Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a driver's license in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Mulder2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Getting a driver's license in Korea Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I was wondering what the current situation is for a foreigner trying to get a driver's license in Korea? I know getting a motorcycle license is a relatively simple process, but has anyone here successfully or unsuccessfully tried to get a proper driver's license in Korea? I'm talking about a first license, not just getting your back-home license changed to a Korean one. How long does it take? Thanks for the helpful comments!
M.
kinship

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been discussed many times before. The process is not hard, the test is supposedly easy and it is not expensive. Just study and take your test at the testing sight.
Mr.Mulder2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. I remember seeing it discussed a while back, I was looking for feedback on the current situation, given the 'dynamic' nature of a lot of Korean laws.
So has anyone gotten theirs lately? And is there one city that's better than others to do it? I ask because I've heard for instance that the motorcycle license test on Jeju is super strict and hard to pass(put a toe down and you fail), whereas on Geoje they hand them out to people that dump their bikes.
So yeah, I'm basically looking to get my license as quickly and as easily as possible, haha.
One more license-related question: Does it take a special license to drive one of those Starex vans, or would a normal car license cover it?
M.
giraffe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Mulder2 wrote:
Cool, thanks. I remember seeing it discussed a while back, I was looking for feedback on the current situation, given the 'dynamic' nature of a lot of Korean laws.
So has anyone gotten theirs lately? And is there one city that's better than others to do it? I ask because I've heard for instance that the motorcycle license test on Jeju is super strict and hard to pass(put a toe down and you fail), whereas on Geoje they hand them out to people that dump their bikes.
So yeah, I'm basically looking to get my license as quickly and as easily as possible, haha.
One more license-related question: Does it take a special license to drive one of those Starex vans, or would a normal car license cover it?
M.

Theres a really recent Thread about this where I talk about my experience and theres been a few other threads posted about since December...

If you already have your license from back home You just need to trade it in for a korea one. By going to your embassy and then going to the korean driving place and take a physical test..

If you dont have a license from back home you need to get one from scratch...
It all comes down to Understanding how the test work and IF you already know/ have alot og experience driving... If you already have alot of experience driving then ... To Get a full korean drivers license will take you 1-3 days MAX...

YOU have to pick if you want to drive manual or Automatic. If you pick automatic you will NOT be aloud to drive manual cars... you need to do your tests on a manual car if you want the manual license... Then you watch a 1 hour safety vid ( english subtitles). After that you take a 20 second eye exam. Then you Take a 40 question theory test on the computer ( in english) You need to score at least 65% i think to pass.

Once you pass the written test you take a Car Controls / closed course test. Basically you just read what the GPS screen tells you to do. IT will ask you to turn on on car , turn on lights ( high and lows), blinkers, wipers , change gears. Then asks you to drive straight for 50 feet. OUt of no where an alarm will go off and you need to stop the car and put on the 4 way warning light within 2-3 seconds. THen you go to the finish line. YOu need 80% to pass this test ( you cant screw up on more than 3 or 4 things). Sounds easy, but you could easily fail everything if you dont follow EXACTLY what they tell you on the screen. And you need to wait until the timer starts before doing what they ask you to do. If you dont you'll fail and you will have to come back an other day to redo it.

Doing The safety vid. physical test, computer test and control test will Probably fill up one day. Because there's only specific times you can take those.

Next you sign up for the final Road test. DUring the Road test you follow the English voice computer GPS that tells you what to do. its 100% clear and easy. Just follow the road rules and dont do anything stupid. Takes about 15-20 minutes to do. YOu will have to do a parallel parking. You need 70% to pass. One note... YOU NEED TO PUT THE CAR ( YES EVEN YOUR AUTOMATIC transmission CAR) IN NEUTRAL AT EVERY SINGLE RED LIGHT OR ANYWHERE YOU WILL BE STOPPED FOR MORE THAN 5 SECOND. if you dont You will lose 3 points every time you forget...

Once you pass this test YOu will get a full license.... Total time will be 1-3 days and total price 45,000 won..

If you dont know how to drive. You need to go to a Driving hagwon and get yourself some lessons.... that will cost up to 500k won and Will take 3-4 weeks + ...
Mr.Mulder2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey giraffe, a million thanks for the useful info! I owe you a Pocari Sweat.
M.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im also very grateful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: