Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hong Kong for 3 nights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiteshoes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Hong Kong for 3 nights Reply with quote

I'll be going to a conference in Hong Kong so I'll be busy during the day. But, I'll have 3 nights to see the sights. Any recommendations? I can't stay out too late (presenting at 10 AM one day) but I'd love to hear what you think. Is there a Hong Kong version of like a kimbap place? Cheap decent food?
dsun1226

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there 2 summers ago and I had a blast! Hong Kong is definitely one of the best places in the world to get just about any kind of food. One of my favorites was Australian Dairy Company.

http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=90

If I remember correctly, my meal came out to only around 4-5 USD or so!
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one thing that you must do in HK is Victoria Peak. It's the large hill/mountain sitting right behind Central HK. The view there is outstanding, one of the best I've seen- and I go well out of my way to get good views. If you could time it right it would even be worth going late afternoon to see it in daylight, then having dinner there and going back out when it's dark to get the night view. My big regret regarding HK was not going back there again to see the view at night, but I expect I'll be back eventually

On the whole it seems to lack the tourist attractions that other major east Asian cities have (Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo) but it's a cool city just to wander about. It's most interesting to explore than Seoul and Tokyo, and probably Beijing too. It's a shame you won't have time there during the day

Oh yea, one thing you could do at night is go to the horse racing. It depends which weekdays you'll be there but that made quite a fun evening
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hong Kong for 3 nights Reply with quote

whiteshoes wrote:
I'll be going to a conference in Hong Kong so I'll be busy during the day. But, I'll have 3 nights to see the sights. Any recommendations? I can't stay out too late (presenting at 10 AM one day) but I'd love to hear what you think. Is there a Hong Kong version of like a kimbap place? Cheap decent food?

There is plenty of cheap food in HKG, you need not worry about that. You might want to check out the Temple St Night Market in Kowloon (large but also touristy).

And the view of the HKG skyline at any time is fantastic.
missty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived there for a year and loved it. Pretty much what everyone says will do you well.

You should go to The Peak at night, and Temple Street Night Market is also great for picking up souvenirs. Plus, you could also take the Star Ferry across to Kowloon as you'll have great views of the skyline from there. Also, the Symphony of Lights starts at (I think) 8pm from Kowloon side so you can catch the light-show too and wander along the Avenue of Stars at the same time. Depending on what time you get off of course.

Anyway, that's just a few ideas for you to think about. I am sure you'll have a great time!
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any cheap stays in Hong Kong? I mean like Guest Houses even Dormitories.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Any cheap stays in Hong Kong? I mean like Guest Houses even Dormitories.

Hostels, guest houses and dorms = yes.
Cheap = no.

Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at a guesthouse in the Kowloon area and well, it sucked. Small and in a dodgy area.

I moved to JJ Hotel in Wanchai and by HK standards, the rooms were spacious. The staff spoke English and allowed you to stow your stuff there if you had a late flight. HK ain't cheap at all unless you wanna do the dorm-style guesthouses.

I found HK nice but not a place I'd live in. The food and shopping are good, but oh well, to each his or her own.
creeper1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

When it comes to accommodation I think rent a room are excellent value.

They are not particulary easy to find but very close to Jordan MRT station in Kowloon. Be sure to save the phone number and call them. They say they don't have a big sign because a lot of hotels rent rooms by the hour (i.e. prostitution) around there.

Call them. Friendly Filipina staff and gay guy. Boss is a bit of an a-hole though.

http://rentaroomhk.com/
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Hong+Kong%2C+Hong+Kong&country=Hong-Kong&city=Hong-Kong
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: