Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could a non-native English speaker find a job in Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alongway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IF you do NOT meet all 3 requirements you cannot get a job in Korea as an English teacher.

There is no maybe. There is no way around it. There is no loophole. There is no chance.

Unless they married a Korean, obtained an F visa, or they came here to work in another field and obtained citizenship on their own without marrying a Korean.
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Could a non-native English speaker find a job in Korea? Reply with quote

Copilash wrote:
Hello guys,

I'm from Romania ( where English is not the official language ) and I'm looking for months for a job in South Korea. I have been told that I'm not eligible to get a teaching visa. I also received some answers like: "I'm very interested in you." and they haven't replied. To tell you the truth, going to Korea is my dream. I have been searching for long term volunteering programs at first, but, since I'm not American, I can't apply, and now, I guess I could do whatever ( legally, of course ) to live there. I have told my family and friends, even my boss, that I'm going to Korea very soon and I can't seem to find a way to do so.

Is there any way I can find a job in South Korea?

Many Korean companies hire foreign interns and full time employees, for example, Samsung Electronics hired 1200 foreign employees and thousands of foreign interns last year � mostly engineering and business majors. Check this site (if you can read Korean). Keep trying and you will get a position. Welcome to Korea!

http://search.nate.com/search/all.html?ssn=036&dsn=3&asn=003600540&thr=vnnw&nq=&q=%BF%DC%B1%B9%C0%CE+%C0%CE%C5%CF%B8%F0%C1%FD

In addition there are some English teaching positions available.
Foreign teacher of an English Camp (for Romanian nationals)
� Evidence of degree. Applicants may choose one of the following :
(1) Certificate of academic degree issued by the relevant university. (Affixed with an apostille or attached with documents verifying highest education, issued by domestic verification agency)
(2) Certificate of graduation that lists acquisition of diploma (Affixed with apostille or attached with documents verifying highest education, issued by domestic verification agency)
� Proof of (lack of) criminal records(the record must be affixed with the relevant nation�s Apostille)
� A certificate of employment
� Copy of Business Registration of the organization that opened the camp, Corporate Registration or Document of establishing educational organizations(사업자등록증 사본)
Konglishman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilash,

First of all, I am under the impression that you have fallen in love with the Korea depicted by the Korean dramas. Anyways, I mean no disrespect by saying that and just want to warn you that reality just like anywhere else can prove to be much different in certain respects. That being said, while Korea has more than its fair share of frustrations, there are a number of things to love about the place.

Now, let me ask you a question. Do you by any chance speak any Russian? I know as a matter of fact from my Uzbek friends that there are some decent opportunities for those who can speak Russian and Korean especially if you have other qualifications like an MBA. If you like, I can ask one of friends working at a company in Seoul.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are going to be lots of opportunities for Rumanians and Bulgarians in the UK in the near future
Copilash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway thanks for the info.

Moondoggy thanks you very much, I'm on it!

Konglishman because of the Korean dramas I started to like the language very much. And I started learning it, I'm still at the beginning, but I'll manage it someday. I'm a member of the Romanian Korean Intercultural Association, where we promote Korean language, Korean culture, traditional Korean clothing, traditional music and dancing, calligraphy and so on. How am I going to do these things since I have never been to Korea? And since I'm a part of this organization what could be my biggest dream? It's true that I might sound like a k-pop freak little girl. My mom says so whenever she can. It's just that I fell in love with a country and I want to do my best in going there and live this dream. Like I said, I am aware that I might not like it or that I'll fall for another country in a few years. But this is what I want to do now. I hope you can understand.
I personally don't think that is a perfect place on this Earth. Every country has it's ups and it's downs. Unfortunately some of them have much more downs, than ups, and I'm a citizen of one of these countries, like edwardcatflap here wants to point out. But I don't judge a person for his/her country of origin. And I think about me as unlucky for being Romanian, for not being a citizen of one of your 7 golden countries, regarding this topic.
I don't speak Russian, this is a language that was thought in our schools in the communism era. I'm too young. But thank you very much for the reply and for your help.
furtakk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given your situation, the best way to come to korea would be on a student visa. you can get a visa to study language (D4). after 6 months of studying you can legally work part-time (up to 20 hours a week).

the government also offers scholarships through the NIEED program: http://www.niied.go.kr/eng/index.do
Murakano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilash wrote:

Michpottier, thank you for the information! Teaching Romanian in Korea I don't think is rare, it's nonexistent, but thanks. I am a member of the Romanian-Korean Intercultural Association and the Korean Embassy is not really supportive. I don't know what to say about it, but it is also true that I haven't payed them a visit. I will definitely do it.

Soeul_newbie I already have an MBA and I never considered a PhD, honestly. But you are probably right, perhaps this is my only chance in fulfilling my dream. But, unless I find a scholarship that will provide me "house and meal" like we say, I can't even do that. I will look up for scholarships and benefits. Thanks!

Zpeanut I have a Masters Degree in Business Administration and notting to do with it in Romania. I'm not going to stress you out with my country's problems, but leaving Romania is my next planned step. And I want to go to Korea for many reasons (also don't want to make a fuss about that). I don't think I could find a job with my qualification (or can I?), and I also, don't have the resources to go to Korea first and then find an employer who would help me with my visa and everything else.

Yes very few places offer Romanian but Hankuk University of Foreign Studies do actually (they have a Department of Romanian). I know a few students studying Hungarian and Finnish so they really teach all sorts.

With your qualifications (MBA, MA) it might be a possibility though you lack teaching experience.

Whether they have positions now or in future I don`t know but something to look at.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally don't think that is a perfect place on this Earth. Every country has it's ups and it's downs. Unfortunately some of them have much more downs, than ups, and I'm a citizen of one of these countries, like edwardcatflap here wants to point out. But I don't judge a person for his/her country of origin

Me neither. I know what it's like coming from an economically inferior country myself , having worked in Switzerland when I was about your age. They didn't offer me any residents' rights back then but I would have bitten their hand off if they had. Nowadays in Korea I've had them offered to me on a plate (due to marriage) but wasn't interested.
Copilash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furtakk that's what I'm looking for, now. Thanks! Thank you, Murakano, I didn't know they have Romanian specialization. Wow, that's something... I'll look into it. edwardcatflap we're small but we can do big things, we just need the opportunity.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

Do a TOEIC/IELTS/TOEFL test (proof of English competency by an independent source) and you CAN find decent paying work (as an English teacher or in business) in a large part of eastern and southeast Asia (exclusions being Korea, and Taiwan).

In Taiwan, I met a Turkish guy teaching English at a language school (and his English wasn't great). I also met a group of Romanians who were teaching English. If I recall correctly, they all had BA degrees in English language. I seem to recall meeting other non-native English speakers there who were teaching English but I can't remember where they were from.

I've met a few non-native English teachers (aside from the Koreans) working in Korea but quite rarely. I PM'd the OP on the other site with advice on how to get those jobs. There are jobs at "English village" parks plus other teaching jobs. If someone else wants advice on searching for the other teaching jobs, PM me.
Copilash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Turkish guy who doesn't know English very well, I have received a very interesting email today, probably a user on this forum, to which I have answered and received a very interesting, clever and funny reply:
He: why do YOU think you can teach ENGLISH in KOREA???

you people...

Me: Hey...

You must have my email address from the forum. Why do you say that? Is it because I wasn't born in America, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa? My English teachers were all Romanian.

He:you already have the answer....

does the world NEED a bunch of Asian kids running around sounding like Dracula and trying to suck blood from others?

i don't think so!

LOL! I'm so happy to see that people are afraid of me. But really, we just eat each other's blood. It's a tradition thing. So, the Asian kids are safe.
About the accent, he should probably have met lots of Romanians. Now, I don't get how all these seven countries live with each other. They have different accents, right? What's wrong with Dracula? His English (that was invented by the Americans) is a little sexy. Am I right? Am I right?
I guess I should send him a vocal sample so he could certify my accent.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His English (that was invented by the Americans) is a little sexy

Actually the book was written by an Irishman and the two actors who are most famous for playing the role were Hungarian (Bela Lugosi) and British (Christopher Lee)
northway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working illegally when there's no real reason to do so is pretty ill-advised. Bitching at people when they tell you so is just stupid.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

Do a TOEIC/IELTS/TOEFL test (proof of English competency by an independent source) and you CAN find decent paying work (as an English teacher or in business) in a large part of eastern and southeast Asia (exclusions being Korea, and Taiwan).

In Taiwan, I met a Turkish guy teaching English at a language school (and his English wasn't great). I also met a group of Romanians who were teaching English. If I recall correctly, they all had BA degrees in English language. I seem to recall meeting other non-native English speakers there who were teaching English but I can't remember where they were from.

I've met a few non-native English teachers (aside from the Koreans) working in Korea but quite rarely. I PM'd the OP on the other site with advice on how to get those jobs. There are jobs at "English village" parks plus other teaching jobs. If someone else wants advice on searching for the other teaching jobs, PM me.

I'd forgotten that. I'd heard about romanians working at the Paju English village before actually. Guess that is another "loophole" in the land of no "loopholes"
Copilash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry for saying that the accent was invented by Americans, but it's not Romanian. What I want to say is that we don't speak English like that and his opinion is stupid, based on a film, because Dracula is a fictional character. When many of you were telling me that I have seen too many Korean dramas, it's my turn now to say he saw too many movies. But that's not the point here. What's important is that he has no valid arguments.
Oh, and I'm not bitching at anyone here. Perhaps you find this kind of email OK, maybe you agree with him, but I have never said that I want to work illegally. If I wanted to do so I would already be there, doing illegal stuff...
Thank you, alongway, and although I may not go to Korea to teach English, I promise I have a very nice accent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: