Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyjones1989

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Visa question Reply with quote

In December my was finished, but I renewed with the school for 3 more months since one of our teachers had to leave immediately. They renewed my visa for three months, however, on my ARC card it says it expires in December 2013.

I'm going home in March and then in April I'm doing a CELTA course and then I will be back here in late May.

Now my question:
Should I cancel my visa and get my pension now, but risk not being able to come back until August when most schools hire.

or

Should I keep my visa just leave for the three months and then come back? Is that possible? It's the choice I prefer, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Thanks for the help/advice.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa question Reply with quote

skyjones1989 wrote:
In December my was finished, but I renewed with the school for 3 more months since one of our teachers had to leave immediately. They renewed my visa for three months, however, on my ARC card it says it expires in December 2013.

I'm going home in March and then in April I'm doing a CELTA course and then I will be back here in late May.

Now my question:
Should I cancel my visa and get my pension now, but risk not being able to come back until August when most schools hire.

or

Should I keep my visa just leave for the three months and then come back? Is that possible? It's the choice I prefer, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Thanks for the help/advice.

You may have thought 3 months but I will wager that the contract used for the extension application was for 12 months (hence the Dec expiry on your ARC).

End your job, get a LOR and switch to a D10. It will allow you 90 days out of the country and 6 months in which to find a job and transfer back to an E2 without needing new documents.

The other option is depart, turn in your ARC to cancel your visa and order new documents. Get a new visa when you start the new job. Since you are leaving early, GET a LOR or you may face complications later.

skyjones1989

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! This is the first time I've heard about the possibility of switching.

Just to be clear, I need my letter of release to switch to a D10? And let's say I come back to Korea in May with a D10 and once I get a job (because I'd really prefer to do interviews in person and see the school) I can easily switch it back to an E2?

Last edited by skyjones1989 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyjones1989 wrote:
Thank you so much! This is the first time I've heard about the possibility of switching.

Just to be clear, I need my letter of release to switch to a D10? And let's say I come back to Korea in May with a D10 and once I get a job (because I'd really prefer to do interviews in person and see the school) I can easily switch it back to an E2?

Yes...

caveat... more than 90 days (not 3 months) out of the country and you need new documents. Watch the calendar.

skyjones1989

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you again.

one last question:
Just from looking I see it takes about a month to switch to a D10 visa. After my contract ends I'll only be in Korea about two weeks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyjones1989 wrote:
thank you again.

one last question:
Just from looking I see it takes about a month to switch to a D10 visa. After my contract ends I'll only be in Korea about two weeks.

Takes a couple of weeks to get the new ARC.
You can get a "certificate of alien registration" for use in the meantime (takes about 20 minutes).

skyjones1989

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your help! I called imigration. And I'll apply after I finish my contract. Hopefully I'll get accepted. Very Happy
skyjones1989

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing.

After my contract finishes I'll be moving in with a friend. However, immigration said if I move I have to show proof of residency, but where I'm moving isn't going to be in my name. I'm not really sure what to do about that.
skyjones1989

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, do I need a certain amount of money in my Korean bank account? Is it 6 months from when I apply or 6 months from when I get my card?
deizio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been wondering this for a while, in the notes I've seen the granting of a D-10 has certain conditions attached (e.g. ranking of university graduated from, worked for top-ranked firm) but the general line in this kind of thread suggests they are basically available upon request, at least to someone who meets the basic criteria for ESL.

Is there any hard / anecdotal evidence about a D-10 being declined for failure to meet the criteria? Is it handled differently for those already in-country?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyjones1989 wrote:
Also, do I need a certain amount of money in my Korean bank account? Is it 6 months from when I apply or 6 months from when I get my card?

6 months from application and change of status is granted. The ARC usually follows by a couple of weeks.

deizio wrote:
Been wondering this for a while, in the notes I've seen the granting of a D-10 has certain conditions attached (e.g. ranking of university graduated from, worked for top-ranked firm) but the general line in this kind of thread suggests they are basically available upon request, at least to someone who meets the basic criteria for ESL.

Is there any hard / anecdotal evidence about a D-10 being declined for failure to meet the criteria? Is it handled differently for those already in-country?

those requirements are for D10 applicants who are NOT already legal residents of Korea. It has been extended for use as a bridge visa between jobs for E1/E2/E7 visa class holders.

skyjones1989

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the proof of where I'm living?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: