Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever been rejected due to liver health?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeVig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Anyone ever been rejected due to liver health? Reply with quote

First time caller...long time listener:

A bit about me...30...been a functional alcoholic for a number of years. Doc told me last year that my health is good but I got a big liver going. Close to a job here...wondering if being deported is likely.

Has anyone heard of somebody being rejected after the physical due to alcoholic liver damage?

I am well aware of the drinking culture in Korea...just feel that I am beyond the arc here.

Much thanks.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "Big Liver?" Does it show up on your blood test? If not, I wouldn't worry.

PS: If you were an alcoholic, don't come to Korean. You're turn into an alcoholic again.
diver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever been rejected due to liver health? Reply with quote

LeVig wrote:
First time caller...long time listener:

A bit about me...30...been a functional alcoholic for a number of years. Doc told me last year that my health is good but I got a big liver going. Close to a job here...wondering if being deported is likely.

Has anyone heard of somebody being rejected after the physical due to alcoholic liver damage?

I am well aware of the drinking culture in Korea...just feel that I am beyond the arc here.

Much thanks.

They might give you automatic citizenship Smile

I have never heard of it, and I wouldn't think you have much to worry about.
comm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
What do you mean by "Big Liver?" Does it show up on your blood test? If not, I wouldn't worry.

Right. The blood and urine test would be the extent of the physical (regarding your issue anyway).

In all seriousness, Korea's drinking culture may be difficult for you. The word "alcoholism" doesn't seem to exist here.
LeVig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: I'm not joking here... Reply with quote

Again, I am familiar with Korean drinking culture. I know that a lot of soju is consumed.

By the way, an enlarged liver is also known as hepatitis...Yes it showed up on the blood test.

I am looking for any serious responses on this topic. Has anyone either been deported or known anyone to be deported because of liver sample???

There is that pesky little question on the health statement about alcoholism/drug addiction.

I am a gambling man...I'd just like to know some odds before I shell out for a round trip ticket.
diver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: I'm not joking here... Reply with quote

LeVig wrote:
Again, I am familiar with Korean drinking culture. I know that a lot of soju is consumed.

By the way, an enlarged liver is also known as hepatitis...Yes it showed up on the blood test.

I am looking for any serious responses on this topic. Has anyone either been deported or known anyone to be deported because of liver sample???

There is that pesky little question on the health statement about alcoholism/drug addiction.

I am a gambling man...I'd just like to know some odds before I shell out for a round trip ticket.

From ttompatz (who knows his stuff).
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=180242

It seems that it is the hep that is an issue, not necessarily an enlarged liver. Good luck.

Last edited by diver on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: I'm not joking here... Reply with quote

LeVig wrote:

Is it contagious?
LeVig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis
diver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it's not contagious, you might be okay. However, they might just see "hepatitis" and not look any further.

Your best bet is to wait and see if ttompatz weighs in on this thread.
LeVig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much like to talk to this ttompatz character...
diver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeVig wrote:
I would very much like to talk to this ttompatz character...

This post suggest that only certain types of hepatitis are tested for:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=109149
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Alcoholic hepatitis, unlike the other forms of hepatitis, is not viral, so it is not contagious. It can't be transmitted from person to person trough blood or blood products."
http://www.hephelp.net/alcoholic-hepatitis/transmission/

I wonder if the blood test can distinguish between hepatitis caused by a virus and hepatitis caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.internationalclinic.co.kr/MT/MT_1_01.asp#

Click on blood test..
mike in brasil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can't see at this point is that a fatty liver isn't so much an immigration issue as it might be with your prospective employer. Immi might tell you to see a doctor and that's about it, but when it hits the wires at work, all the sudden you might be branded as an alky. (worse cuz alcoholism is not a korean problem)

Given that nobody on this board so far thinks it's a problem is an indication that all is good so far for you.

Once you're here you'll find out if it's an issue for the future employer. If they like you, then fine. If they don't, then it could be ammo against you.

Beyond that, as there is no alcoholism in Korea, then meet your little friend. At $1/bottle it's hard not find something good to say about soju.....

Once you find a gf (or bf) who also likes a "sip" as well then you will most likely feel you are exactly where you'd always hoped you'd be.

There is no song as sweet as the moaning and groaning of Korea, when through the blessing of soju sex.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've got a fatty liver which may or not be from alcohol or yo-yo weight loss and gain in my adult years.

I actually was hammered the night before the medical in Korea ( I wasn't expecting it that day). I feared the worst come the medical next day and for a few weeks expected to be kicked out of the country.

In fact it was flagged up by the doctor but he didn't mention it on the medical forms that went to immigration. He just told me a few weeks later (I was asked to go back) that my liver isn't in great shape, which I know.

I guess some docs don't really care as long as you haven't something contagious or have tested positive for drugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: