Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expat travel insurance for Canadians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjois

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Expat travel insurance for Canadians Reply with quote

So, after three years here, I'm heading out for 8 months on the road before going home. I'm trying to figure out the best plan for travel insurance. World Nomads won't cover Saskatchewan residents, which leaves that out. I've seen multiple (more expensive) expat plans, but was wondering if anybody else had dealt with this and might have some good suggestions.

Also, where AM I a resident of, for those intermediate months? The world?
newinseoul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use World Nomads as I'm from Ontario. I had no idea that there was no coverage for certain Canadians.

I have heard good things about Bridges International. The coverage is aimed for expats working outside of Canada. Hope it helps.

http://www.biis.ca/global-expatriate-insurance/tic.php

And you wouldn't be a resident of anywhere if you have no visa. Are you still deemed a resident of Canada? As for me, I am a non-resident for tax purposes, but still am a Canadian with some ties there.
banjois

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, here's the thing. My dad got a renewal sticker for my health card about a year ago. I had assumed it had lapsed. Now, as far as the CRA is concerned, I want to be a non-resident. But, I'd sure like med coverage as soon as I get home, rather than wait. The health insurance website says that returning citizens are covered immediately. But, when my dad called, they told him I'd have to sign something saying I wouldn't leave for 6 months (which I don't intend to do), and that THEY WOULDN'T LET ME LEAVE THE PROVINCE. Which is laughable. I'm thinking I may just apply for a lost card as soon as I get there....

Anyways, I'll check out that link, thanks!
newinseoul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjois,
You are supposed to let the health card people know if you are leaving the country so they can put a hold on your health card. Once you get back, you just tell them and they reinstate it.

I renewed my health card last year when I was in Canada, but I didn't tell them when I left this time.

For non-residency for tax purposes you have to fill out a form and thent hey let you know if you are deemed a non-resident or not depending on how many ties you have in Canada. Let me know if you need to know where to locate that form.
banjois

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, newinseoul. Apparently in Saskatchewan, you can only do that for up to two years. After that, you're a returning citizen, which according to their website, means instant coverage. And I'll be leaving westwards via Alberta and BC, anyways, so I think I'll manage to slip by the health insurance brigade.

I've heard different things about the non-resident thing. My only tie to Canada is a bank account, so I'm thinking I'll just file returns once I'm there and see how it all pans out. I've seen the form, but gotten advice that you're better to just file once you're back...
newinseoul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled mine out when I returned from Korea and I was exempted from paying tax for three years. I then filled it out before I went to Korea again the fourth year and I was also exempted from paying tax. I had three or four ties (bank account, health card, driver's licence). You should also be a non-resident if you only have a bank account in Canada.

Hope it works out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: