Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 - 15 min class demo for interview ..anyone done this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watergirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: 10 - 15 min class demo for interview ..anyone done this Reply with quote

Hi
I have an interview where they want me to do only a 10-15 min class demo infront of a grade 2 elementary class.
Has anyone done this?
Just wondering, should I just do an activity or just the beginning of a real 40 minute lesson?
Anyone done this before? Where the kids really quiet because they didn't know you?
I know they probably want to see me speak, but also get the kids speaking, and probably doing an activity. It's just kind of a ridiculous time frame.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 - 15 min class demo for interview ..anyone done this Reply with quote

watergirl wrote:
Hi
I have an interview where they want me to do only a 10-15 min class demo infront of a grade 2 elementary class.
Has anyone done this?
Just wondering, should I just do an activity or just the beginning of a real 40 minute lesson?
Anyone done this before? Where the kids really quiet because they didn't know you?
I know they probably want to see me speak, but also get the kids speaking, and probably doing an activity. It's just kind of a ridiculous time frame.

PS or hagwon? 12 or 40 students? What facilities are available?

For that age, I would suggest working on an activity song if you/they have the facilities for music (Cd/mp3-speakers) or a music video (laptop / dvd-TV). Baring that, a chant with action/activities would be another quick to show off results option.

Works well in a short time frame, gets the kids going, they won't forget you.

watergirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I use music a lot in my current job. Trouble is I don't know exactly what facilities they have and would hate to depend on something only to find out it isn't there.
It's a private public school, where the grade two's have many English classes a day, it's sort of an english immersion school so I;m assuming even the grade two's will be past the basic beginner English which a lot of the songs on you tube (oh which I know many) target.
I always begin my classes with music when I'm marking homework, but with only 10 or 15 minutes, I'm thinking they also want to see me teach a little, or how I speak with the class, and to get the kids talking.
I'm thinking of doing breakfast food with I want bcause this is not too easy and kids seem to like talking about things they want, pets, and food.
The classes are only about 15 students
Anyways, I think teaching demos are a little silly.
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Ask the right questions... Reply with quote

This might be a good time to ask what facilities and equiptment are available for your demo class...

You may also want to have a contingency plan in case this equiptment breaks down on you....

You can alway sing accapello with the kids...if worst comes to worst....

Make sure you have several activites in case your class shuts down on you....that would suck...I've seen that happen.
nora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ask the right questions... Reply with quote

Soldier wrote:
This might be a good time to ask what facilities and equiptment are available for your demo class...

You may also want to have a contingency plan in case this equiptment breaks down on you....

You can alway sing accapello with the kids...if worst comes to worst....

Make sure you have several activites in case your class shuts down on you....that would suck...I've seen that happen.

This.

Hope for the best, assume the worst. Another thing to do is be able to explain what you're doing pedagogically. Last time I had to do a demo lesson, I was supposed to prepare a 20 minute lesson. But what does that mean? 20 minutes I have to talk? Or with a real class it will fill 20 minutes? Either way, the interviewers were asking me questions during it, so I only "taught" for about 5 minutes, but spent the other 15 telling them why I was doing this, why I wasn't doing that, etc. Of course, this was before three people, not a whole class...

Either way, better to overprepare and feel like you wasted your time than to look like an idiot! Good luck!
watergirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can usually get kids talking, I'm expecting the worst, that they won't talk at all, esps as they don't know me, and in my open classes, I find the really smart kids get too quiet when people r staring at them.

Of course, you know, I did ask what was available, but the recruiter only answered me, yes, they have everything which, I know, could mean they have nothing or I can't even access the computer (songs on Youtube) becuase it needs a password which none knows.
So, I've decided not to rely on technology.
Didn't expect people o interupt me but I do have that with my open classes now. I think they just want to hear how someone speaks and see them with kids.
For many jobs, probably just doing a fun activity would work best.

but, I'm leaning to start a lesson (a theme, vocab etc)and to do a warm-up of a lesson, hopefully where students talk, and an activity.
I'll just explain that it's just part of lesson I think.

Was just wondering if others have done this. It seems to be more common now, and I almost feel like telling them no as it merely encourages this practice.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken to the school about your 'open class?'

It is not uncommon here in Korea for an open class to have NO children in it!

You just 'model' your open class, whilst anywhere between 3-15 adults sit there and mark you! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: