Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustrated - No Jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautilus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

Please don't tell others to upgrade their credentials IN EFL. You'll just kidding yourself. Upgrade in other field if you have the time and money, please.

Exactly.

If you must study again, study engineering or something useful. An MA in efl is a waste of time as far as I can see.

Metafix wrote:
Horrible. I've been here since 09'. Definitely the worst I've seen since I've arriving. Almost all of the jobs are 9-6/9-7 kindie/elementary. Lots of students have dropped due to the new gov't initiative and lots of schools have been closing.

Yeah we're basically in the endgame now I think. The public school gigs have mostly gone and now the kindies are vanishing. All thats left are a few Uni gigs and a hogwons, both with rapidly worsening conditions.
And you don't even stand a chance of those unless you have contacts.

WorldTraveller wrote:
The market has changed drastically in the last few months.

Actually it was in September 2009 that the number of applicants exceeded the number of vacancies for the first time in the history of Korean esl .

Since then its just continued to get worse.
FastForward

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this new gov't initiative I keep hearing about? Seems like the jobs in Busan have been dramatically reduced, but what is the government doing that is making that happen?
Firearcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: The facts Reply with quote

My intention is that this was to be my final year in Asia teaching and I wanted to return home in early 2014 so upgrading my credentials does not really make sense as by the time I did....I'd be ready to head home. And that still does not garner a job today. I mentioned "full head of hair" because the reality is, like it or not, that looks DO mean a lot in Korea. Overweight, how you dress, age, gender, sexual orientation, how much hair you have, how ugly or sexy you are, your height all factor in and have as much to do with a person getting the job as does your experience and credentials.

Its my last year here so I'm not fussy. I'll take a lower salary and work in a hawgwon and be happy. So far its just not happening. I am considering China. have not quite given up here yet but I am close.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastForward wrote:
What is this new gov't initiative I keep hearing about? Seems like the jobs in Busan have been dramatically reduced, but what is the government doing that is making that happen?

New prezie's budget for child raising allowance didn't include money for English, that what. Less money for parents to spend on English, hence the business outlook is BAAAAAAD.
FastForward

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
FastForward wrote:

New prezie's budget for child raising allowance didn't include money for English, that what. Less money for parents to spend on English, hence the business outlook is BAAAAAAD.

That sounds pretty bad. Hopefully that won't hit the ESL market in Korea too bad.
drydell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
FastForward wrote:

Could you link to what you're referring to? I've been away and may have missed the story..

It was just last year that the govt here introduced free child-care from 0-5yrs for everybody in the country - freeing up a massive chunk of change for parents that can actually now go towards English education -if they so wanted to - so I don't quite get your point here...
qwunk89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A co-worker of mine was having a similar experience, but near the end of the week he received several interviews and offers. A few sounded decent. I think schools might be starting to scramble since it's Feb.
creeper1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

Firearcher wrote:
I am frustrated beyond belief. I have many years' experience in Korea

And yet this is your last year? Rolling Eyes

Heard that one before.

If that's the case just go now. 2014 and 2013 aren't that different. Why does your plan require you work another year.

Anyway this thread is absolutely absurd.

There is no way a normal waygook wouldn't be getting multiple job offers.

I think you are being too picky.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how would you know, creeper1? You don't even live in Korea. (So how would you know what the job market's like here?) You sound like PatrickGHBusan.
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastForward wrote:

They are spending their budgets on other things like school lunches and buildings.
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwunk89 wrote:
A co-worker of mine was having a similar experience, but near the end of the week he received several interviews and offers. A few sounded decent. I think schools might be starting to scramble since it's Feb.

What I've heard is that many of those who came to Korea to teach in public schools in 2009-10 are now moving to hagwons. Yeah, it's a foolish move but they assume that private schools will honor contracts. They'll learn the hard way. In a few weeks, probably after the Lunar New Year holiday, there will be some openings in public schools. Grab them while you can.
creeper1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
But how would you know, creeper1? You don't even live in Korea. (So how would you know what the job market's like here?) You sound like PatrickGHBusan.

Good question.

I keep in touch with TEFLers in Korea through facebook.

One "friend" who is into Seoul was job searching there.

He got multiple offers after a short time of looking.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friend has the F visa?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drydell wrote:

Could you link to what you're referring to? I've been away and may have missed the story..

It was just last year that the govt here introduced free child-care from 0-5yrs for everybody in the country - freeing up a massive chunk of change for parents that can actually now go towards English education -if they so wanted to - so I don't quite get your point here...

I read it on a Korean broadsheet whilst waiting for my dental appointment. Sorry, I can't remember the printer nor the date. It was about 7th or 8th item about the new budget after the story about giving higher priority to taxies over buses, blah, blah, blah,... Suggests that it wasn't that important as far as Korean parents were concerned.
PREEST

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is exactly that. That you have perhaps 'too much' experience in Korea. You know the system too well, so you are not so easy to take advantage of and/or manipulate. I think there's validity in the idea that a lot of schools want newbies so that they will work hard trying to make a good impression, and will eat up all the bullshit that the Korean bosses feed them.

Either that or you are lying about having a full head of hair Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: