Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing to a New School in-Country

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oogley



Joined: 25 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Changing to a New School in-Country Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere.

I'm working for a hagwon at the moment but hope to get a university job in the fall. (I have all the qualifications so that's not an issue.)

My question is what is the process like in terms of your visa when you quit working at one school and begin working at another? Do you have to go out of the country, like do a visa run to Japan or someplace? Do the schools sort it out between themselves or do I have to go to immigration or what?

Thanks for your help!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PREEST



Joined: 20 Jan 2013

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to quit before your contract ends? Or change jobs after your contract is expired?

If you quit before your contract is up, you have to get a letter of release from your current school.
If you are simply finishing up contract and want to change, then the new school can extend your visa for you and you don't have to reapply for criminal checks etc again.

If you plan on going home and coming back then you will only have to reapply for your documents for your visa if you are outside of Korea for more than 90 days. If you return within the 90 period, you don't need to reapply.

Hope this helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newinseoul



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Location: Busan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PREEST wrote:
Are you going to quit before your contract ends? Or change jobs after your contract is expired?

If you quit before your contract is up, you have to get a letter of release from your current school.
If you are simply finishing up contract and want to change, then the new school can extend your visa for you and you don't have to reapply for criminal checks etc again.

If you plan on going home and coming back then you will only have to reapply for your documents for your visa if you are outside of Korea for more than 90 days. If you return within the 90 period, you don't need to reapply.

Hope this helps.


This is good information. I was also wondering the same thing. I have more questions if you wouldn't mind helping out.

Are these new rules about having that 90 day period even if you leave the country? Do I need to switch to another type of visa if I leave and come back within 90 days to be able to come back without having to resubmit my documents?

My contract ends end of August. If I go back home and then decide to get a job in a month or two with another school board of hakwon will I have to resubmit all my documents again? Any information would be helpful.

Also if I get a letter from my employer before my contract ends and find a job before my contract ends, will my new employer extend my visa for another year?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ibeattheborg



Joined: 17 Dec 2010
Location: the deep blue sea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newinseoul wrote:



Are these new rules about having that 90 day period even if you leave the country? Do I need to switch to another type of visa if I leave and come back within 90 days to be able to come back without having to resubmit my documents?


I think you are referring to the D10 visa. This allows you to leave Korea for up to 90 days without the need for any new documents when you return and find a new job. Get a D10 when you finish in August, go home and return within 90 days.

If you leave your school before the contract finishes you could also get a D10 but only if you also have the LOR from the school. The Letter of Release, if it's even possible will come at a price, the loss of severance and airfare home and maybe more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newinseoul



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Location: Busan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibeattheborg wrote:
newinseoul wrote:



Are these new rules about having that 90 day period even if you leave the country? Do I need to switch to another type of visa if I leave and come back within 90 days to be able to come back without having to resubmit my documents?


I think you are referring to the D10 visa. This allows you to leave Korea for up to 90 days without the need for any new documents when you return and find a new job. Get a D10 when you finish in August, go home and return within 90 days.

If you leave your school before the contract finishes you could also get a D10 but only if you also have the LOR from the school. The Letter of Release, if it's even possible will come at a price, the loss of severance and airfare home and maybe more.


I guess it must be the D10 visa. Do you know how I would go about getting this visa and what are the requirements if any? Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newinseoul



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Location: Busan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just answered my own question if anyone else is interested in the answer.

http://www.koreanconsulate.on.ca/en/?b_id=77&c_id=724&mnu=a02b03&start=1

Has anyone used this visa and found a job within three months?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International