Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
IOC doesn�t want South Korean player to accept bronze after making political statement

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ioc-says-south-korean-player-t-accept-bronze-145955541--oly.html

Quote:
IOC officials have recommended that a South Korean soccer player will be barred from collecting his bronze medal after he celebrated his team's victory over Japan by holding a sign that addressed an ongoing, hot-button political flap in the region.
Jongwoo Park held up a sign that read, "Dokdo is our land," a reference to a peninsula that both the Japanese and Koreans claim as their own.

I like the fact that he wrote his sign in Korean. That way, he was sure to convince the people who most need convincing that Dokdo belongs to Korea. Well thought out.

Headline news this evening- this story contains two classic elements that will get Korean netizens worked into a frenzy
1 Dokdo
2 perceived injustice again Korean team (denying athlete bronze ceremony)

Right now I can hear the clattering of a million keyboards hunting all other examples of political protest in the Olympics where the teams involved didn't get a similar reprimand..

If he doesn't get his medal I wonder if he'll have to do military service? I suppose on the one hand he won't have a medal but on the other hand he's a martyr to the cause.

It has been announced on the Korean news: no medal, no military service exemption.

By the way this policy has been active for a long time, it is not new to the London Olympics nor limited to certain events. Men who earn a medal for their country are exempt from military service. I suppose the logic is that they earned something for their entire country.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
flakfizer wrote:
Quote:
IOC doesn�t want South Korean player to accept bronze after making political statement

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ioc-says-south-korean-player-t-accept-bronze-145955541--oly.html

Quote:
IOC officials have recommended that a South Korean soccer player will be barred from collecting his bronze medal after he celebrated his team's victory over Japan by holding a sign that addressed an ongoing, hot-button political flap in the region.
Jongwoo Park held up a sign that read, "Dokdo is our land," a reference to a peninsula that both the Japanese and Koreans claim as their own.

I like the fact that he wrote his sign in Korean. That way, he was sure to convince the people who most need convincing that Dokdo belongs to Korea. Well thought out.

Headline news this evening- this story contains two classic elements that will get Korean netizens worked into a frenzy
1 Dokdo
2 perceived injustice again Korean team (denying athlete bronze ceremony)

Right now I can hear the clattering of a million keyboards hunting all other examples of political protest in the Olympics where the teams involved didn't get a similar reprimand..

Yes except the Korean government did not hesitate and the athlete in question will not be exempted from service since he did break the rules.
HarryMorgan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been extremely disappointed with the Olympics coverage in Korea. The KBS coverage was pathetic, period. They mostly just seemed to replay matches where Koreans won instead of even attempting to branch out to show even a modicum of variety regarding the wide assortment of the actual games themselves. Archery, Judo, some fencing, and random events scattered around carelessly.

My SK cable package sucks, 500+ channels, and around ten are watchable, but what did it in for me was expecting to see the USA vs Spain gold metal basketball game tonight. My girlfriend looked it up and it was advertised to be on KBS1 at 11 pm. But, at 11 pm, they talked about the basketball game for a couple minutes, before they showed a Korean boxing match. At half time, there was a show on about kimchi farmers. I had to stream the game from some fuzzy Spanish online source.

Maybe there were broadcast rights issues at play, but I have watched Olympic coverage overseas three times, and this was by far the worst coverage I have ever witnessed.

KBS1 is now showing the game in its entirety, at 1:30 am. Two and a half hours after originally advertised.

http://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=nexearch&query=%EC%98%AC%EB%A6%BC%ED%94%BD%EB%86%8D%EA%B5%AC%EB%AF%B8%EA%B5%AD%EB%8C%80%EC%8A%A4%ED%8E%98%EC%9D%B8&sm=top_hty&fbm=0&ie=utf8

It was a really good game, though.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. The Spanish made a game out of it.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist Tweets towards Japan
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how a bronze medal soccer match was more important than the first Korean in the boxing finals since the 88 Olympics or the gold in taekwondo. Oh and nobody gave a ratsass over the loss in women's volleyball against Japan.
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korean Olympic Committee is now lying, saying that he didn't do it intentionally:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/08/400_117241.html
blm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
It's funny how a bronze medal soccer match was more important than the first Korean in the boxing finals since the 88 Olympics or the gold in taekwondo. Oh and nobody gave a ratsass over the loss in women's volleyball against Japan.

Makes sense to me. Korea vs Japan in baseball or soccer is a big event even when nothings at stake.

They also gave a lot of press to the gymnastics girl that finished 5th (first Korean to ever make the final.

I actually think it's nice that it's not just about medals whereas every 4 years Australians have to pretend to find Swimming interesting.
Lazio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Makes sense to me. Korea vs Japan in baseball or soccer is a big event even when nothings at stake.

They also gave a lot of press to the gymnastics girl that finished 5th (first Korean to ever make the final.

I actually think it's nice that it's not just about medals whereas every 4 years Australians have to pretend to find Swimming interesting

She is a celebrity here despite of never winning a medal anywhere. The media is trying to press her as the next Kim Yuna. She shows up in TV shows, commercials etc, that is why the RG got a lot of attention.
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia is going to have a fact finding mission as to why their swimmers sucked in this Olympics. Ludicrous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/swimming/19149101
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yang Hak-Seon, gold medallist in the men's vault, lives in a greenhouse!

http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/first-korean-gymnastics-champion-lives-in-a-greenhouse.html

You have to admire that.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:

At least our girls didnt sit on the pitch crying for over on hour.

Right. Our girls (a handful or so, including our Captain) just refused to shake hands with the opposing team. Complete garbage. Where's the class, ladies?

As for the game: Very exciting, but the right team won. We gave up 3 different leads. We deserved to lose. We were simply "hanging on" for most of the game. The better team won.

Canada needs to stop their whining. It reeks of the insecure, petty, big-brother envy that we're so well known for. Kinda reminds me of another little country from the East that complains a lot

What? Where did you hear this not shaking hands thing? More misinformation.
Panda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Yang Hak-Seon, gold medallist in the men's vault, lives in a greenhouse!

http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/first-korean-gymnastics-champion-lives-in-a-greenhouse.html

You have to admire that.

I read the article that evaluates commercial potential of every medalist.

They say Yang Hak-Seon is suitable for food products commercials because he is from a poor family, I think that's right but feels so wrong.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unsportsmanlike Park, Jong-woo received his medal anyhow. The IOC disagrees with FIFA, it said last summer it would wait for FIFA's decision before it made its own and it only took 2 months after FIFA's decision which included a fine, 2 game suspension, and warning KFA that if another player does a similar thing again the Korean team could be punished. Although that was called "lenient" by KFA it must have been too strong for the IOC?

If FIFA hadn't punished Park, Jong-woo maybe IOC would have?

In August the IOC chairman Jacques Rogge said Korean footballer Park Jong-woo's �Dokdo ceremony� was clearly political but now - IOC disciplinary panel chairman said �It was obvious he didn�t make a political statement, he was very fair with a Japan player who was sitting on the ground weeping after the match.
You can see from this gesture he had nothing against Japanese people�

�South Korean soccer player Park Jong-woo to get Olympic medal despite political banner�
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/official-familiar-with-decision-ioc-to-give-medal-to-south-korea-footballer-park-jong-woo/2013/02/12/37ac07d8-7524-11e2-9889-60bfcbb02149_story.html
But, Park must receive his medal �without fanfare or publicity,� as a condition of the sanction, International Olympic Committee(IOC) spokesman Mark Adams said.

But what about the fans that gave Park, Jong-woo the Dokdo sign, do they have anything against Japanse people? Are Olympic athletes now the microphones of Olympic fans both of which go unpunished by the IOC?

IOC's message: Athletes can hold up signs at Olympic events as long as you don't have anything against who or whatever they're demonstrating about. In other words an Olympic athlete can hold up a sign that says something like "Shinzō Abe(current Prime Minister of Japan) is a BAD Prime Minister but he is a good man, in fact I love him" but still receive a medal.

You can see that S. Korean media doesn't know what "without publicity" is and I'll bet there were fans that met Park at the airport. I had two students tell me today that they heard about this story on the Internet, one from the Korean lang. Donga Ilbo. Below are others in English.

"Footballer Park Jong-woo to receive long-awaited Olympic medal: IOC"
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2013/02/12/80/0702000000AEN20130212016000315F.HTML

"IOC Reinstates Park Jong-woo's Bronze Medal from London Olympics"
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/02/13/2013021301017.html

"Taekwondo stays in Olympics, Park gets his bronze"
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2013/02/136_130399.html

"Park Jong-woo Given Olympic Bronze-Medal Certificate"
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/11/01/2012110101315.html
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW..obess much?

This is bad for your health, time to move on to healthier activities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: