Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever been rejected due to liver health?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
been a functional alcoholic for a number of years

What qualifications do you have that would make you think you can be a teacher in a foreign country? I ask this because I worry about the students and your effectiveness. I worked with a heavy drinker once and the only reason he kept his job was because the nephew of the owner liked him. His content in the classroom was lousy and his conversation topic with other teachers was all about drinking, his and his friends blackouts.
LeVig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I worked with a heavy drinker once and the only reason he kept his job was because the nephew of the owner liked him. His content in the classroom was lousy and his conversation topic with other teachers was all about drinking, his and his friends blackouts.

That doesn't sound like me. I have much more interesting stories.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viral hep gets you sent home without so much as a by-your-leave.

On-going medical issues can get you sent home.
Failing the liver enzyme test can get you sent home.
(can = not necessarily will).

Functioning (as in NOT dry/reformed) alcoholic can be an issue but won't necessarily show up in your medical tests. Probably have no effect on your visa/ARC application.

IF it becomes an issue at work then all bets are off.

LeVig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your expertise ttompatz. I figured it was a gamble. Its non viral for certain, may not even be defined as hep, but I know that here in the states people on probation for alcohol related offenses have their liver chemistry monitored. So an abnormality will show up. How much weight it will carry? This is to be determined.
kinship

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeVig wrote:
Thank you for your expertise ttompatz. I figured it was a gamble. Its non viral for certain, may not even be defined as hep, but I know that here in the states people on probation for alcohol related offenses have their liver chemistry monitored. So an abnormality will show up. How much weight it will carry? This is to be determined.

I will say this even though it may not really be hepatitis, if the Koreans see that word, they may assume it is and block your entry anyways

Quote:

We have enough problems with people over here who drink too much and it is the students who suffer. It isn't fair to them.
LeVig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

Last edited by LeVig on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 am; edited 2 times in total
lithium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
LeVig wrote:

I will say this even though it may not really be hepatitis, if the Koreans see that word, they may assume it is and block your entry anyways

Quote:

We have enough problems with people over here who drink too much and it is the students who suffer. It isn't fair to them.

Aren't you a little fresh off of the plane to be giving advice of this magnitude?
kinship

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I showed up drunk for two years of college. I graduated cum laude. Teacher feedback after my presentations often included the comment, "you should be a teacher."

Wow, that is something not to be proud of. You do miss the point though. In this country the actions of one westerner does affect conditions for all and it is not pleasant having to pay for someone else's behavior.

Are you sure they meant to be a teacher in a different culture? We have many people who are certified yet can't handle the cultural differences and leave very quickly. Life here isn't for everyone.

Like I said the students suffer and good teachers think about their students first.

Quote:
But you don't know me

I don't want to either. I just want to give you the bigger picture so you know what you are getting involved in.

Quote:
Sorry to be snarky I just don't think you should write all of the alcoholics off so quickly

Haven't written you off I take teaching very seriously and I take the treatment of students very seriously whereas many here do not and they make things worse for the rest of us.

Quote:
Most of them are bums, but you would be surprised to learn of all the middle class alcoholics that do their jobs and you would never guess exis

Your assumption is noted and off the mark. I know the difference between an alcoholic and a functioning heavy drinker and I know the stress that comes with this job. Things can change when you are actually in country.

I am also using your thread to speak to a general audience not just you. Korean teachers do talk to other Korean teachers and what westerners do does get passed around and it does affect how westerners are perceived and treated.
kinship

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium wrote:
kinship wrote:
LeVig wrote:

Quote:

Aren't you a little fresh off of the plane to be giving advice of this magnitude?

No.
diver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium wrote:
kinship wrote:
LeVig wrote:

Quote:

Despite kinship's join date (and growing infamy), are you actually saying that the two points you brought up as examples are off the mark?
LeVig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this thread because I wanted information. I believe that is the point of these forums. Many provided useful information regarding my situation.

Some were critical and I took the hook. I regret my last post for two reasons: I provided way too much personal information and I did not want to get dragged into a morality pillow fight about the conduct of expat teachers.

To those who added input into my decision making, I thank you. To the critics I just say best wishes and peace.

I will update this post for potential future readers who share my predicament when there are any new developments.
kinship

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I started this thread because I wanted information

Here is some information that has not been mentioned so far. Medical privacy here is not the same as it is in the west. Your employer can phone the doctor and get your medical results that you consider confidential.

Unless that has changed over the last couple of years, many westerners get upset when they find this out.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a friend who is getting hired into samsung and they told him based off his initial health check that he needs to have his liver in check before they can hire him. so they gave him two months and he hasn't touched the sauce for a month now.

ironic considering once he joins he'll just raise his liver toxicity levels again.

i guess they just want a fresh liver to start with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: