an 11-year-old boy in Washington, D.C., on Sunday could face gun charges, WJLA reports.

As the unidentified neighbor witnessed three pit bulls biting Jayeon Simon, who was on his bicycle, the man went to fetch his gun, the station reports.

He then shot one of the dogs dead, catching the attention of a police officer in the vicinity. The officer then shot the other two dogs as they continued to maul the boy, who was later hospitalized with severe lacerations.

Area police confirmed the man could be charged with violating gun laws, the Washington Post reports. Even if the gun were legally registered, firing it on a D.C. street is illegal, the paper noted.

However, attorney David Benowitz, a gun law expert, told the Post that making the case stick would be difficult because the attack seemed to happen near the shooter's property line.

The Washington Times also interviewed a defense attorney not involved in the case. Daniel Gross told the Times that if the U.S. attorney�s office were to take up the case, it's not always so understanding toward those who fire weapons to save others.

Gross added that the greatest bearing on the outcome will still likely be whether the gun user was the registered owner. (Lesser charges for unlicensed guns are prosecuted by the D.C. attorney general's office, but bigger charges could elevate the proceedings to the U.S. attorney's office, the Times noted.)

Whatever the outcome, other neighbors expressed outrage over the possibility the man could face punishment for a heroic deed, WJLA reports.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think that there'd be some room for Self Defence laws to overlap with Good Samaritan laws.

This guy should not get convicted looking at the above, IMO.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could face charges, that's all. The story strongly suggests that he won't.
madoka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're assuming the DC prosecutor is rational. He's shown that he's not.

Last year he prosecuted a vet only two weeks removed from the field for an ammo violation. The guy had some loose 9MM bullets in his duffle bag when he visited the VA hospital to turn in his medical records. He did not know or forgot that they were in his bag. No gun. Just a handful of bullets. But since they were unregistered bullets, he was handcuffed, arrested and jailed. He had to accept a plea deal from the prosecutor to get it down to a misdemeanor, take probation, and was put on the Gun Offender Registry List. That's how the prosecutor treated a veteran over a trivial offense that's legal in every other state in the nation.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
You're assuming the DC prosecutor is rational. He's shown that he's not.

Last year he prosecuted a vet only two weeks removed from the field for an ammo violation. The guy had some loose 9MM bullets in his duffle bag when he visited the VA hospital to turn in his medical records. He did not know or forgot that they were in his bag. No gun. Just a handful of bullets. But since they were unregistered bullets, he was handcuffed, arrested and jailed. He had to accept a plea deal from the prosecutor to get it down to a misdemeanor, take probation, and was put on the Gun Offender Registry List. That's how the prosecutor treated a veteran over a trivial offense that's legal in every other state in the nation.

The guy shouldn't have even had those in the first place. Ammo is a Class V supply in the Canadian and American military (i.e. you're not supposed to bring it home). Had he been caught while he was still in the military, he would have also been charged.
comm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
The guy shouldn't have even had those in the first place. Ammo is a Class V supply in the Canadian and American military (i.e. you're not supposed to bring it home). Had he been caught while he was still in the military, he would have also been charged.

Is there any reason to think the 9mm didn't belong to him?
It's not exactly the kind of thing you have to steal from your military base, since you can buy a box of 100 rounds for $10 at Wal Mart.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he did violate some law or another by firing this gun on a city street, given he acted to save the life of the child in question, jury nullification would probably be in order if he were actually prosecuted.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

It's not exactly the kind of thing you have to steal from your military base, since you can buy a box of 100 rounds for $10 at Wal Mart.

You need to read again what Madoka wrote.
comm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
comm wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Madoka didn't say if they were U.S. government bullets or not, which is why I'm wondering why you assume that they were. Perhaps you should read his post again.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
comm wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Madoka didn't say if they were U.S. government bullets or not, which is why I'm wondering why you assume that they were. Perhaps you should read his post again.

In his duffel bag, unregistered...Do you need him to spell out the headstamp codes?
comm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
In his duffel bag, unregistered...Do you need him to spell out the headstamp codes?

Perhaps we're working with different definitions of "unregistered" here. To my knowledge, 9mm ammunition from Wal-Mart would fall into the category of "unregistered" and could easily be stored in a duffel bag. Is there something I'm missing which indicates that isn't the case?
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:

Yup, the bullets were given to him by his father-in-law:

"A spokesman for the District�s Office of the Attorney General told me that they discovered 14 rounds of 9mm. In retrospect, he thinks the ammunition was thrown in the bag haphazardly after a recreational shoot. �I think the last time I went to the range to shoot, my father-in-law gave me some rounds. And I emptied a magazine and tossed them in the bag,� he said."

As you've discovered, 12ax7 is not the brightest bulb around these parts.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Perhaps we're working with different definitions of "unregistered" here. To my knowledge, 9mm ammunition from Wal-Mart would fall into the category of "unregistered" and could easily be stored in a duffel bag. Is there something I'm missing which indicates that isn't the case?

I did a bit of research and, strangely enough, in DC it's illegal to own ammunition for a gun you don't have registered in your name...But, in the case he referred to, the veteran apparently did own a 9mm handgun and it appears it was is own ammunition, although it's unclear to me if the gun was properly registered in his name (the article is very vague). Needless to say, it's a strange case.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jul/1/miller-dc-arrests-vet-arrested-unregistered-ammuni/

PS. Read the article with a grain of salt, though. This publication has a strong conservative bias. It's owned by the Unification Church (the Moonies), which also owns a small arms manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahr_Arms
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
comm wrote:

Yup, the bullets were given to him by his father-in-law:

"A spokesman for the District�s Office of the Attorney General told me that they discovered 14 rounds of 9mm. In retrospect, he thinks the ammunition was thrown in the bag haphazardly after a recreational shoot. �I think the last time I went to the range to shoot, my father-in-law gave me some rounds. And I emptied a magazine and tossed them in the bag,� he said."

As you've discovered, 12ax7 is not the brightest bulb around these parts.

And yet I'm bright enough to figure out why you conveniently forgot to provide a link with the story as you originally posted it and to the above quote.
comm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
I did a bit of research and, strangely enough, in DC it's illegal to own ammunition for a gun you don't have registered in your name...But, in the case he referred to, the veteran apparently did own a 9mm handgun and it appears it was is own ammunition, although it's unclear to me if the gun was properly registered in his name (the article is very vague). Needless to say, it's a strange case.

Of course, it's not strange in the "odd circumstances" way... it's strange in the "they are persecuting a combat veteran for owning small-caliber bullets he bought at Wal-Mart" way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: