Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparing Public Schools in Seou/Gyeonggi to other provinces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer teaching students in Gepik or Epik schools
I prefer Epik Middle
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Epik High School
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Epik Elementary
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GEPIK High School
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GEPIK Middle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GEPIK Elementary
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Private Public Schools in Seoul
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Private Public Schools in Gyeonggi
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

katsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Comparing Public Schools in Seou/Gyeonggi to other provinces Reply with quote

Have you worked in Public Schools in more than one province?

I don't mean GEPIK, or SMOE vs EPIK, but the differences you noticed in student attitudes.

I'm interested to know about Public Middle Schools and Public High Schools in Seoul or Gyeonggi, and how teaching students in those schools differs from teaching the same levels in other provinces outside of Gyeonggi.

If you have taught at 2 public schools in different provinces, can you make any generalizations about the attitudes of students? Their levels of English, etc?

I am quite interested how the rest of Korea (middle, high school) compares to Gyeonggi.

Thanks for your feedback!
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work in one of the provinces all at middle schools. Generally there a a hand-full of larger schools in the main core of a city, then a lot of really small schools in the rural areas.

Large being in the range of 700-1500 students. And small being in the range of 50-200 students.

Things to note when working in the provinces, the schools in the really rural small school take in a lot of the rejected student from the main core of the city (mostly high school level). So many of those village schools will have students with lousy attitudes. Although you'd be surprised by some students English levels in those villages. There is really no pressure on them to study and more willing to experiment with actual speaking.
katsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer--you mean to say you worked at a middle school in one of the provinces? Can I ask which province? was it in the city or rural?

You also seem to know about high schools, have u worked at one as well?
Tyshine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for Gyeonggi or Seoul, but I am at an all boy's HS in a major city. The level isn't too high, but the students are relatively well behaved, although they can get loud. I've got some students who can string together a few sentences, and some who can barely answer what is your name. Their reading comprehension is better than their speaking ability.

My school isn't in a rich area so I would say its mid tier. From what I have heard maybe 1 out of every 450-500 students (about how many graduate each year) goes to Seoul National University whereas schools in the nicer area of town have about 10 to 20 per graduating class.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in one of the Gyeongsang provinces. Largest city I've been in had about 500,000 smallest about 50,000.

My High School experience is very limited (once a week), mostly Middle School. But the High School was very rural, a grand total of about 90 students in the whole school. Most students in rural high schools will be from the village that the school serves. But some rural high schools also take on students from outside the village, mostly from the same city's main center. However, most students living in the cities main urbanized core would not go to a normal rural high school by choice. So either their grades were really really really really low, have some kind of issue, or they were kicked out of their previous school.

Also, seems like a lot of parents hide their 'handicapped' kids in rural schools too. And often a lot of the kids from rural area have never seen one, or both, of their parents and living with some relative.

However, most students are good, but the few bad ones can just ruin a good day for you. Also, all the student know which high schools are considered good and bad in their area and how they're ranked academically. And a lot of bright students may go to a lower ranked academic schools in order to look better on their university applications.

Also, there are some really good high schools in very strange and rural locations that take in the top students from other parts of the country. But there are only a handful of them in each province.

As for middle schools, bad students do get moved around (depends on how much of a stickler your principal is), but mostly you get a good representation of the local area in middle schools. But saying that boys are tough to control, especially if your school has way more women than men teachers.
katsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyshine. So you are enjoying your teaching at all boys HS? Do you have a textbook you teach from or create all your materials yourself?

Do you think your students are generally more motivated to learn from you, than in their other classes? I heard that a lot of HS just sleep during classes. But the teachers don't really do much about it. Have you noticed that?
katsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer, so you work at two schools, once a week at the HS and 4 times a week at the Middle School.

So since your HS is so small, and the students aren't too bright, or have bad atttitudes...are their any incentives for them too learn? I've also heard that teachers don't fail the students in their English Classes?

Are you teaching at an all Boys HS and all Boys Middle School?

Also, are you saying your Middle schoolers are easier going and more eager to learn?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katsu wrote:
So since your HS is so small, and the students aren't too bright, or have bad atttitudes...are their any incentives for them too learn? I've also heard that teachers don't fail the students in their English Classes?

It's rare a student will be failed or held back. Although not completely unheard of, but students do drop out.

There is very little incentive to learn from the native teacher, but that's standard with all the programs. It's probably the same as in Gyeonggi, always a few that want to listen to you, but just to timid tell the trouble makers the shut their mouths. It's the time when you're not teaching I find just as or even more valuable.

katsu wrote:
Are you teaching at an all Boys HS and all Boys Middle School?

Currently all boys. For sure prefer all girls middle over all else.

katsu wrote:
Also, are you saying your Middle schoolers are easier going and more eager to learn?

The first few months for the new middle schoolers are probably the best to teach them. They are excited, and still intimidated by the older students, you can really get them talking. But you have to be really really strict with boys. Again your ct and other teachers will determine the overall atmosphere in the school. I find boys public schools less respectful than private boys schools. Mostly because in the public system the female-male ratio is heavily in the female's favor. And women are often either too soft, or get upset too easily by standard boys' humor (which is pretty gross worldwide).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: