Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expiring passport and renewing ARC - please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danby_ll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Expiring passport and renewing ARC - please help! Reply with quote

I really hope someone can answer this. I'm having a bit of a freak out thinking about it.

I did searches but I'm still a bit confused about the process and what's going to happen.

My (Canadian) passport expires on May 1, 2013. My alien registration card expires on March 31, 2013. I have re-signed at my school for one more year but they have yet to have me sign the contract and apply for an extension. My new contract starts at the beginning of March.

I had my school call immigration who told them I should apply for the visa extension first, and then renew my passport. However, will immigration only stamp my ARC with a date corresponding to my passport expiry date? If so, after renewing my passport will I have to go back to immigration and get a new stamp on my ARC with a new expiry date?

It's too late now to renew my passport before I have to renew my visa since it will take about a month to get the new passport and I need the passport to renew my visa. Oh God, this sounds so confusing writing it all out.

One more thing - I'm moving at the end of the month. Since my current address is on my ARC, do I have to get a whole new ARC with my new address on it, or does immigration just need that info in their database?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help out and give me some peace of mind.
Alias77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't a troll post.

You don't seem to have a problem, yet, according to the time frames you listed. It's the middle of February but you must hurry. If it takes a month for a new passport, I'd either do a dance for the Canadian embassy to see if they can do a rush job starting asap and get it back before March 31st ~explaining the reason you are requesting expedited service....

OR go to immigration within the next two weeks and apply for the ARC extension first. It's processed and issued while you wait in the office allowing you to follow up with the passport business immediately after. You'll have to hash it out with your employer to get time, if you need so due to your schedule, to do these things. They are absolutely essential for you to continue working in Korea and getting them done in time means avoiding bigger problems for everyone involved.

The ARC extension probably won't be an issue, but even so, they'd extend at the very least until May 1st, which still gives you plenty of time to handle it. That's a matter simple enough to explain and work out at immigration during the process of applying for an extension. If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to return to immigration regardless because renewing your contract still requires filing new paperwork, like a copy of your contract for the upcoming year ~ although I'm hazy on those details as I haven't done it recently. So, yes, after getting an extension, you will probably have to go back again.

The change of address is a secondary issue. Take care of your permissions to be abroad and to continue working in Korea first. Those will mess up your livelihood and life. It's best not to complicate matters in a single immigration visit with the address thing, IMO, but other opinions may differ. As you're going to have to go back for filing renewal paperwork, I'd deal with the address thing later.

Good luck
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, will immigration only stamp my ARC with a date corresponding to my passport expiry date?

No.

Why not?

Because there needed to be 6 months on your passport before the expiry date to get the visa. That means you already got an ARC (which you know and is about to expire).

The ARC doesn't state how long you WILL live at an address, but rather WHEN and WHERE you are living now. So, you could move before your ARC card expires. They don't know this.

As stated, "The change of address is a secondary issue."

Get your visa extended first.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Expiring passport and renewing ARC - please help! Reply with quote

danby_ll wrote:
I really hope someone can answer this. I'm having a bit of a freak out thinking about it.

I did searches but I'm still a bit confused about the process and what's going to happen.

My (Canadian) passport expires on May 1, 2013. My alien registration card expires on March 31, 2013. I have re-signed at my school for one more year but they have yet to have me sign the contract and apply for an extension. My new contract starts at the beginning of March.

I had my school call immigration who told them I should apply for the visa extension first, and then renew my passport. However, will immigration only stamp my ARC with a date corresponding to my passport expiry date? If so, after renewing my passport will I have to go back to immigration and get a new stamp on my ARC with a new expiry date?

It's too late now to renew my passport before I have to renew my visa since it will take about a month to get the new passport and I need the passport to renew my visa. Oh God, this sounds so confusing writing it all out.

One more thing - I'm moving at the end of the month. Since my current address is on my ARC, do I have to get a whole new ARC with my new address on it, or does immigration just need that info in their database?

Immigration will extend your ARC until the expiry date of your passport.
Apply for your new passport.
when it arrives you are required to go to immigration and report the change anyway.
They will change the expiry of the ARC to the end of your year at the same time that they register the new passport.
You can also update your address at the same time.

danby_ll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! I guess my only problem will be taking so many mornings off work to do all this since I work 9 to 4:30.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tthompatz, I also have a question. I just renewed my passport last week. My contract ends at the end of February, and I will most likely be applying for a D-10 visa. Do I need to go immigration beforehand and tell them of my new passport? Or, as I still have possession of my old passport, will that suffice when I go to apply for the D-10?

Cheers.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I challenge this assertion. If my understanding is correct that you need 6 months on your passport to get a 1 year visa, then you would also be getting an ARC which expires AFTER the passport expiry date.

"Less than 6 months remaining and a new visa application (visa or visa confirmation number application) it would be refused anyway." - ttompatz

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2754886
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Tthompatz, I also have a question. I just renewed my passport last week. My contract ends at the end of February, and I will most likely be applying for a D-10 visa. Do I need to go immigration beforehand and tell them of my new passport? Or, as I still have possession of my old passport, will that suffice when I go to apply for the D-10?

Cheers.

New passport in hand you need to report the change to immigration.
They will update their files.
You are supposed to do it within 14 days of receiving your new passport (since your old one is canceled when the new one arrives).

Since the change of status (E2 to D10) will occur very close to your 14 days you can do it all at once.

ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:

I challenge this assertion. If my understanding is correct that you need 6 months on your passport to get a 1 year visa, then you would also be getting an ARC which expires AFTER the passport expiry date.

"Less than 6 months remaining and a new visa application (visa or visa confirmation number application) it would be refused anyway." - ttompatz

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2754886

New visa / new entry as compared to an extension of status within the country (and I have done both).

For international travel you typically need a minimum of 6 months validity remaining on your passport.

danby_ll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Expiring passport and renewing ARC - please help! Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
danby_ll wrote:

Apply for your new passport.
when it arrives you are required to go to immigration and report the change anyway.
They will change the expiry of the ARC to the end of your year at the same time that they register the new passport.
You can also update your address at the same time.

So I applied for my ARC extension before applying for my new passport and they still gave me an expiry date of March 2014 even though my passport expires May 1, 2013. So I guess you were wrong for once, ttompatz! Very Happy

I applied for my new passport today and also updated my new address with immigration. Now I just have to let immi know my new passport information when I get that back in 3 weeks. Thanks for your help, everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: