Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best way to access a Western bank account?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: What is the best way to access a Western bank account? Reply with quote

What is the best way to access a Western bank account from within Korea?
Go to a machine? (Where can I find such a machine?) Go to the domestic bank of which I am a member? What is the cheapest and/or most painless way to get won into my hands? (My Korean bank is Hana 하나은행 and my American bank is Citizens Bank if that matters.)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to access a Western bank account? Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
What is the best way to access a Western bank account from within Korea?
Go to a machine? (Where can I find such a machine?) Go to the domestic bank of which I am a member? What is the cheapest and/or most painless way to get won into my hands? (My Korean bank is Hana 하나은행 and my American bank is Citizens Bank if that matters.)

ATMs in convenience stores or the subway usually have international network connections. Look for the symbols that are on the back of your card.

MOST ATM machines in most banks are NOT hooked up to international networks so they only work with Korean ATM cards.

Some banks (KEB being notable) have international ATM machines in them (usually only 1) and they are marked with the symbols of the networks they can access.

There is no cheap way but it isn't that expensive either. Withdraw the largest amount you can at each transaction so the transaction fees don't cost you more than the money you take out.

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked lately. But for some reasons, Canadian debit cards don't seem to work over here. Only credit cards do. Americans and even some South Africans were able to check their accounts via these global ATM's. Global ATM's here never seemed to like my RBC or TD Bank cards.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't check my accounts (had to do that on-line) but I could get money.

Just watch for the network symbols..

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get money either. But I mostly check online after doing a wire transfer from here. (Still paying student loans and such.)
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
I haven't checked lately. But for some reasons, Canadian debit cards don't seem to work over here. Only credit cards do. Americans and even some South Africans were able to check their accounts via these global ATM's. Global ATM's here never seemed to like my RBC or TD Bank cards.

Try again with your debit card, but indicate that you're doing a credit card advance instead of a withdrawal from your savings or checking account. That usually works.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transfer my entire paycheck to my US account each month because it saves me money. I have to pay loans from that account so its just easier to transfer it all.

I never have any problem accessing money. Don't use the ATM"s at the subway or 7/11 as they charge you like 3-4 bucks. Most banks have at least one ATM with a visa sticker and they do not charge you anything for using them. STandard charter, Shinhan, KB, etc they all have visa.

I also just use my card for purchases most of the time and have a little bit of cash on me for smaller purches (under 5,000) cause I know it sucks for the business to use your card for 1,000 won.

Also my US bank is Firstrepublic, they charge zero dollars for overseas purches and ATM, and if the ATM charges me (like the 7/11 ones) the bank refunds that charge. Pretty sweet deal (only sucks cause the exchange rate is always changing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: