Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to prepare for teaching abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juglandaceous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: How to prepare for teaching abroad Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. About me: female English lit major graduating with B.A. in June and I want to teach in Seoul for a year (at least). I have childcare type experience in a nanny setting, a little bit of tutoring experience in education, and several years experience as a ski instructor. So a lot of slightly related but not wholly relevant experience.

My question is what should I be doing in the next several months to make myself the best applicant possible. What's the jury say on taking a TEFL course? Helpful or not helpful? Would working as a mentor at the Boys and Girls Club be helpful? Any sort of internship I could apply for next quarter that would stand out on a resume?

And since I have your attention, am I correct in assuming most jobs begin with the Korean school year in March? Also there's a lot of contradictory information out there so any tips you have for someone just beginning their plans to teach abroad would be greatly appreciated!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prepare for teaching abroad Reply with quote

juglandaceous wrote:
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. About me: female English lit major graduating with B.A. in June and I want to teach in Seoul for a year (at least). I have childcare type experience in a nanny setting, a little bit of tutoring experience in education, and several years experience as a ski instructor. So a lot of slightly related but not wholly relevant experience.

My question is what should I be doing in the next several months to make myself the best applicant possible. What's the jury say on taking a TEFL course? Helpful or not helpful? Would working as a mentor at the Boys and Girls Club be helpful? Any sort of internship I could apply for next quarter that would stand out on a resume?

And since I have your attention, am I correct in assuming most jobs begin with the Korean school year in March? Also there's a lot of contradictory information out there so any tips you have for someone just beginning their plans to teach abroad would be greatly appreciated!

Take a TEFL course. Make sure there is at least 20 hours of IN class and a minimum of 100 hours total.

Volunteer work won't help much when you get thrown into a classroom with the only instruction being, "Teach".

The school year starts March 2.
The 2nd term starts at the end of August.
Public school recruitment drives are usually 90-120 days before that (Nov/Dec for February orientation) and April/May for July arrivals).

Hagwons (private language academies) hire year round and usually recruit about 30-60 days in advance of needing staff.
They are NOT schools. They are businesses for profit and their basis of a "good teacher" is based on enrollments (keeping kids happy and bums in the seats) and NOT on basic education or academic performance.

It will take you 60-90 days to get your paperwork in order (if you are from the States) before you can even be seriously thought of for employment.

Your application package (if you really want a job) should include:
cover letter
resume with passport style photo (professional appearance).
scan of your passport
scan of your degree with apostille
scan of your CBC with apostille.

Missing any of the above and you will just cause your application to hit the bin to be forever ignored as just another tire kicker.

watergirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You're pretty employable here because you're a north american female with an English major. (A lot of ads ask for N. American females, they're a little bit stereotypical)
You should try for public schools if you can and they do hire all year around but u just have to go thru individual recruiters.

So, recruiters are really annoying, and will send u jobs completely unrelated to what you asked (my theory is that they merely send your pic and resume to all their clients (the schools) and then see who likes u,) but be persistent
They get a payment from each school in which they place someone, so they want to place someone as fast as they can (in case the hiree signs someone else)
I find 'Korvia' is good about listing specific schools where they need someone.
Now, because you are inexperienced, getting the CELTA? or TESOL? is the best thing you can do to be more employable.

But, there are lots of jobs that you can get still.
Private institutes are not all bad but can be a little sketchy sometimes (just usually things such as not getting all your vacation, or not getting a good apt)

The best thing to do when considering a private institute is to try and get another foreign teacher's email (just say you want to ask about the area and stuff) and find out from them the situation.
Also, although not always true, it is good to get into a bigger academy, so then you know they will be able to weather loss in student or money.
Lastly, try to get in a location near a subway.
Try and avoid the big chains like SLP where they make you work a lot, but really, each place depends on the immediate manager and you can tell pretty quickly by how happy the other foreigners are.

Try for those public schools
watergirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen recent ads from 'footprints recruiting' and other agencies specifically saying that the TESOL or CELTA isn't necessary but apparently, there is some talk/gossip that this might be made a requirement in the future.
So, contact footprints or Korvia, and apply with them. Try Korvia first I think. Also good, they will help you with getting all the paperwork done , Americans now need an FBI check which takes awhile, but also is only good for 6 months, so you should be aware of all the paperwork.
They will know about the pubic school requirements, but be aware that as a new person, they might try and put you in a bad location because they n red to get someone to take these jobs, and really only the new people will, but you can get in a city area with your major and because you're N AMerican female.
PS: the suburbs outside of Seoul are often nicer and its easier to meet other foreigners.
Don't worry about being the only foreigner in your public school as you have to go to an orientation where you will meet all the other foreigners in your area, of which there are many as most public schools have a foreigner working there.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct from the horse's mouth ( http://www.epik.go.kr )

EPIK wrote:

... starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course.

We strongly advise you to take the TEFL or TESOL programs including at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component. However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component. This decision was made to meet requests from the POE/MOEs and schools who wish to have the most qualified Guest English Teachers possible.

flash viego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the TEFL course in May, that ends at the end of the month, can you apply in April? Can you get the ball rolling with them if you are enrolled, or have started the course? Ideally, I'd like to take a course offerred in March, but can't come up with the money. The next one they have is in May, and ends at the end of May.

I'm thinking with this new qualification requirement, even the Hakwan jobs will get more competetive. I'm sure many recent grad types looking to work for one year will not take the course, and will flood the Hakwan market. Those who normally could have taken public school jobs will no longer be able to do so.

As someone who wants to make this a career, I know now I need to do this, I'm just hoping a finish of the course at the end of May isn't too late. I just can't come up with the beans for the March course.

Also, is the Oxford Seminars ok? Thant seems to be the only one in my city , Houston TX.
watergirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too late for what? It's true there more public school jobs in March and sept which you need to apply for a few months earlier.
I don't see why you can't start applying while you're studying in your course.
But many jobs, even in some public school are available anytime. You need to contact the recruiters (as listed above) to check the deadlines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: