Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiBro Egg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: WiBro Egg Reply with quote

I have been researching options for enabling the potential to use internet in my classroom. I am looking at using the internet occasionally for google images to describe things, dictionary/thesaurus, youtube vids, esl games via projector connected to my laptop, etc

I've narrowed it down to:
- Purchasing an unlocked smartphone with tethering capabilities + Data Plan
- WiBro Egg

One thing that is quite attractive about the WiBro Egg is that it might be able to double as my home router on the KT 50gb plan.

Can anyone familiar with using the WiBro Egg mention if the 'portable router' is efficient enough for these purposes?
dazzed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what other past posts from Wibro Egg owners, you can connect 5 devices to the Egg.
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

But to be more specific:
I don't plan to allow students to access the Egg (if that's what you were implying by addressing the number of devices that can connect to it). I would be the sole user of the Egg, which I could connect to my laptop/tablet in the classroom, then blow up images/games/videos onto a screen/wall with a projector.

I'd like to carry the Egg to work for class wifi use, but if I was already paying for an internet plan on the device, I might consider doubling it's use at home as well instead of having 2 internet plans. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Egg and whether it is capable of matching conventional speeds of typical home routers/plans?
dazzed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to compare 3g speed with digital line speed. No comparison.
kimun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the egg for home use and I take it with me sometimes to coffee shops when I know its going to be crowded and their wifi network is going to be slow. Nice thing about this, when I use the egg in public places I don't have to worry about network sniffers and people stealing my passwords and what not, because I'm on my private network. But anyways, back to your question.

It's definitely feasible to use at home as your primary internet connection. I get about 6mbs downloads and 1mbs uploads with SKT (Olleh). KT has slightly faster speeds and (maybe) better coverage, but it's a little more expensive. If you don't think you will go over their monthly allotment than KT is fine. I have the SKT unlimited plan which is 20,000 won a month (cheap!), but actually finding a SKT store carrying their egg was a real pain. I had to go to like 10 different stores and finally this guy told me he could order me one. On the flipside, pretty much all KT stores have their eggs in stock, so it's much easier to get from them. I am a heavy internet user so I preferred the unlimited plan on SKT.

Obviously home internet through cable is a lot faster - somewhere like 30MBS download/upload vs wibro's 6MBS/1MBS download/upload, but its not a huge difference in daily use. I can stream videos from youtube without problems and browse websites just fine. Only issue you might notice is if you video conference through Skype or Facetime a lot, because the upload is slower (the person receiving your video feed might notice crappy quality). Wibro is also much better than 3G service - even though theoretical download/upload speed might be similar. Not sure what it its called, but like the first byte to download on 3G is sometimes really slow, which makes everything seem to lag. You know visit a website, takes quite a few seconds for that page to begin loading. Wibro doesn't seem to have that problem. Everything works zippy and I'm more than content with it. I would recommend you getting the wibro for your purpose (home and taking it to work).
thurst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried gaming on your wibro? if so, was it laggy?
kimun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not a gamer and haven't ever tried playing online games through the egg, so not sure how well it would work for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: