Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA Tesol vs MAAL vs online degrees etc. Help me PLEASE :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King James

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't even live in the United States Very Happy I live in Canada but I am an American citizen as well.

How do you know who the big names are in SLA? Is it just from your experience with research in the field? I'm wondering because there are a few MA Applied linguistics programs in Canada (which recommend an english undergrad or a B.Ed) that I'd like to look into as well. Carlton offers this as well as Brock and York (which I probably would not receive as great of an education there compared to MSU). But there is also an MA in TESL in Toronto which appears pretty good.

Since MSU is still 1.5 hours away, I wouldn't be able to commute, and the price to go there would likely be pretty crazy compared to the Canadian schools.

I guess I am just weighing my options, but I did some a little research on Susan Gass and she has done a lot of work in the area. That looks very promising.

If you guys have any more advice for me, please let me know Smile

BTW, I haven't taken the GRE, and I didn't see it as a requirement for MSU (which is kind of odd). I'll be contacting them again soon to ask some questions, but if anyone has any more advice,, feel free to input.

Another option I have
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King James wrote:
Actually I don't even live in the United States Very Happy I live in Canada but I am an American citizen as well.

How do you know who the big names are in SLA? Is it just from your experience with research in the field? I'm wondering because there are a few MA Applied linguistics programs in Canada (which recommend an english undergrad or a B.Ed) that I'd like to look into as well. Carlton offers this as well as Brock and York (which I probably would not receive as great of an education there compared to MSU). But there is also an MA in TESL in Toronto which appears pretty good.

Since MSU is still 1.5 hours away, I wouldn't be able to commute, and the price to go there would likely be pretty crazy compared to the Canadian schools.

I guess I am just weighing my options, but I did some a little research on Susan Gass and she has done a lot of work in the area. That looks very promising.

If you guys have any more advice for me, please let me know Smile

BTW, I haven't taken the GRE, and I didn't see it as a requirement for MSU (which is kind of odd). I'll be contacting them again soon to ask some questions, but if anyone has any more advice,, feel free to input.

Another option I have

The GRE is #4 on the list of admissions requirements for MSU's TESOL MA program: http://linglang.msu.edu/tesol/admissions/

I'm currently doing a postgraduate diploma in SLA, after which I'm also planning on doing an MA in linguistics, so that's why I'm familiar w/ Gass and SLA generally (she co-authored one of the textbooks I'm using for my course).

I'd say do your MA in Canada, since the tuition will be much, much cheaper there than if you did your MA across the border (at least for citizens and, I'm guessing, permanent residents as well). Here's a link to a listing of Canadian universities w/ linguistics programs: http://linguistlist.org/teach/programs/browse-prog2.cfm?CountryID=40

As long as the university is in an English speaking country and is accredited in that country, to most employers in the TEFL industry it really doesn't matter where your MA is from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: