Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Sample Contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freebeacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Korean Sample Contract Reply with quote

I would like to see a couple of examples of an actual or sample contract you have signed or come across. I am particularly concerned about termination agreements. Is each university or school the same with this part of the contract? I only have China for reference. If you give "notice", normally one month in advance, then you are not in breach of contract even though you perhaps signed a 12 month contract. Giving notice, on either the part of the teacher or the school, normally severs the relationship without penalty in China.

Is this the same in Korea? I have read so many bad stories I want to make sure I have an escape option that does not burn me financially. The USA and Australian embassies in Seoul have statements about teaching English in Korea that gave pause for concern. What is the worst scenario if you give proper notice of intent to quit a job in Korea? Have any of you done so?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Korean Sample Contract Reply with quote

freebeacher wrote:
I would like to see a couple of examples of an actual or sample contract you have signed or come across. I am particularly concerned about termination agreements. Is each university or school the same with this part of the contract? I only have China for reference. If you give "notice", normally one month in advance, then you are not in breach of contract even though you perhaps signed a 12 month contract. Giving notice, on either the part of the teacher or the school, normally severs the relationship without penalty in China.

Is this the same in Korea? I have read so many bad stories I want to make sure I have an escape option that does not burn me financially. The USA and Australian embassies in Seoul have statements about teaching English in Korea that gave pause for concern. What is the worst scenario if you give proper notice of intent to quit a job in Korea? Have any of you done so?

111 pages of contracts... from all types of employers, most hagwan chains and many universities across Korea.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=197658

If you work for a public school or other government job you can get out with little or no fuss with 30 days notice (getting another job however is another matter so quitting should not be taken lightly). If you work for less than 6 months you usually have to repay the airfare and settlement allowance.

If you work for a hagwon they will usually have a 10-day gap between the end of the work month and your payday. If you leave without notice they have their expenses (typically your inbound airfare) covered.

Quitting with notice is often a bad idea unless you want to work your last month for free (they have a bad habit of not paying until forced to - hoping that you will leave Korea first).

Be careful of contracts that require airfare repayment after the 6-month mark, repayment of recruiters fees, etc. RED FLAG - keep moving.

YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Giving notice, on either the part of the teacher or the school, normally severs the relationship without penalty in China.

That's partly true and partly true with Korea. You have more promises at stake with Korea, so there is more incentive in Korea to hold onto things like airfare, pension, severance, and last pay.

In China, they don't usually give pension or severance. You need to work a full year for airfare, and salaries are generally lower than Korean salaries. Take all that into account, and you have about 6,000 or more USD (about 6 months salary in China).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: